First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
To clarify it's a hybrid system correct? Powered by a 4 banger with elect motor back up, regenning power to a battery? Is the 4 a turbo 4?

I had a system like this in my ford sedan. Was awesome..... For a sedan. Regen down hill, when breaking, elect motor 100% at some speeds (sub 15 mph). Silent cruising down the freeway was cool. Buuuut at speed on the free way you needed the eng 90% of the time due to drag.

Funny it got better mpg in the city than freeway, 42ish vs 38ish hwy.

It's a great system for a commuter. I have huge reserve abought it as a tow rig.

Dave can you add?

Towing, you'll burn up the battery reserve in no time, the drag weight and wind resistance will need a power reserve ie fuel to move it. Once the battery is drained you have no elect motor back up only a 4 banger to move the rig. You'll not be able to regen as you need power 100% to move the mass.

Same issue as highway driving you need more constant power all the time to move the rig through the air. As poor of an ero package as the JT has, you'll end up needed the motor 90+% of the time, I'm not seeing a huge fuel savings, and the power loss vs the v6 or def the Diesel will be big.

Off road, maybe it will shine with lots of slow speed, high torque from the electric motors.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
What would the 4cyl tow by itself in the Gladiator? The Wrangler, all motors are 3,500lbs, limited by the vehicle. So not sure the capability of the motor itself.

There is nothing in the Wagoneer but Hemis.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The reason the 2 door version of Wrangler will not be sold in the EU in the future is because of lack of battery space for the hybrids. EU is moving electric, Jeep is planning. All future hybrids must have room for batteries like the 4 door wrangler has in the back seat area.
A lot of where that new system goes will depend on battery placement.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
What would the 4cyl tow by itself in the Gladiator? The Wrangler, all motors are 3,500lbs, limited by the vehicle. So not sure the capability of the motor itself.

There is nothing in the Wagoneer but Hemis.
Well if the 4xe is good or strong enough for the new GC.......it's not far fetched.

There is more space under the rear seat of a gladiator then there is under a JL....and the 4xe is in the JL now.

Feel free to discuss

Kmeeks99

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Maybe my cancelled/unaccepted order is a hint and preparing me for better options. Shit I'd take a 4xe JT Rubicon 375hp/470ftlbs........hell yes. My commute to work is only 14 miles a day.

I don't care, torque for 37s w/o a diesel or supercharger on a weak V6
Was your order seriously cancelled/I accepted?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
To clarify it's a hybrid system correct? Powered by a 4 banger with elect motor back up, regenning power to a battery? Is the 4 a turbo 4?

I had a system like this in my ford sedan. Was awesome..... For a sedan. Regen down hill, when breaking, elect motor 100% at some speeds (sub 15 mph). Silent cruising down the freeway was cool. Buuuut at speed on the free way you needed the eng 90% of the time due to drag.

Funny it got better mpg in the city than freeway, 42ish vs 38ish hwy.

It's a great system for a commuter. I have huge reserve abought it as a tow rig.

Dave can you add?

Towing, you'll burn up the battery reserve in no time, the drag weight and wind resistance will need a power reserve ie fuel to move it. Once the battery is drained you have no elect motor back up only a 4 banger to move the rig. You'll not be able to regen as you need power 100% to move the mass.

Same issue as highway driving you need more constant power all the time to move the rig through the air. As poor of an ero package as the JT has, you'll end up needed the motor 90+% of the time, I'm not seeing a huge fuel savings, and the power loss vs the v6 or def the Diesel will be big.

Off road, maybe it will shine with lots of slow speed, high torque from the electric motors.
They have done a brilliant job in my opinion. I tried to download the programming to see how they are handling the torque demand, cause it is on point.

It has a lithium Iron phosphate battery at 17Kw. For reference a 1900 square foot home takes 7kw. Being that it is not lithium ion it is about 120lbs lighter and its median power transfer is about 15% better. It charges faster and it lays out power better. TO add to this it houses a ZF electric power module in place of the torque converter. My guess is they are utilizing the 300kW version which is 400hp. My guess is they derate it a bit for longevity.

With all this said, It is a hybrid system. The powered TC works in tandem with the turbo 4cylinder. Their power can be additive and often is in hybrid mode. it will drive on battery only for about 30 miles. then it pops on the gas motor. It does not stop using the electric motor. it has reserved a huge chunk of the battery for hybrid driving and usually goes the distance of the gas tank unless it is really hot out and you are using alot of AC. So pretty much all the time you have access to the 370hp and 470 ftlbs.

We have 10K on ours and it is a stout power pack, and I think it would pull great

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

Sponsored

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Short and sweet. The new Wagoneer platform has the same 4xe as the Wrangler.
Do you have a source for this? The Grand Cherokee has the 4xe but did they also announce it for Wagoneer?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
Thank you, but those citations do not say what the OP claims. For example (emphasis mine):

"What exactly powers a possible Wagoneer 4xe remains a mystery. It's possible Jeep calls on the Wrangler 4xe's 375-hp setup, which uses a turbocharged four-cylinder engine and two electric motors. That said, the brand might also forgo the Wrangler 4xe's turbo-four for a larger V-6 gas engine in the Wagoneer 4xe so as to best or match the 392-hp rating of the Wagoneer's standard 5.7-liter V-8 engine."

and

"A plug-in hybrid 4xe Wagoneer is also coming, but we don’t know yet what will power it."

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
Replying to myself, the OP said: "The new Wagoneer platform has the same 4xe as the Wrangler."

Do we have any source for that specific statement? If not I'm going to continue to think the OP was confused about the Grand Cherokee 4xe which was literally announced today.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Replying to myself, the OP said: "The new Wagoneer platform has the same 4xe as the Wrangler."

Do we have any source for that specific statement? If not I'm going to continue to think the OP was confused about the Grand Cherokee 4xe which was literally announced today.
No. Thinking they mixed up Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer. There is no available offering from either Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer that isn't a Hemi 5.7 or 6.2. They ain't going Hemi and 4xe at least with the 2.0L as the base gasser in it.

There is only speculation about the Wagoneer line and 4xe setup, and the speculation includes the 'weakling' V6 as the foundation of that 4Xe lineup for it vs the I4.
Sponsored