Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - Snorkel would have made it worse as then the driver would have felt invincible.
It's not the depth, it's the currents.
Is it easier to push a log along the ground, or one sitting in a couple of feet of water?
Even cars and trucks become buoyant to a point in deep water.

37s?
Naw, would have made it worse. Inflated larger tires more likely to float.

Some people just don't get it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Too many times 4x4 vehicles give people a sense of invincibility. See it all the time in the winter on snow and ice covered roads.
Years ago I was listening to a local FM station while on my way to work during the tail end of a massive storm here - I'd call it blizzard conditions. I was in my big truck then trying to take it easy and avoid the fools - and the station had people call in to report accidents, road conditions, etc. A cabbie called in and told of the numerous SUVs and trucks he saw off the road - and how they were buzzing by him in "4 wheel stupid". Had to laugh. A professional driver making his living getting you there safely watching idiots go off the road left and right - most of them 4 wheel drive capable.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Happens often in southern AZ during the monsoon season. I'm sure the wash wasn't raging when he attempted to cross. On a couple of occasions I've stopped at washes that were less than a foot deep and watched them rise a couple feet in a matter of minutes. This year is a particularly wet monsoon season. At our house yesterday we had an inch of rain fall in just 30 minutes (out of a total of 5 inches for 2021.)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Happens often in southern AZ during the monsoon season. I'm sure the wash wasn't raging when he attempted to cross. On a couple of occasions I've stopped at washes that were less than a foot deep and watched them rise a couple feet in a matter of minutes. This year is a particularly wet monsoon season. At our house yesterday we had an inch of rain fall in just 30 minutes (out of a total of 5 inches for 2021.)
A friend posted a couple of videos on FB regarding the flooding in her area.
A couple of years ago we had 5" in an hour - it was the same night no rain was predicted, 0% chance, so I left my car out - open hood, two air cleaners sticking up through the hood......... yeah, they make good funnels.

Last weekend while driving to church my wife likes to look out over the Des Moines river when we cross it and point out how dry it's been, the sand bars and in one case, as she calls it, an island. It had grass and weeds growing on it the water had been so low for so long.
On the way back - 2 hours later, and we'd not had much rain at all in our area - the sand bars were gone and so was her little "island" in the river -you couldn't see a trace of it. I figure it rose a couple of feet in that time. And that's the RIVER. So I can imagine how a creek/stream, whatever, can rise faster than you can react.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
If you watch the video, it’s entirely likely the driver wasn’t trying to cross any of the water, but got caught in the flash flood going down one of the streets which washed the Jeep into deeper water.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
If you watch the video, it’s entirely likely the driver wasn’t trying to cross any of the water, but got caught in the flash flood going down one of the streets which washed the Jeep into deeper water.
The driver in the wash was near Tucson. The cars washing down the streets were in Flagstaff (northern AZ.)

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I'm only assuming he did something stupid because I probably would.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they had to let the waters come in, otherwise it would have been a boat and their tires wouldn't have hit the ground.
Wonder how the electric system is now?

Was there a lot of current in that or was it fairly mild?

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
I don't think folks from a lot of parts of the country understand just how fast things can go from bone dry to INSANITY in a few parts of our country. This is in a parking lot (not off the beaten path...driver was not out looking for adventure) at a visitor center at Zion National Park not long ago. Message - expect the unexpected. This guy and his family were in a full size truck and were able to ride it out....others were not as lucky.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think folks from a lot of parts of the country understand just how fast things can go from bone dry to INSANITY in a few parts of our country. This is in a parking lot (not off the beaten path...driver was not out looking for adventure) at a visitor center at Zion National Park not long ago. Message - expect the unexpected. This guy and his family were in a full size truck and were able to ride it out....others were not as lucky.
I live in Iowa - floods of 93. I know it's different and even more frequent in some areas, but it was one of those things where water came up into Valley Junction so fast, no warning, people were trapped in stores and cars washed away, homes blown off their foundations.
You pay attention to the weather forecasts around you. We get "flash flood advisory" and "flash flood warning" on our TV screens and phones. And it's not as bad by a long shot as what you've posted.
Sponsored