Sponsored

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?
You are absolutely right on cost. But I bet the bean counters are looking at the folks making cash hand over fist at America's Most Wanted and figured they could cut the same kind of profit.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
You are absolutely right on cost. But I bet the bean counters are looking at the folks making cash hand over fist at America's Most Wanted and figured they could cut the same kind of profit.
No doubt the 392 is a runaway smash. I'm not doubting Jeep created a cash cow even cashier and cowier than the standard Rubicon. I just don't understand why. I'm questioning the value proposition. Who in their right mind is paying 79k for a 392 Wrangler when you can buy a Raptor High 37 for 81 or a TRX Level 1 for 83?

PJTree

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
But you don't have to stop every 250 miles to recharge, but I get your point. You can only run off-road on electric for about 20-25 miles.
I just ran an easy trail with someone who had the 4xe. The battery was full as they saved it for the trail. It was at 0% about 8 miles in. This was the start of a 4 hour expedition in which we climbed about 5000 feet. I am not sure what our altitude was when the battery died but it was at our first break/stretch. I am all for electric power but 8 miles worth of trail riding is nothing more than a novelty imho.

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just ran an easy trail with someone who had the 4xe. The battery was full as they saved it for the trail. It was at 0% about 8 miles in. This was the start of a 4 hour expedition in which we climbed about 5000 feet. I am not sure what our altitude was when the battery died but it was at our first break/stretch. I am all for electric power but 8 miles worth of trail riding is nothing more than a novelty imho.
Technology is great but full of compromises in the Jeep platform. I will take a "wait-and-see" attitude before jumping in on this.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
But what is the gas mileage on the highway? It has to better than a gas Wrangler, otherwise there's no point.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
But what is the gas mileage on the highway? It has to better than a gas Wrangler, otherwise there's no point.
I doubt it lugging around an extra 800lbs+ of batteries. Without battery charge the 4xe gets the worst mileage of any Wrangler and the Gladiator is only 1MPG behind the JLU in the city.

A stock JTR is 5050lbs.
A stock JLUR is 4449lbs.
A stock 4xeR is 5222lbs.

Pretty much no matter what, It's going to get worse mileage as it's almost 200lbs heavier than a JTR. The difference in weight is about what the difference is between a JLUR and a JLR.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I doubt it lugging around an extra 800lbs+ of batteries. Without battery charge the 4xe gets the worst mileage of any Wrangler and the Gladiator is only 1MPG behind the JLU in the city.

A stock JTR is 5050lbs.
A stock JLUR is 4449lbs.
A stock 4xeR is 5222lbs.

Pretty much no matter what, It's going to get worse mileage as it's almost 200lbs heavier than a JTR. The difference in weight is about what the difference is between a JLUR and a JLR.
In pure gas mode sure, but what about in hybrid mode? I don't think it's all or nothing. You can run pure electric for like 25 miles, you can run gas, or you can run auto/hybrid. And it has regenerative braking, so hybrid mode should last indefinitely

Edit: I looked up the epa rating for the 4xe Wrangler in hybrid mode. It is about the same as the current v6 in the Wrangler. 20 mpg overall. Not that great.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
In pure gas mode sure, but what about in hybrid mode? I don't think it's all or nothing. You can run pure electric for like 25 miles, you can run gas, or you can run auto/hybrid. And it has regenerative braking, so hybrid mode should last indefinitely

Edit: I looked up the epa rating for the 4xe Wrangler in hybrid mode. It is about the same as the current v6 in the Wrangler. 20 mpg overall. Not that great.
BMW iX = 83 mpg combined; Kia Nero 50 mpg combined. It can just be the extra 200 lbs. It must be something else. I assume the total weight.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-tbd-performance-v-8s-dead-for-grand-cherokee

Not altogether unsurprising that the JT won't get the 392 or XR. Wrangler has volume and direct competition on it's side. I wonder if they're even seeking to compete with Ranger Raptor?

On the 4xe and the ICE component. While the pentastar is used in the Pacifica, if I'm not mistaken, a 4 cylinder is used in each 4xe (2.0 in JLU and GC, 1.3 in Renegade/ Compass).

Jeep has implied that cooling while towing is why the 2.0 wasn't available in the Gladiator. So how does that change for a 4xe?

It was speculated on the Wrangler forum that the 20th Anniversary Rubicon concept may have previewed a new grille for the mid cycle refresh.

D256F879-9CCC-4E71-AE36-E59FE0537E8E.png

While the "slots" appear a bit shorter, eliminating the sheet metal between may yield more cooling area overall.

Could this be how they make the 2.0 work?
The 2.0 drives the 4xe, yes. The new 3.0 I6 is the same engine with 2 more cylinders. Literally the same.

I suspect the 3.0 I6 pairs directly with the 4xe platform and will be used in Stallantis’ large and high performance vehicles. I see it in the Gladiator, Grand Cherokee, Ram 1500s, Dodge vehicles, etc.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I wrote the check about a month ago so I am done for several years no matter what they do. My 3.6 goes just fine and gets poor MPG just like everything else in it's class. If I get an EV it will be a small plug in only for the market. My 14 Ram 2500 diesel and my new Gladiator will take me to the end.

Sponsored

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
392 would be pointless but I kinda like that grille refresh.

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
If the I6 does show up in the Wrangler/Gladiator. They will have to stretch the front from the windshield forward. Because the I6 is longer than the V6. The I6 2 cylinders longer. Who wants a longer JL/JT. The JT has a wheelbase of 137". The old 3G Power Wagon is 140". The 4G and up Power Wagons are 149" So where would the new JT wheelbase be. If it's over 140", be better off getting the Power Wagon.
Plus you would get the 6.4 and all for under 50k. You can order the power wagon option in a tradesman 2500 for sub 50k. I think the power wagon option is like 5k or 7500$ option last time I checked.

Just checked, ram just jacked up the price on power wagon. 60k starting for a 22’…. Still cheaper than a 392

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Plus you would get the 6.4 and all for under 50k. You can order the power wagon option in a tradesman 2500 for sub 50k. I think the power wagon option is like 5k or 7500$ option last time I checked.

Just checked, ram just jacked up the price on power wagon. 60k starting for a 22’…. Still cheaper than a 392
When I bought my PW in 2008. The PW option was $6,200. It listed for 42,000. Chrysler had a $4,500 rebate, I got a work discount of $4,500, plus trade of $5,000. I paid $29,000 for it.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I suspect the 3.0 I6 pairs directly with the 4xe platform
Probably.

and will be used in Stallantis’ large and high performance vehicles. I see it in the Gladiator, Grand Cherokee, Ram 1500s, Dodge vehicles, etc.
Yes, probably, to all but the Gladiator.

If they had cooling issues with the 2.0 (which they've implied), it probably won't be any better with the 3.0.

But if the concept grill is coming with the refresh, as was speculated on the jl forum, that could be how they make the 2.0 work in the Jt (4xe or otherwise).

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
LOL, Ford:
"There is no problem at all"
"Those are just noisy engines"
"There seems to be some isolated problems"
"The problem seems slightly larger than we expected"
"The problem is relatively wide spread and we're working to correct it"
"OK, there is a problem, but we don't know how to fix it"
"There is a service bulletin, please see your dealer"
"Yes, there is a service bulletin we'll need to diagnose"
"We're going to replace your cam phasers, but there are no available replacement parts"
"There is a global supply chain problem, we didn't cause that"

Sorry about your feels, I wish you luck. I don't expect Stellantis to have Ford design problems unless they are dumb enough to adopt Ford designs (which in 2022 is entirely possible).
Yeah sure, trust the Italian to do the jobs correctly... Name one italian product that is problem free!
Sponsored