Sponsored

4 extra gallons......where is it? Look MOM I can read with my eyes closed!!

rubicon4wheeler

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Safety Supervisor
Do these have electric in-tank fuel pumps? I assume they do since most (all?) new vehicles do now. If so, something to keep in mind is that the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in the tank. If you make a habit of always running it down to fumes before every fill-up, you're shortening the life of your pump. I'm betting that's why the fuel gauge is so conservative. I try to refuel when it gets down to somewhere between an eighth to a quarter-tank for that reason.
I came here to say this! Modern vehicles do NOT want their tanks to be run dry - the fuel pump relies upon the fuel to cool it, so you're shortening the life of your pump every time you run it too low.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
my tacoma is 19 years old and lives $20 of gas at a time and probably hasnt been over 1/4 of a tank is over a year and still has the OE pump HAHAHA (watch it die this week) its had more batteries put into it LOL. It think its the Original filter too

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
I came here to say this! Modern vehicles do NOT want their tanks to be run dry - the fuel pump relies upon the fuel to cool it, so you're shortening the life of your pump every time you run it too low.
Yes, but what is the actual failure rate? I've been part of this conversation on many forums.

With a N/A gas motor I'm less concerned. If it was boosted, the concern would shift to going dry, going lean in boost and kaboom. A much bigger problem.

This being a more utilitarian vehicle versus performance, has my concerns lowered.

Has anyone dropped the tank, and looked at the pump, pickup, pickup height, and if theres any baffling to the tank?

Im on mobile, but once I get on pc i will try to scour the site for the info.

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
I had 4 extra, and full tank on some of my paperwork, which doesnt jive well.

Is a Rubicon JT really 22 gallons?
mine is 22 for sure. I have had it to LOW on the range which kicks over under 10 mile on the dash and i have never pumped more than 20 gallons before. i really thought i was going to run out that time and i still had 2 gallons to go lol.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
mine is 22 for sure. I have had it to LOW on the range which kicks over under 10 mile on the dash and i have never pumped more than 20 gallons before. i really thought i was going to run out that time and i still had 2 gallons to go lol.
My last two fills with 10 miles to empty were 16.2 gal, and 17.4 gal, lol

Im doing about 600 miles this weekend, imma grab a 5.5 VP can, and see what she really goes till, 90 percent highway. Im a heavy foot, and live at 80 mph, so its not a hypermile journey, but a better range estimate at my 15 mpg, lol

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
my tacoma is 19 years old and lives $20 of gas at a time and probably hasnt been over 1/4 of a tank is over a year and still has the OE pump HAHAHA (watch it die this week) its had more batteries put into it LOL. It think its the Original filter too
does it have a metal fuel tank? We keep the older vehicles topped up to prevent rusting tanks :)

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
My last two fills with 10 miles to empty were 16.2 gal, and 17.4 gal, lol

Im doing about 600 miles this weekend, imma grab a 5.5 VP can, and see what she really goes till, 90 percent highway. Im a heavy foot, and live at 80 mph, so its not a hypermile journey, but a better range estimate at my 15 mpg, lol
That kind of range is why I bought my diesel! Some of these guys on here probably couldn't make 600 miles on TWO tanks of fuel. I'm over here trying it on one lol

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Also keep in mind, the fuel pump is at the rear of that tank. If you're running on fumes, and go down a hill (whether on a trail or on a road) all the fuel moves to the front and you could stall out.

Happened to me in my JK...

As soon as my "Fuel Level Low" indicator comes on, I just reset my Trip 2 odo and try and get gas within the next 30 miles.
You aren’t lying… the jk was so bad that I dreaded going lower than a 1/4 off road. Downhill it would starve the fuel pump insanely easy with the nose down.
Titan fuel tank helped…. Still only got around 180-200 miles to a tank (running bone dry)

E0D89F83-4FE2-4ADE-80D9-E91905029A33.jpeg

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
does it have a metal fuel tank? We keep the older vehicles topped up to prevent rusting tanks :)
not really sure. Its an '04. and been in cali its entire life

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
You aren’t lying… the jk was so bad that I dreaded going lower than a 1/4 off road. Downhill it would starve the fuel pump insanely easy with the nose down.
Titan fuel tank helped…. Still only got around 180-200 miles to a tank (running bone dry)

Jeep Gladiator 4 extra gallons......where is it? Look MOM I can read with my eyes closed!! E0D89F83-4FE2-4ADE-80D9-E91905029A33
i am curious if you have regears or recalibrated the ECU? ( if you are running larger tires.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
this is how they get us to pay for the Sirius U-connect service. shi++y gas mileage!! LOL

We all know it's all about the Smiles per gallon!

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Can you NOT post that you're paying $2.93/gallon for all of us California guys please?

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
Can you NOT post that you're paying $2.93/gallon for all of us California guys please?
It's all your perspective. I just traded my Ecodiesel Ram in for a Gladiator 3.6L. I smile everytime I pass a gas station and see that I'll never have to pay that extra $1 - $1.5 per gallon more for diesel! It's kind of like how good you feel when you stop hitting your head against the wall.
Sponsored