Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Jeep Gladiator 4xe Plug-In Hybrid Not Coming Until 2024MY: Report
It will arrive after Jeep updates the Wrangler for 2023.

https://www.motor1.com/news/551250/jeep-gladiator-4xe-2024-model/

Jeep confirmed earlier this year that there would be an electrified version of the Gladiator truck. Jeep didn’t provide a timeline for the plug-in hybrid, though the company has ambitious plans to offer an electrified option across its portfolio, including the pickup. We don’t know when it will debut. However, it might not be anytime soon. A new Mopar Insiders report says the Gladiator 4xe won’t arrive until the 2024 model year.

According to the publication, which cited an anonymous source from within Stellantis, the electrified truck will arrive after Jeep gives the Wrangler JL its mid-cycle refresh, which will arrive for the 2023 model year. We should see the redesigned Wrangler debut sometime next year, and those design updates will translate to a redesigned Gladiator that will arrive for 2024. The facelift will include the Wrangler Unlimited’s hybrid powertrain, which also propels the Grand Cherokee 4xe.

The current 4xe powertrain pairs two electric motors to a turbocharged four-cylinder and the TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic gearbox, delivering 375 horsepower (280 kilowatts) and 470 pound-feet (637 Newton-meters) of torque. Jeep could tweak the powertrain for the refresh, extracting more power and efficiency from the setup, though we will have to wait for the debut to see if that happens. It’s also unclear what kind of design changes the Wrangler will receive, though it does have the new Bronco to compete against today.

Jeep had initially denied that it was developing an electrified Gladiator, though that didn’t stay the case for long. In June, it appeared Jeep low-key teased the electric Gladiator, with eagled-eye enthusiasts picking out numerous minor details that suggested the model was the electrified Jeep truck. It seemed as if such a model could be right around the corner, though the latest report paints a different picture – and it looks like we could be waiting more than a year for the hybrid truck to debut.
Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m ok with this. I want a PHEV Gladiator but I don’t think the current 4xe is the greatest fit for it. I have a 2022 coming so if it dropped in a 2022.5 update I’d be butt hurt but I’d be ok switching in 2024/2025

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
This is ok with me, I'm holding off on some mods worrying a 4xe is just around the corner, but if it's coming in 2024 I can just go ahead and do my mods and catch it in a few years

Sponsored

Dezerox

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate
i just have a hard time believing it will not be until 24....3 years after a wrangler....

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
the current platform would be a total crap show in the Gladiator, so makes sense to wait and see if they can come up with a better design for the whole thing. probably also means no 392 Gladiator until then.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
i just have a hard time believing it will not be until 24....3 years after a wrangler....

JL is due for a Mid-Cycle update in 2023. Which would translate to JT Mid-cycle update for 2024. That should mean Uconnect5 and 4Xe gen2.

Sponsored

Dezerox

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate
JL is due for a Mid-Cycle update in 2023. Which would translate to JT Mid-cycle update for 2024. That should mean Uconnect5 and 4Xe gen2.

UC5 will be UC6 by then lol. I mean I'd wait till 24 if it's a 4xe v6 but I'd take a 4xe Mojave right now and putt around on 25 miles every day and burn no gas. At least our gas prices are cheaper than other 49 states but I wouldn't mind taking kids to school, going to the gym, and working on no gas.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Which kinda tells you something about how awful the current setup would be in the Gladiator. They could copy/paste the basic install of the whole thing, use it to nudge their fleet mileage up, and yet they still won't do it.

My guess is both the payload and towing would be very problematic. The Wrangler Rubicon 4xe adds about 1,000lbs. Our trucks are already 800 heavier than the Wrangler.

You'd be looking at Gladiator Rubicon 4xe curb weight of 6,000+lbs in a truck that already doens't have great payload or towing, and then asking the I4 to move all of it at distance once the battery is depleted.

Dezerox

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate
Which kinda tells you something about how awful the current setup would be in the Gladiator. They could copy/paste the basic install of the whole thing, use it to nudge their fleet mileage up, and yet they still won't do it.

My guess is both the payload and towing would be very problematic. The Wrangler Rubicon 4xe adds about 1,000lbs. Our trucks are already 800 heavier than the Wrangler.

You'd be looking at Gladiator Rubicon 4xe curb weight of 6,000+lbs in a truck that already doens't have great payload or towing, and then asking the I4 to move all of it at distance once the battery is depleted.

very true!

I think another problem is battery location. Back seat is different in the gladiator and I don't know about y'all but I definitely use the under seat storage in my gladiator. Certain items just better under there than in the bed.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
the current platform would be a total crap show in the Gladiator, so makes sense to wait and see if they can come up with a better design for the whole thing. probably also means no 392 Gladiator until then.
Sadly I think it likely means no 392, ever. They've started killing off the 6.4 options starting that same model year.

Last edited: