First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 C10, 14 Cooper S, Soon: Gladiator
Occupation
IT Guy
The 5' bed will open up plenty of more room for hauling things around outside of my current 38" rear cargo room in the WK2. I've been playing "I'm going to buy a truck" game for some time now and it makes sense for me to actively look at the JT. The 1/2 ton trucks are massive IMO for what I would need it for and the bed length is not a compromise. If I was going to look at the Colorado, upcoming ranger, or Tacoma....I might as well hold out for a Jeep truck and keep it in the family (had Jeep for the past 16 years)
My same thoughts. I have been needing a truck for a while and keep saying I will get one but now this comes out. It's dead perfect for what I need. Hauls 7600 pounds, has a decent sized bed, will fit 4 people and is a normal size for a truck. These new half tons are like aircraft carriers and it would be way too much truck for me.
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S (on order)
Very nice! If I was in the market for a very cool lifestyle truck... This is it!

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
I could not agree more. This has a five foot bed - 60 inches!!! Really!?!

That's awful - way, way too short. Please, please make an extended cab or regular cab so there's a decent size, pick up-worthy bed!!!
Colorado and Canyon are supposedly going to receive a mid-cycle update for 2020 model year, which I expect to address some of the cheapness of the platform (headlights, plastics, keyless ignition, etc.) compared to the JL/JT. ZR2 maintains appeal due to ability to configure as a two-door cab with long box. To me that's the perfect platform for the JT as well - take a foot off the cab and add it back to the bed.

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
Not seeing it in the pics of the soft top Gladiator, what kind of rear window will be on it? I don't mind soft tops ( rather get a hard top) but the soft top plastic windows will always go cloudy after awhile. Sound and visibility are my concerns. soft top only if I need to shave the cost so I can get my roman chariot!

Sponsored

zgn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ (2001)
"Gladiator"? Seriously? We shall see how well this goes.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Ultimately, I don’t think the name is going to matter. In 1987, I’ll bet there were plenty of “purists” who HATED the name Wrangler, but look where we are now. Design and functionality reign supreme.

zgn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ (2001)
Ultimately, I don’t think the name is going to matter. In 1987, I’ll bet there were plenty of “purists” who HATED the name Wrangler, but look where we are now. Design and functionality reign supreme.
Its a bit cheesy/tacky. Names can destroy products. You may be right, we shall see.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
For most of us on the forum, we are just going to call it the JT. Everyone who has been waiting for this thing won't care about the official name. There was a funny video about this posted in another thread.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
A couple initial thoughts...It'd be great if the tailgate folded down and swung away like the old station wagons or the Ridgeline. I'm sure there will be great fiberglass caps for the bed. I have a feeling they will be appealing to the over-landing buyer as well. (note the optional Overland branding...). WE'll see some cool bed racks and roof top tent set ups.
I hope Decked will make bed drawers for the JT. 200lbs each drawer and a 2000 lbs deck capacity for F-150's at $995 from what I saw on their site. That with an overland rack and other items strapped to the deck would be perfect for me. http://www.overlandtruck.com/products/decked-truck-bed-organizer

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I hope Decked will make bed drawers for the JT. 200lbs each drawer and a 2000 lbs deck capacity for F-150's at $995 from what I saw on their site. That with an overland rack and other items strapped to the deck would be perfect for me. http://www.overlandtruck.com/products/decked-truck-bed-organizer
The problem with the decked line is how much space is wasted in the bed. But since the bed on rhe JT isn’t a stepside design w/o wheel wells inside, they should be offering a system.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Man, I leave for hunting in the UP on Wednesday morning. Get internet back and learn of this post from ftl on YouTube, new pics, new states, new forum name. Can't wait for LA auto show info and videos.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Colorado and Canyon are supposedly going to receive a mid-cycle update for 2020 model year, which I expect to address some of the cheapness of the platform (headlights, plastics, keyless ignition, etc.) compared to the JL/JT. ZR2 maintains appeal due to ability to configure as a two-door cab with long box. To me that's the perfect platform for the JT as well - take a foot off the cab and add it back to the bed.
Exactly- I am not opposed to the crew cab and shorter bed. I think it’s great for those who prefer that configuration. What I take issue with is if this is the only configuration offered. If so, that’s dumb and the waste of a great opportunity for an extended cab or regular cab offering that will improve saled

Last edited:

Flamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A
Am I reading page 1 correctly - they are only offering 1 engine option for the first year, and it has that insanely stupid start-stop garbage?

A $50-60K truck with 1 flawed engine option?

If true - what is the work-around for that problem? Is there a simple mod?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
You can turn off the ESS from the factory, but you need to do it each time you start the vehicle. Check the JL Wrangler Forums for how people have turned it off permanently.
Sponsored