Sponsored

2021 JLURD comes with 4.10 axle ratio but JT doesn't?!?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I ran 37" muds on our H2 with no problems. Not sure you have the experience to justify that statement.

im not upset at all My budget allows for correction of anything. Doesnā€™t negate my statement at all though
The h2 needed every bit of that gearing for the 34s it came with

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
This. I think 37s look perfect on JT.

So which of the two works better on 37s with stock gears - gas rubicon (4.10) or diesel (3.73)? I've hearing from gas rubicon owners running 37s that they lost 8th gear. Will diesel have the same issue?
definitely the diesel and no 8th gear still happens with the diesel
Didnā€™t I see a different trans mates to the diesel? Are they both geared the same?

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I ran 37" muds on our H2 with no problems. Not sure you have the experience to justify that statement.
im not sure what problems you think upsizing tires causes exactly but if youā€™re here to say that H2 accelerates and tows on 37s like it did with the stock bfgs then you should probably just get off this section of the site.

the people actually getting 3.0s are discussing OPTIMAL gearing for various tire sizes. If changing gearing didnā€™t improve a vehicles performance with various tire sizes then the aftermarket for gears wouldn't exist. The stock ratio will work for 37s and even 40s in terms of driving around and shifting gears but on 40s itā€™s nowhere near stock. 4.88 is the right gearing for 40s with the same setup in the JL.

4.11 for 37
4.56 for 38
4.88 for 40
5.38 for 42+

these ratios will return RPMs to as close to stock without going over

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I think majority of people would disagree with those numbers.

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
You're talking 70% more torque at a peak that's 2,500 RPM sooner. It's a totally different ballgame and what is best for gas is NOT what is best for diesel.
I am wondering now what should I do with my diesel if I want to run 37s; I want to do a few rock climbing trails a year and rest of the time will be mud and snow as well as my daily driver. I kind want my 8th gear when long distance high way driving comes into play. i have only experienced changing gears in old z71 heavy Chevy.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I am wondering now what should I do with my diesel if I want to run 37s; I want to do a few rock climbing trails a year and rest of the time will be mud and snow as well as my daily driver. I kind want my 8th gear when long distance high way driving comes into play. i have only experienced changing gears in old z71 heavy Chevy.
My plan is to just get the 37s and run them for a while. Even going offroad. At that time, if I feel like I need to regear, then I will. However, after reading everyone's comments on running 37s, I'll probably just leave it stock.

Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
IF this can add anything to your discussion. I recently drove to Tennessee from Florida and back. I have a diesel running 35's, at 80mph @ right around 1900/2000rpm 8th gear getting 22mpg. In the mountains I shift to manual because cruise control downshift are harsh. I do not like cc in the mountains on either JT or GC we own. 70mph will drop rpm to about 1500

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
IF this can add anything to your discussion. I recently drove to Tennessee from Florida and back. I have a diesel running 35's, at 80mph @ right around 1900/2000rpm 8th gear getting 22mpg. In the mountains I shift to manual because cruise control downshift are harsh. I do not like cc in the mountains on either JT or GC we own. 70mph will drop rpm to about 1500
Like those numbers in hill countryā€¦..if I knew I could clear some rock trails with 35s and no bed dragging on incline and decent I would run 35s. Seems everyone is saying 37s for gladiators on the rock crawling trails (rubicon trail and others like it) I assume because of the longer wheel base catching on rocks

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Just as a comparison I just did the same drive with a gas 3.6 on 35s and returned 16.2 mpgs.
Sponsored