John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I always turn ESS off but left it on the other day and noticed it wasn't stopping. I was happy my negative thoughts on the system disabled it but scrolling through the menu, it says aux battery is still charging. It says that all the time and ESS does not work. I added a bumper and winch over Christmas and I don't know how long it's been like this. It looks like from searching that the aux battery has issues taking a dump. Will they cover it with a winch? I have only used it once and that's when I rolled the line up on the drum. The engine was running when I did it. I have 18k on the truck so far
Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Does it says the aux battery is charging or just battery charging? As far as I know, there's no way to know if the aux battery is charging, it only knows through the battery sensor that the main battery is charging.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does it says the aux battery is charging or just battery charging? As far as I know, there's no way to know if the aux battery is charging, it only knows through the battery sensor that the main battery is charging.
It actually says it's not available and the battery is still charging. The truck starts fine, so I am guessing it's the small aux battery. I will call the dealer and schedule a visit.

Sponsored

olecarguy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2012 300, 08 Scion XB, 03 F350, 65 Cuda,
Occupation
Retired Auto Mechanic/Machine Technician/Engineer
I always turn ESS off but left it on the other day and noticed it wasn't stopping. I was happy my negative thoughts on the system disabled it but scrolling through the menu, it says aux battery is still charging. It says that all the time and ESS does not work. I added a bumper and winch over Christmas and I don't know how long it's been like this. It looks like from searching that the aux battery has issues taking a dump. Will they cover it with a winch? I have only used it once and that's when I rolled the line up on the drum. The engine was running when I did it. I have 18k on the truck so far
JDMWIFI, I have a 2020JT, delivered on 10/25, with 1600 miles. Most of these miles were put on in the 1st month since this is a 4th vehicle I currently have registered. Therefore, with it benign down for all the mods once the newness of the purchase subsided, I've only been driving it locally on a limited days per week. Right now, it can sit for 2-3 days before doing a local grocery run of 2-3miles. Initially, the Stop/Start worked all the time when not heating/cooling the cab. Then about 2 weeks ago I noticed the ESS wasn't working. Then yesterday, like you, when scrolling through the menus I came across the "Stop/Start System Disabled, Battery Charging" message. The vehicle starts/started fine, was charging at 14.7V. I too was contemplating stopping by the dealer to get the batteries checked. However, after driving it 38 miles at 40+MPH, the message when away and "ESS enabled" appeared and it began to work. Therefore, I would recommend driving it for about 45 minutes to see if the message changes.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Check this video out before going to the dealer.

JDMWIFI, I have a 2020JT, delivered on 10/25, with 1600 miles. Most of these miles were put on in the 1st month since this is a 4th vehicle I currently have registered. Therefore, with it benign down for all the mods once the newness of the purchase subsided, I've only been driving it locally on a limited days per week. Right now, it can sit for 2-3 days before doing a local grocery run of 2-3miles. Initially, the Stop/Start worked all the time when not heating/cooling the cab. Then about 2 weeks ago I noticed the ESS wasn't working. Then yesterday, like you, when scrolling through the menus I came across the "Stop/Start System Disabled, Battery Charging" message. The vehicle starts/started fine, was charging at 14.7V. I too was contemplating stopping by the dealer to get the batteries checked. However, after driving it 38 miles at 40+MPH, the message when away and "ESS enabled" appeared and it began to work. Therefore, I would recommend driving it for about 45 minutes to see if the message changes.
I will try that. I have to go to Richmond today. 1 hr away. Thank you.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
It actually says it's not available and the battery is still charging. The truck starts fine, so I am guessing it's the small aux battery. I will call the dealer and schedule a visit.
Hi @jmdwifi !

I saw that you're currently working with one of our dealers to get your concerns addressed. If you need any additional assistance while working with them, feel free to send us a private message! Otherwise, please keep us updated on the status of your vehicle. We hope everything gets resolved quickly!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Whatā€™s the part number or type of battery for the auxiliary. Pretty sure mine is dead.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Geekjeep

Caveat: Do not pull the Power Distribution Center to get to the Aux. battery. There are
a couple of YouTube Videos circulating that say do this..... Pulling PDC will / could very
well, cause you unneeded headaches.

Rather then OEM/Mopar, I'd probably go with this one:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Here is an Oreilly's Auto Parts offering if you want a cheapie:
O'Reilly Auto Parts

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14
How do you get it out without pulling it? Even the genesis dual battery install instructions say to pull it. Iā€™m not getting that system or anything. Just wondering how you would get it out and what headaches could happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I drove to Richmond on Friday. Itā€™s about an hour away and it shows the same thing. Iā€™m gonna call the dealer on Monday.

olecarguy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2012 300, 08 Scion XB, 03 F350, 65 Cuda,
Occupation
Retired Auto Mechanic/Machine Technician/Engineer
I drove to Richmond on Friday. Itā€™s about an hour away and it shows the same thing. Iā€™m gonna call the dealer on Monday.
As a follow up to my previous post. After vehicle sat without use for 48hrs I again had the Start/Stop not ready battery chargingā€. Took 20 miles of non-stop driving before I got a ā€œreadyā€ message and ESS started working. When engine running voltage is 14.4-14.6/7, when ESS activates voltage drops to 12.6/7 initially and drops depending on what accessories are on. I would expect this. Then back to 14.4+ when engine fires up.

I did notice an interesting phenomenon though once working. When stopped, with only light pressure on the brake peddle, but enough to hold the vehicle from rolling, ESS fails to activate. Slightly more pedal pressure and it activates. Seems that one can prevent ESS Activation by modulating pedal pressure once stopped, or at least I can. šŸ˜

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Do you guys know any other brands and part numbers that work. I can not get either of those in stock, been trying for weeks now

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @jmdwifi !

I saw that you're currently working with one of our dealers to get your concerns addressed. If you need any additional assistance while working with them, feel free to send us a private message! Otherwise, please keep us updated on the status of your vehicle. We hope everything gets resolved quickly!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
They replaced the battery but the visor buttons have never worked and I have been here since 7:30 this morning. They said they are waiting for Jeep to call them back about the visor. Whether to replace it or run more tests. This shit is annoying. I think Jeep should have a limit, if they donā€™t call within three hours, replace it.
Sponsored