Sponsored

37 inch spare tire

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
For those that put a 37" tire under the bed...how much did it take away in ground clearance from the stock tire? It's hard to tell from the photos how much more it appears to hang down. By specs it should be about an inch.

I've been thinking about going with a 35x10.5" tire under there to save some weight/space.
Sponsored

WMJEEPS

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
For those that put a 37" tire under the bed...how much did it take away in ground clearance from the stock tire? It's hard to tell from the photos how much more it appears to hang down. By specs it should be about an inch.

I've been thinking about going with a 35x10.5" tire under there to save some weight/space.
its not much at all vs stock but mine is on a stock steel spare wheel so only the tire width difference

Econn2000

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
I would be interested to know if there is a weight rating for what's holding the spare? I just ordered my lift and 37's and new wheels (didn't order spare yet wanted to see if it would fit, just answered).
This is a concern of mine. One day I looked under my 3/4 ton pickup to see my spare missing; the cable had failed, and at some point I lost my over-size spare without even realizing it. I hope to hell I didn't kill anybody!

WMJEEPS

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
This is a concern of mine. One day I looked under my 3/4 ton pickup to see my spare missing; the cable had failed, and at some point I lost my over-size spare without even realizing it. I hope to hell I didn't kill anybody!
Cable should be fine tire is not that much heavier than stock but if that is a concern you could always put a ratchet strap frame to frame and know it would stay

Sponsored

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running the spare on an aftermarket wheel? I have 35's on the Quadratec 1941 wheels. But, the 'holder' does not fit through the center of the wheel. Does anyone know of an alteration that would allow the 'holder' to fit - or any other ideas? I want to have the spare rotated through, thus the need to hold the 35 in the spare location. Thanks!
I have my 315/70/17 spare on a Procomp wheel underneath. I popped the center cap off and the tab from the lift fit right through the center. Yours should also as its set up same size as the original spare. Cranked it all up and with a little positioning all nice and tight.

Econn2000

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Cable should be fine tire is not that much heavier than stock but if that is a concern you could always put a ratchet strap frame to frame and know it would stay
I will definitely use a strap or some kind of additional insurance after that experience!

jeepdriva

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Have 37-12.5 nittos on methods. Wouldn’t it make sense to use a Narrower 37” tire to mount up on the stock steel spare rim?

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
i just switched out 35x12.50 spare for a 285 75r18 spare, the 285 being a bit taller tire, but the tread is above the bottom line of the hitch, the sidewall hangs just a touch below the bottom line of the hitch...easy 1.5" less hang down than the 12.50 wide tire...appears possibly up to 2" less hang down, section width of a 285 75r18 is 11.26", a 35/37x11.50 is 11.42", and of course the 12.50's are 12.5"...so by math alone 12.5 - 11.26 is 1 1/4" less hang down but it looks like more than that to me...my pics of this are on my instagram @gladiatoryyc, i run 37's but sport with open diffs and use as a truck, i rarely need a spare so a donut will easily do the trick should it ever be required, i looked at the 37x11.50's as next option but it's just another 7 lbs of rubber hanging out back there plus a little more hanging down into the snow or mud...so my rational just went for the 285 75r18. I got a 30.6 lb steel and the nitto ridge i chose was 69.4 lbs so 100 lbs hanging back there but it looks so much better now having that blob hanging down

Sponsored

jeepdriva

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Well just tried fitting partially aired down 37-12.5 nitto trail grap On aftermarket rim with a metal Cloak 3.5 lift. First of all I needed to use a tire spacer because of the size of the center hole the larger tire. The bracket that fits in the hole and holds the tire in place barely had any grip, scary. Def not made for a big wheel. Second what is not being said is that even in the posted photos above, the tire does not fit between the frame rails so it’s off center and when tightened looks cocked because the frame blocks it on one side because the heat shield won’t let you center it on the frame. Also the lift Has a larger rear track bar than stock glad and tire is def right against it but not sure that will hurt. Overall, can you crank it up there crooked or drop it a bit untigtened so it looks level? Yea, but.......really? Mine is Up and slightly Un level but I have a spare I guess. Looking forward to more aftermarket options For glad large spares. Also going to consider moving heat shield to outside Of frame So it can Lock up tight centered.

Jeep Gladiator 37 inch spare tire 1D7F63EA-181D-4507-8ADA-F6067E58CA30

Last edited:

j2paulino

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
PTA
I haven’t tried my 37” Milestar Pat partially aired down. My concern was if the cable would hold the extra weight of the larger tire and heavier aftermarket rim?

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
I have a 37" BFG KM2 mounted in the spare tire location.. its tight, but it fits.

Deleted member 30519

No way! I figured my 35x12.5 Duratrac spare wouldn't fit so I never bothered . I'm gonna try when I get back from vacation. This is off topic but with the extra weight of the Gladiator should I run few more lbs on the Duratracs? 30-31 psi seemed to be the sweet spot on my JL.

Butch2020JT

First Name
Walter akaButch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator (Ordered 9/20)
Occupation
Photographer
I know someone posted earlier that they fit a Nitto Ridge Grappler 37 inch spare tire under their gladiator aired up. Anyone else been able to do that with that brand or any other?
Hello... YES I have a 37" ridge grappler mounted and aired up. with aftermarket wheel as seen in picture UNDER / In the spare wheel . I just did a 5 tire rotation and had no trouble at all. She's close but fits without problem Check with whatever your choice of tires ACTUAL measurements are. the Ridge Grappler is 36.6" . ( 99% positive)

IMG_0789.jpg
Sponsored