40" tires... Talk me out of it

Lift/tire size

• Total voters

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Light trails, daily driver. I want see much mud, just maybe fire roads or stuff like that. Really not planning any rock crawling. I more concerned with on road comfort and performance that does pretty good off road as well. I love BFGs, but I knew they measured smaller, that's why I was looking at another brand when going up to 37's. The Goodyears are great tires but I can tell you a M/T will not be on my daily driver. I am glad I got them for $550 to try out because I would of been upset if I spent $2000 on them.
Makes sense. You’ll probably be upset with the look of the BFG but honestly it’s not that bad. The driving manners of it are EXCELLENT.

I just re measured using double yard stick method and really took my time — they came out to 35.9. The stock 33’s on the two door came out to 32.4. I would imagine if they were aired up to 40-45 they’d come out quite a bit taller but no ones going to run that PSI. My tire gauge showed 28 psi cold on the gladiator. So yeah maybe another quarter or third of an inch if 40-45? Also these are measured installed on the vehicle so weight impacts the measurement. I’ll jack up the gladiator pull a wheel off and re measure
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
That's the issue on the trail, there's going to be a lot of places (at least where I go), where you will be spinning in dusty dirt trying to get up a granite rock and then it catches and off you go. *BANG*... uh oh. You gotta really really build up the D44 or go a nicely built D60 if you are going to wheel 40s imo. Even 37s would be cause for extra caution.

For me, my #1 thing is to make it out of the trail under my own power. I will rely on skid plates with 35s before maybe snapping something with 40s and all the cost it takes to get there. 37 is still a perhaps to me.
You said it perfectly, I agree 100% with everything! 35`s with full skids and winch.
I'd rather drag the rig over obstacles then snap an axle or worse.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said it perfectly, I agree 100% with everything! 35`s with full skids and winch.
I'd rather drag the rig over obstacles then snap an axle or worse.
skids are key. Someone make full aluminum skids for the diesel already damnit !

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense. You’ll probably be upset with the look of the BFG but honestly it’s not that bad. The driving manners of it are EXCELLENT.

I just re measured using double yard stick method and really took my time — they came out to 35.9. The stock 33’s on the two door came out to 32.4. I would imagine if they were aired up to 40-45 they’d come out quite a bit taller but no ones going to run that PSI. My tire gauge showed 28 psi cold on the gladiator. So yeah maybe another quarter or third of an inch if 40-45? Also these are measured installed on the vehicle so weight impacts the measurement. I’ll jack up the gladiator pull a wheel off and re measure
Yeah my last 4 sets of tires were BFG KO2S, absolutely love their performance on and off road, to me second to none. I just wanted something a little taller and that's the main reason I was looking outside of BFGs, but I would never knock them. I run the Goodyears MTR's at 30psi cold and they go up to 32psi when they warm up. The way they ride I couldn't imagine running them any higher than that. Discount had them aired up to 37 and it was horrible. 35.9 seems about right that's about what I was expecting not to bad.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
40s are overkill. Be practical.
But thats less fun ab
Yeah my last 4 sets of tires were BFG KO2S, absolutely love their performance on and off road, to me second to none. I just wanted something a little taller and that's the main reason I was looking outside of BFGs, but I would never knock them. I run the Goodyears MTR's at 30psi cold and they go up to 32psi when they warm up. The way they ride I couldn't imagine running them any higher than that. Discount had them aired up to 37 and it was horrible. 35.9 seems about right that's about what I was expecting not to bad.
keep in mind that’s measured on a 5800 pound vehicle.

OP
OP
Dtrues878

Dtrues878

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineering
Bruh. Totally.

In reality...what we looking at?
-$2500-3000 in wheel and tire
-$~25,000 in axles, diffs, and gears + labor
-$30-35,000 in hemi swap...less if youre willing to take a chevy motor (barf)
-$10k(?) in lift when install and frame notching/alignment/etc is all done?

Give or take?

I mean yeah, if this is just “get the 40” look for mall crawling and ‘Gram’ing.” i guess 4.5” lift with 5.38’s and chromo axles would be ok.

But to actually WHEEL it? damn.
Yeah I'm not huge wheeler just mostly making a cool rig for me and my sons to take camping so not going to be tackling rubicon or anything

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
If you have had a TJ with the Dana 35 C-clip rear axle, and made it survive with 35's, you may be able to get away with 40's without an upgrade. Probably not.
I swapped my D35 out anyway, even though it never broke. Sticking with 37's on the Gladiator.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
37’s aren’t big anymore. I vote 4.5-6” lift and 42” MTR’s. Remember. If you still have bed space after lifting, you’re doing it wrong.

35-37” tires might get you down the trail. But they’ll never bring you glory on the ‘gram. Defeat the purpose of having a pick up truck in the first place. Go 42’s.

Your destiny awaits.
Agree...42”s

84B664A3-644A-4844-83F3-F897B78C6203.jpeg

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Agree...42”s

84B664A3-644A-4844-83F3-F897B78C6203.jpeg
This is what im talking about. Less than 42’s wont get you up high enough on the mall parking lot snow bank to have any street cred.

If you dont spend $40,000 on your lift, axles, tires, and diffs- you’re just small ballin’ weak sauce.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
37s are perfect. 40s make the dimensions look silly, mpg is even worse, harder to balance, aforementioned driveline stress, etc.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Thats why i liked my cummins Ram 2500.

“Did you regear for those 42” tires?” “Na man. I have 1200lb/ft of tq starting at about 1,000rpm. Gears are for jeeps with small weak ass engines”

Last edited:

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
40s are overkill. Be practical.
This, the obsession for having the biggest tires is mind numbing to me.

If your idea of off roading is the speed bumps at the mall, go for it.
No way I would run more than 35's on aluminum knuckles.
Sponsored