Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
With all the power outages around me in the winter, electric only vehicles suck. So a hybrid with a decent sized engine is warranted. Due to lack of always reliable winter charging.
We rely on gasoline generators just to get us through. Some neighborhoods to lose power for a week or more at times is not unusual. Those who live in the same power grid as hospitals are the lucky ones, they get power back first. I don't live near a hospital.
I have hopes the solar and the electric motors and such do get more efficient and user friendly. In time I suppose. Just like steam, diesel and gasoline weren't that great when first utilized.
The batteries for electricity storage will hopefully have a breakthrough technology that can be utilized by the masses. Capacitors and such.

Until such a time, I will rely on my anemic gasser. I have no problem with that.
August 2020 - a week without power. We've had other times where we've gone hours, even days, no power. You go to bed with full power, wake up to find it's been out since right after you went to bed and the estimated time is 9pm that night. So power comes back on, every AC (or furnace) in the township is running.
There's a lot to be done before we're to the point EVERYONE can go to these, but if they come in through attrition, slowly, and the grid is updated over time, it will be fine.
We just can't rely on things electric.
It was mentioned about a 200 amp service - we already have our box full and several of the breakers are those dual breakers where you take one spot and it's split to two circuits. Before this 200 amp box, our other 200 amp box was so full they had sub-panels below to handle the heat pump system! We were not only full, but had no room to add any other circuits at all. Getting more power to our garage would mean tearing up concrete since it's not attached. And there's another issue for hundreds of thousands of people - homes with the detached garage.
There's a lot to deal with. Everyone assumes things elsewhere are exactly as they are where they live. Not the case. Hell, we don't even have broadband internet here and even offering to pay the company 40 grand to get them to build out here - they refused saying it's not that simple.

Face it folks - this country is way behind the curve on many things. And where YOU live is not a perfect example of where others live. You can't say it's fine because it happens to be fine where YOU live.
Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 will be fine for an unmodified JT. As a matter of fact, FCA should make a 2 wheel drive JT just for the 4Xe, so every one can feel good about driving around town in a lightweight, economical, midsize Jeep truck,.... if thats your dream vehicle. If you don't do trails, and just want to go to the corner store on pavement, or let the kiddo's drive it to High school, it should be just fine.

If I could re-do my purchase, I would have done the 392, with 40's and an 8" lift. I don't want a California compliant, sissy la la Jeep Truck. I want my fair share of that mysterious carbon foot print.

Get a battery powered Renegade with a utility trailer if you want mileage on pavement and the ability to haul 1k lbs. of cargo so you can feel good about what you drive. Or buy a Rivian or the new Hummer Truck, they are cool for city slickers that are weekend, dirt road fishermen.

Lost Cosmonaut

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave - Gobi
I would probably have gotten the 4xe on my JT if it was available. Seems like a great option, the fact that they sandwiched the electric motor between the I4 and the transmission seems really smart to me. It means maintenance and future part replacement are easy since more parts are shared.

That said, we all know the Mojave deserved the 392 and the only reason FCA didn't do it is because they were afraid of losing TRX sales.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No you're not who I'm referring to, because you bought the Gladiator even though 4xe wasn't available. They had your sale anyways.
True. But just barely by the thinnest margin.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.0 will be fine for an unmodified JT. As a matter of fact, FCA should make a 2 wheel drive JT just for the 4Xe, so every one can feel good about driving around town in a lightweight, economical, midsize Jeep truck,.... if thats your dream vehicle. If you don't do trails, and just want to go to the corner store on pavement, or let the kiddo's drive it to High school, it should be just fine.

If I could re-do my purchase, I would have done the 392, with 40's and an 8" lift. I don't want a California compliant, sissy la la Jeep Truck. I want my fair share of that mysterious carbon foot print.

Get a battery powered Renegade with a utility trailer if you want mileage on pavement and the ability to haul 1k lbs. of cargo so you can feel good about what you drive. Or buy a Rivian or the new Hummer Truck, they are cool for city slickers that are weekend, dirt road fishermen.

Your statement suggests that you dont know that the 4xe makes TWO HUNDRED foot pounds more torque than the Pentastar.

It will be an excellent trail machine. (PS electric motors make 100% of their peak torque at 0 rpm)

Sponsored

Lost Cosmonaut

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your statement suggests that you dont know that the 4xe makes TWO HUNDRED foot pounds more torque than the Pentastar.

It will be an excellent trail machine. (PS electric motors make 100% of their peak torque at 0 rpm)
I'll just leave this here. ;)

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll just leave this here. ;)

So again, you are showing that you don't know how hybrids work.

;);););)

I'm not talking about running it in full electric mode. I'm talking about leaving it in hybrid mode and letting the computer manage everything.

In that case, the electric will be brought in to assist the gas engine and produce the full rated 475 ft lbs of torque. Then when you are coasting or idling or cruising, the gas engine will recharge the battery so that it has enough power to boost the gas engine again when needed.

Its interesting that Chrysler and all the "influencers" are only talking about running it in electric mode. Its confusing people like you. And you are far far better informed than the average consumer.

My point is simple. Leave it in hybrid mode and the thing will look, sound, and drive like a regular car with 370 hp and 475 ft-lbs of torque. Its range will be limited by the fuel in the tank and when you fill it back up, its ready to go again. The only difference is that you will get better fuel economy than a traditional power plant with that kind of power.

Last edited:

Lost Cosmonaut

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So again, you are showing that you don't know how hybrids work.

I'm not talking about running it in full electric mode. I'm talking about leaving it in hybrid mode and letting the computer manage everything.

In that case, the electric will be brought in to assist the gas engine and produce the full rated 475 ft lbs of torque. Then when you are coasting or idling or cruising, the gas engine will recharge the battery so that it has enough power to boost the gas engine again when needed.

Its interesting that Chrysler and all the "influencers" are only talking about running it in electric mode. Its confusing people like you. And you are far far better informed than the average consumer.

My point is simple. Leave it in hybrid mode and the thing will look, sound, and drive like a regular car with 370 hp and 475 ft-lbs of torque. Its range will be limited by the fuel in the tank and when you fill it back up, its ready to go again. The only difference is that you will get better fuel economy than a traditional power plant with that kind of power.
You misunderstand, I was posting that to support your opinion that it would still be a good trail rig. I know how it works. The fact that it went so long is interesting, but the power and torque was clearly enough to make it a good trail rig, which is to be expected.

I'm for the 4xe all the way. If they had made a Gladiator with the system, I'd probably have one now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Its interesting that Chrysler and all the "influencers" are only talking about running it in electric mode. Its confusing people.........................
Totally agree. Why the hell are these rags and blogs, and that's ALL they are any more - none are professional, why do they keep talking about "miles on battery" - who gives a rip???
Stop talking about battery capacity as if a hybrid is meant to run off that battery. It is not. That's an assist, not the primary source of power. They sure don't talk that way about the Prius or any other hybrid vehicle - they talk about power, torque and mpg - not how far it will get you if you have no gas.
Influencers - what a joke, what a crock. Why do people let themselves get so easily influenced? Any idiot can create videos or a blog and write as if they are some big NYT journalist and people will line up and fall over themselves to be influenced.
Social mediocre and instacrap and even the web - blogs and influencers........ ugh.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
August 2020 - a week without power. We've had other times where we've gone hours, even days, no power. You go to bed with full power, wake up to find it's been out since right after you went to bed and the estimated time is 9pm that night. So power comes back on, every AC (or furnace) in the township is running.
There's a lot to be done before we're to the point EVERYONE can go to these, but if they come in through attrition, slowly, and the grid is updated over time, it will be fine.
We just can't rely on things electric.
It was mentioned about a 200 amp service - we already have our box full and several of the breakers are those dual breakers where you take one spot and it's split to two circuits. Before this 200 amp box, our other 200 amp box was so full they had sub-panels below to handle the heat pump system! We were not only full, but had no room to add any other circuits at all. Getting more power to our garage would mean tearing up concrete since it's not attached. And there's another issue for hundreds of thousands of people - homes with the detached garage.
There's a lot to deal with. Everyone assumes things elsewhere are exactly as they are where they live. Not the case. Hell, we don't even have broadband internet here and even offering to pay the company 40 grand to get them to build out here - they refused saying it's not that simple.

Face it folks - this country is way behind the curve on many things. And where YOU live is not a perfect example of where others live. You can't say it's fine because it happens to be fine where YOU live.
So true

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I'm just here to read and laugh.

If they offer a JT 4Xe I'm in.

Torque for 37s without regearing and then I can park it in the Green/EV/Hybrid spots at work and piss them off. I'm an adult child at 42 yo and I'm easily amused.........as my old boss in high school use to say. "fuck em if they can't take a joke"

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Totally agree. Why the hell are these rags and blogs, and that's ALL they are any more - none are professional, why do they keep talking about "miles on battery" - who gives a rip???
Stop talking about battery capacity as if a hybrid is meant to run off that battery. It is not. That's an assist, not the primary source of power. They sure don't talk that way about the Prius or any other hybrid vehicle - they talk about power, torque and mpg - not how far it will get you if you have no gas.
Influencers - what a joke, what a crock. Why do people let themselves get so easily influenced? Any idiot can create videos or a blog and write as if they are some big NYT journalist and people will line up and fall over themselves to be influenced.
Social mediocre and instacrap and even the web - blogs and influencers........ ugh.
Im not sure who is influenced by these people but the only thing they influence me to want to do is punch them in the mouths.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
The market it there for the taking if the price is right. Would be the only PHEV in the mid-size truck segment. The power / torque would be worth it, and off-roading in all electric would be amazing with the top down. BRB gonna judge a vehicle based on it's size of lift and tires lol. 90% of the PHEV vehicles for sale today have an all electric range of 15-30, but it's all about the assist, not the pure electric, but it's there if you need it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just here to read and laugh.

If they offer a JT 4Xe I'm in.

Torque for 37s without regearing and then I can park it in the Green/EV/Hybrid spots at work and piss them off. I'm an adult child at 42 yo and I'm easily amused.........as my old boss in high school use to say. "fuck em if they can't take a joke"
Regardless of what I get, I may buy the charging door for the front cowl just so I can park in the EV spots. There are a ton of them in greater Boston.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You misunderstand, I was posting that to support your opinion that it would still be a good trail rig. I know how it works. The fact that it went so long is interesting, but the power and torque was clearly enough to make it a good trail rig, which is to be expected.

I'm for the 4xe all the way. If they had made a Gladiator with the system, I'd probably have one now.
I apologize. I thought that you were referencing the fact that they only got 5 miles range electric on the trail and suggesting that that would make it inadequate for trail use.
Sponsored