Sponsored

2,000+ Mile road trip coming up in July - What are your favorite quality-of-life upgrades?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Educator
Hi Friends,

I've had my '21 Sport for about a year and a half, and we're planning to drive it from Louisiana to North Carolina in July for a vacation with my extended family. Now, usually my wife's Honda Pilot would be our road trip car (it's got a lot more creature comforts and gets better mileage on the long drives), but with the opportunity to drive on the beach in the Outer Banks, we couldn't pass up the choice to take the Jeep!

That said - it's about 2,000 miles round-trip (with two young kids in the backseat), so I'm curious - what are your favorite quality-of-life upgrades you've done to make your road trip a little more comfortable? For reference, I've got about as base of a Sport as it gets (three pedals, soft top, etc - only add on was the rear LSD) and the only real "upgrade" I've done so far is a bedliner and a Bulletpoint phone mount.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all suggest - appreciate ya!
Sponsored

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Just completed a long distance drive. DIY Headliner was a good upgrade but I see you have the soft top. I added the side pocket cubby for the center console. It fits snug enough where I didn't use the doublesided tape. I just slid it into place and it doesn't rattle or anything:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XYPFHXK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Another thing we wish we would've added were grab handles @darksidedesign here on the forum makes a good set.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/grab-handles-ordered.56082/

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Cushion for your butt. I drove mine up to Oxfor, MS and back to Katy, TX. After a while my butt was looking for some cushion.

Also some ear plugs for everyone cause the interstate can be kind a loud with a soft top if your going to cruise it along at 70 +

Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
A good bed cover. This will keep the cab clear of most of your belongings and road trip essentials. I say a good cover "one that is lockable and keeps the rain water out". With a bed cover you will have clearance issues with large ice chest. Consider this before loading up the ice chest. Several years ago on a cross country trip I used a roof top carrier placed in the bed of the truck for our luggage and clothing. Hit rain most of the way across (especially in Texas). The roof top carrier leaked and the articles on the bottom (my wife's) got soaked. She was not happy. Hope your trip goes well and your Gladiator gives you great service.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Last edited:

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
What a fun and hard question to answer. My wife and I just completed a 2200 mile round trip adventure to Colorado from So California to see our son. I think I agree with the 12v Fridge listed above, having cold drinks and food handy along the route kept us happy and not reliant on fast food. We had a few audio books available on our phones for entertainment on some of the longer stretches. Having Google offline maps downloaded on my phone helped in those spots we hit with no cell service. Beyond that, just had to have a great attitude, especially when we came up on a road closed sign and had to back track adding a couple hours to our days travels, but that just makes it more of an adventure.

Sponsored

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
A good bed cover. This will keep the cab clear of most of your belongings and road trip essentials. I say a good cover "one that is lockable and keeps the rain water out". With a bed cover you will have clearance issues with large ice chest. Consider this before loading up the ice chest. Several years ago on a cross country trip I used a roof top carrier placed in the bed of the truck for our luggage and clothing. Hit rain most of the way across (especially in Texas). The roof top carrier leaked and the articles on the bottom (my wife's) got soaked. She was not happy. Hope your trip goes well and your Gladiator gives you great service.
Yes...this. I forgot to add that to my list of mods above. That was one of the first things I added to my gladiator. If you look at Tyger brand on Amazon, is relatively affordable and keeps your things out of the elements!

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Agree with the above posts. You'll need something to keep all your luggage and gear dry in the bed. I recommend a lockable tonneau cover which comes in handy when stopping at restaurants, attractions, hotels, and the occasional Buc-ee's. A 12v fridge is also nice to have. I use a Bak-x4s revolver rolling tonneau cover and a Apicool fridge. The Apicool fits under the cover and will hold 2 cases of beer, or subtract beer for water, soda's, and sandwich making items. The setup works for me. We hit the road tomorrow for several days in the mountains for an end of school trip. Including some off-roading.
Jeep Gladiator 2,000+ Mile road trip coming up in July - What are your favorite quality-of-life upgrades? IMG_8906
r

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
Hi Friends,

I've had my '21 Sport for about a year and a half, and we're planning to drive it from Louisiana to North Carolina in July for a vacation with my extended family. Now, usually my wife's Honda Pilot would be our road trip car (it's got a lot more creature comforts and gets better mileage on the long drives), but with the opportunity to drive on the beach in the Outer Banks, we couldn't pass up the choice to take the Jeep!

That said - it's about 2,000 miles round-trip (with two young kids in the backseat), so I'm curious - what are your favorite quality-of-life upgrades you've done to make your road trip a little more comfortable? For reference, I've got about as base of a Sport as it gets (three pedals, soft top, etc - only add on was the rear LSD) and the only real "upgrade" I've done so far is a bedliner and a Bulletpoint phone mount.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all suggest - appreciate ya!
Driving on the sand in OBX is very fun. What part of OBX are you staying?

From May 1 - Sep 30, driving is limited to Corolla/Carova up North where the horses are and Hatteras Island and Ocracoke down South. You'll need a permit for the South and a parking permit for the North (if you park). Don't forget to air down.

Check out a couple of JTs on the beach: https://www.outerbanks.com/driving-on-the-beach.html

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Driving on the sand in OBX is very fun. What part of OBX are you staying?

From May 1 - Sep 30, driving is limited to Corolla/Carova up North where the horses are and Hatteras Island and Ocracoke down South. You'll need a permit for the South and a parking permit for the North (if you park). Don't forget to air down.

Check out a couple of JTs on the beach: https://www.outerbanks.com/driving-on-the-beach.html
Bravo, good point. Air down and inflation equipment a must for beach driving. A few more $$$ for that. J.E.E.P; Just Empty Every Pocket... Lol.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
A 12 volt refrigerator is a great edition, especially traveling with young kids. I would look for some form of electronic entertainment for the kids. If driving on the beach you will need a compressor or other way to air up your tires. Don't push it make time for brakes for the kids, makes the trip enjoyable for all.
Sponsored