0w40 Euro spec motor oil in the 3.6 Pentastar PSU

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
2023 JT Willys ZF | I did my first oil change today at 2100 miles. Used a Mopar oil filter and Mobil-1 0w40 Eurospec Oil. No, the engine did not spontaneously combust or turn into dust immediately after. Those effects need a few hundred miles of operation to fully mature ;).

I also disassembled and squeezed the oil out of the factory filter. Some very light dust and minor break-in metal flake for your viewing pleasure. Pretty impressive how clean these Pentastar break-in.

The engine has always been silent, but was immediately somehow even quieter both at idle and at 3k rpm, presumably sitting on the big lobe. I'll report back results periodically.

Jeep Gladiator 0w40 Euro spec motor oil in the 3.6 Pentastar PSU Oil fill
Jeep Gladiator 0w40 Euro spec motor oil in the 3.6 Pentastar PSU Filter media 1
Jeep Gladiator 0w40 Euro spec motor oil in the 3.6 Pentastar PSU Filter media 2
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Because it's my prerogative to use whatever oil I want. The fact that it also brings me extreme pleasure to know how badly some of the most senior contributors on this forum hate my decision ---well that's just a bonus ;).
How did you get all of that out of my question? I could care less what you do. I was just curious about the reasoning behind choosing a thicker oil, as I approach 50k miles in a desert climate.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Because it's my prerogative to use whatever oil I want. The fact that it also brings me extreme pleasure to know how badly some of the most senior contributors on this forum hate my decision ---well that's just a bonus ;).
wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children-think-of-the-children.gif

Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Interesting post.. years ago I asked the FCA Certified Trained to Level 5 for warranty work Technician at the local dealership about going up to 5w-30 wt. in the JKU.Tthe reply was it would work, just unsure about the effect the thicker oil might have on the VVT mechanisms; possibly slow the VVTiming.. Well so far on 5w-30 I have not detected any operational differences.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Jeep Gladiator 0w40 Euro spec motor oil in the 3.6 Pentastar PSU 1684544526196

OP
OP

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Mission success. There's been a mild disturbance in the pop culture echo-chamber. Independent thought and a search for objective truth have been established. Danger, Danger...

Well so far on 5w-30 I have not detected any operational differences.
You're a damned liar. Your engine murdered a pack of baby seals and then immediately transmitted HIV to you. Thats the obvious result of putting something other than the factory recommendation in it. Miscreant, just admit it.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Mission success. There's been a mild disturbance in the pop culture echo-chamber. Independent thought and a search for objective truth have been established. Danger, Danger...

You're a damned liar. Your engine murdered a pack of baby seals and then immediately transmitted HIV to you. Thats the obvious result of putting something other than the factory recommendation in it. Miscreant, just admit it.
Ha! That's just like me when posting that I change my oil every 3k miles on all of my Pentastars. Personal preference. But it sure raises the feathers on some! ;)

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Lots of Hyperbole here.

Of note, I used the 0W-40 in my Yamaha jet boat last year. The oil analysis came back on it nice. Iā€™d consider using it in my Mojave.

Sponsored

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I ran 10w-30 and even 10w-40 in my old 3.8 JK in the summer and it loved it. I would use 5w-30 in the winter. It was rated for 5w-20 I think. Ran it like that for 233k miles before I got rid of it. I also used the oil filter from the 3.7 motor which was twice the size. According to everyone else it should have immediately been dead. Engine ran the same at 200k as it did at 20k. Iā€™m a firm believer that changing it is more important than what brand. All modern oil is just fine unless your trying to push it to extreme intervals.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
2023 JT Willys ZF | I did my first oil change today at 2100 miles. Used a Mopar oil filter and Mobil-1 0w40 Eurospec Oil. No, the engine did not spontaneously combust or turn into dust immediately after. Those effects need a few hundred miles of operation to fully mature ;).

I also disassembled and squeezed the oil out of the factory filter. Some very light dust and minor break-in metal flake for your viewing pleasure. Pretty impressive how clean these Pentastar break-in.

The engine has always been silent, but was immediately somehow even quieter both at idle and at 3k rpm, presumably sitting on the big lobe. I'll report back results periodically.

My second engine also broke-in real nice too. So far in 21k kms, Iā€™ve changed my oil about 8-9 times now, all have oil analysis reports. Iā€™m a data hound and want to know how wear metals are trending. This second engine, dealership installed, was accidentally overfilled to 12L by the tech and I took it on a
1560k km trip to BC. There must be at least 3 mountain passes to summit each way. Got it home and changed the oil and shit hit the fan. Hence all my oil changes and reports to watch if damage had occurred. Non detected.

So hereā€™s the thing with my history with FCA and warranty. You get a product with a ā€œwarrantyā€ and a rule book to follow to be in good standing with that warranty. The component might be dying for what ever reason - (my case) glycol consumption in the engine, glycol contamination in the transmission- FCAā€™s engineer stand on it ā€œitā€™s all goodā€, ā€œnothing wrong with itā€. I try to fix it and all hell comes down on me, warranty voided and I have figure it out.

Best practices to save what I had didnā€™t work and FCA didnā€™t have to make an ethical decision or critically think through what actually happened. I went off course with best practice and I paid for it.

OP, I read the specs on the Mobil 1 site for the 0/40 you used and Im happy to read, at the very least, the oil is specā€™d for gasoline and diesel engines. šŸ‘šŸ»

Mobil 1 does say however ā€˜if you have a manufacturer warrantyā€™ follow their recommendations and schedules. So, youā€™ve given FCA and even Mobil 1 a reason to kick you down the road, notwithstanding your good practice to care for your engine the best you know how. You will get no sympathy, favour or ethical decisions for you if your engine does anything weird for a plethora of reasons and you need warranty work.

You will also not experience any of that from the ridged attitudes that express themselves here but I will feel empathy because itā€™s a nasty lonely road to travel.

I donā€™t know the engineering of this engine but I more so do of my lawn mower. It runs horrible on 0/20 and fantastic on 20/50.

I personally ā€œfeelā€ 0/20 is too light and Iā€™d rather run 5/30 but I know what will happen if I step out of line. Iā€™m still pulling the many boots out of my a$$ as eluded to above. Good luck with your decision. I canā€™t wait to see any oil analysis reports!

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I think you really just need to take a break and go outside or something. Take some time for yourself and realize that nobody really cares what you do with your Jeep and nobody is going to come to your house and take away all your oil or change it out for you because you're using something else. You are an adult. Like someone said in your last thread, "you can use olive oil for all we care".

You are, and always have been, free to put in whatever oil you wish. Nobody has ever said you can't. We're proud of you for recognizing that. You are not alone.
Sponsored