**2020 Jeep Gladiator official pics and specs**

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Someone replied to me that two hard tops meant black and paint matched, but I agree, this is a great opportunity to repurpose the power top technology given concerns over how a soft top might fold down, if at all, beyond sunrider (i.e. 1st) position, and not block a rear view.
It would be tough to make the power top work, imo. In the JL, the top accordions up over the cargo area. Not a whole lot of space behind the rear seats in the JT.
Sponsored

USAFRecon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 C10, 14 Cooper S, Soon: Gladiator
Occupation
IT Guy
New here, joined up to join in on discussions of the Gladiator. Found this place out yesterday thanks to Jalopnik, and I am OBSESSED! They are finally making a Jeep truck! Been teasing us for way too long.. So I am currently Jeepless, I almost bought a slightly used JK a few weeks ago but the dealer and I couldn't agree on prices and terms and dang am I glad it didn't work out. I am in a very good position to pick up a Gladiator later next year. This'll be my 6th Jeep. Profile pic was my first which was an 01 Sahara that had to be sold as I couldn't keep it. Besides that 2 XJs, a ZJ, and I had an 11 JKU. Been in the Jeep community for a while but been Jeepless for about 2 years now sadly. Hopefully that will be remedied next year.

I am debating an Overland judging by the specs on the so named thread, but I have always been a sucker for a Rubi ever since I bought my TJ back in 07. Choices choices... I do think I will special order one, which from what I gather reading here so far, will save me money up front and I won't have to deal with the dealer markups. Also lets me get the exact Jeep I want. I will be patiently waiting until the LA Auto Show for more details, and I will be glued to this board.

TheSwiss

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ; 1998 TJ; 2012 JKUR, 2016 WK2
I was hoping that the JT would come out with a base spec model with a 6 spd and manual everything for around $35k. I know they tend to release the high end models first, but hopefully there is a budget Sport version for us average Joes.
Hope so as well. Base 4x4 Taco is $27k, the doublecab 4x4 TRD with locker $36k.

I'm really hoping that you would be able to access the bed from the cab without having to step over the tub and bed. If those leaked CAD drawings are legit then it doesn't look good :( . That was one of the coolest features of the the H2 SUT. This would be so badass!! .

HummerSUT.jpg
Agreed. An integrated bed like that would have been a dream to build the ultimate overlander.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It would be tough to make the power top work, imo. In the JL, the top accordions up over the cargo area. Not a whole lot of space behind the rear seats in the JT.
If it happens, I’m speculating that it will accordion above the rear seats, only exposing the front two. There was a spy pic which showed what appeared to be the interior retracting mechanisms of that top.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I think we all missed this is the description:

"Suspension tuned to optimize on-road handling and ride comfort without sacrificing off-road capability, payload or towing capability"
I noticed this as well. I really hope they made it a better on road driver then the JK and even the JL as those of us Overlanding in them will be driving distances in them and my JKU is wear on you for anything over 2 hours.

Sponsored

USAFRecon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Guy
Are you talking about the "Sky One Touch Power Top" found on the Sahara?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot
That's truly an excellent engineering point Dave. I was thinking it a great opportunity for the power top because I was thinking along the lines of the engineering limitations of a soft top in this situation, and that I'm not quite sure how it would fold completely back without taking up truck bed space, or somehow blocking the driver's rear view. But you're absolutely right. That power top needs space in the back to hold its folds when open.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
That's truly an excellent engineering point Dave. I was thinking it a great opportunity for the power top because I was thinking along the lines of the engineering limitations of a soft top in this situation, and that I'm not quite sure how it would fold completely back without taking up truck bed space, or somehow blocking the driver's rear view. But you're absolutely right. That power top needs space in the back to hold its folds when open.
I suppose it's possible that they could use a roll up solution, like an extendable awning. But I can't imagine that FCA would want to design yet another new roof system, when they clearly want as much commonality between JL and JT as possible.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
My hopes for a 2 door are fading. I have no need for four doors.
I could not agree more. This has a five foot bed - 60 inches!!! Really!?!

That's awful - way, way too short. Please, please make an extended cab or regular cab so there's a decent size, pick up-worthy bed!!!

Sponsored

USAFRecon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Guy

That's awful - way, way too short. Please, please make an extended cab or regular cab so there's a decent size, pick up-worthy bed!!!
I mean most mid-sizes have 60'' beds. The Taco's shortest offering is 60, Colorado's is 61.2, the Ranger will be at 60. Sure all those offer longer beds but for the most part a mid-size bed will be right at 5 feet. Plenty of room. I figure if you need more bed than that get an extender or a 1/2 ton truck.

MojitoWrangler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
My dealer told me 4 door only. The take rate on 2 door JL only 10% now. He predicts 4 door only soon and everything electric soon

The good news is my service mgr says he will do a Hemi, AWV Bumper and 35” tires for me when it comes in. I would prefer a 2 door and thought about getting the Colorado but a 4 door Hemi is better
Any idea how much your dealer will charge for the hemi installation?

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep

For the JT to be a capable truck fitting to wear the Jeep name the engineers likely had very strict guidelines on how they could design it and at the same time checking all the boxes that make it a Jeep. Make the bed too long and the departure and overhangs suffer considerably. Make the wheelbase too short and it effects towing capability and handling under towing conditions. Make the bed longer and the cab smaller then passenger room and marketability suffer. Make the bed longer and its off-road capability suffers. Make it a single or extended cab and you alienate a wider audience while catering to a small population of truck owners. In a perfect world a Jeep truck would check every box and be the most capable truck and Jeep ever produced, but that is way easier to say than to actually accomplish.

It would be nice to see various cab and box configurations, but Jeep had said very early on that it is a "lifestyle" vehicle and they are not trying to compete with other mid-size truck manufacturers or to gain fleet sales with the JT. A 5' bed likely fit within the guidelines the engineers had to play with and was the best compromise between being a truck and being a Jeep. Just wearing the Jeep and trail rated badges holds quite a bit of weight in the engineering department and the JT wouldn't make sense for them to produce if it didn't check all those boxes. It is a compromise we will all have to life with if purchasing or look elsewhere for a truck with a longer bed. I think when you look at it objectively as to what makes a Jeep a Jeep the JT's form makes sense. Go anywhere, do anything. And haul your beer and buddies!

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
55 Willys Wagon
A couple initial thoughts...It'd be great if the tailgate folded down and swung away like the old station wagons or the Ridgeline. I'm sure there will be great fiberglass caps for the bed. I have a feeling they will be appealing to the over-landing buyer as well. (note the optional Overland branding...). WE'll see some cool bed racks and roof top tent set ups.

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
It would be nice to see various cab and box configurations, but Jeep had said very early on that it is a "lifestyle" vehicle and they are not trying to compete with other mid-size truck manufacturers or to gain fleet sales with the JT. A 5' bed likely fit within the guidelines the engineers had to play with and was the best compromise between being a truck and being a Jeep. Just wearing the Jeep and trail rated badges holds quite a bit of weight in the engineering department and the JT wouldn't make sense for them to produce if it didn't check all those boxes. It is a compromise we will all have to life with if purchasing or look elsewhere for a truck with a longer bed. I think when you look at it objectively as to what makes a Jeep a Jeep the JT's form makes sense. Go anywhere, do anything. And haul your beer and buddies!
The 5' bed will open up plenty of more room for hauling things around outside of my current 38" rear cargo room in the WK2. I've been playing "I'm going to buy a truck" game for some time now and it makes sense for me to actively look at the JT. The 1/2 ton trucks are massive IMO for what I would need it for and the bed length is not a compromise. If I was going to look at the Colorado, upcoming ranger, or Tacoma....I might as well hold out for a Jeep truck and keep it in the family (had Jeep for the past 16 years)
Sponsored