Sponsored

30k Service - do I need to do all these items?

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
You don't say! How old is the fluid? Are you going to fly it or flush it out with new stuff? It would be a real good test if you can squirt some out of a caliper and test it.
I got the truck end of January 2021. Truck did sit for 7.5 months from later 21 into 22 waiting for a transmission.
I’ll wait till the light reads red at 3% moisture then flush it.
Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
No offense to many of you guys, but to ignore a trained mechanic, with decades of experience, like @ShadowsPapa is just ridiculous when it comes to safety.

You expect your kids to listen to you because you have way more life experience than they do---yet wonder why they refuse to apply the lessons you had to learn the hard way.....
IMG_9417.jpeg

As a trained Harley mechanic [MMI 2017-2018] we're taught to always flush the clutch and brake systems every two years. It wasn't that way before but it definitely is now. This is out of the Owners Manual of my 2017 CVO Street Glide

IMG_9418.jpeg

And this is out of my service manual for the same bike. I can flush and bleed the brakes on any bike that doesn't have Antilock Brakes---but because I'm no longer working as an HD Tech I have to pay to get the brakes done every two years because only HD dealerships have DigitalTech2.

Do I very much suspect that the system can safely go longer? Yes, but when it comes to having a really great ABS System with all possible advantages then I'm definitely spending the coin to have this critical service done as I'm not giving up riding.

Re you guys who have given up riding due to the idiots on the road today, I understand but I just NEED to be out on my bike occasionally when the weather is good enough. Instead of 95% riding as I did from 2011 - 2020, now that I have the Jeep and live in Missouri the Jeep gets the call 90% of the time. I'd love to save the money of taxes, insurance, and maintenance but the joy I get riding way overcomes the cost.
There are technicians that have absolutely no clue. Some of these techs are my retired friends from my industry and from the auto industry. I wouldn't even let them touch my cars. Anyone can get a job as a technician at a dealership. I had a friend who flunked out of an aviation maintenance school, and soon after became an ASE certified mechanic for a BMW dealer.

I would never tell anyone to go as long as I have with my brake fluid. I'm just saying, for most of us, our brake fluid will last well beyond 3 years (moisture content and boiling point). I don't know PapaShadow, but he seems very knowledgeable on so many subjects. I have a high regard for his sharing moments. The information given on brake fluid is valid and not disputed.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
I got the truck end of January 2021. Truck did sit for 7.5 months from later 21 into 22 waiting for a transmission.
I’ll wait till the light reads red at 3% moisture then flush it.
I will be shocked if my 21 year old fluid is less than 4%.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
I just sent away for a tester just to see what my 21 year old brake fluid is at. I'm guessing I may need a few more lights on the indicator.
I received my brake fluid tester this morning. My 21 year old, dark colored brake fluid was at 2%. It was 1% when immersed in the fluid, but as I pulled it out the reading was at 2%. I would have thought I would have seen much worse. Well, I have a new tool that may or may not work.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I received my brake fluid tester this morning. My 21 year old, dark colored brake fluid was at 2%. It was 1% when immersed in the fluid, but as I pulled it out the reading was at 2%. I would have thought I would have seen much worse. Well, I have a new tool that may or may not work.
Is that right?! The oil is 21 years old!!? Im shocked.

Whats your reading on the Gladiator?

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
Is that right?! The oil is 21 years old!!? Im shocked.

Whats your reading on the Gladiator?
The Gladiator is out with the wife now, but I will check later. It just dawned on me that I have another Crown Victoria that I picked up from an auction about 10 years ago. It only has 70k on it with the original tires and I would assume original brakes / fluid. Headed out now to check it.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
The Gladiator is out with the wife now, but I will check later. It just dawned on me that I have another Crown Victoria that I picked up from an auction about 10 years ago. It only has 70k on it with the original tires and I would assume original brakes / fluid. Headed out now to check it.
It’s addicting having a new tool isn’t it?!
Just think of the potential of having that thing. Put up a sign at the end of your driveway, “$10 Brake Fluid Testing Centre”, you’d have a line up down the street!

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
As expected, it is greater than 4%. So I retested the first Crown Victoria and this time it also reads greater than 4%. Must have been a new tool glitch. I can't wait to see what the Gladiator reads.
Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? 20230223_094608
Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? 20230223_095016
Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? 20230223_095142

Last edited:

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
It’s addicting having a new tool isn’t it?!
Just think of the potential of having that thing. Put up a sign at the end of your driveway, “$10 Brake Fluid Testing Centre”, you’d have a line up down the street!
Assuming I remember where I put the tool after today. Tool cabinet, toolbox or on a shelf somewhere. My brake tools are in a cabinet but I feel it will get lost or broken with the other brake tools.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Assuming I remember where I put the tool after today. Tool cabinet, toolbox or on a shelf somewhere. My brake tools are in a cabinet but I feel it will get lost or broken with the other brake tools.
Tape it to the brake fluid reservoir or to the underside of the hood, firewall or shirt pocket.