4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Wrangler 4xe tow rating is supposed to be the same as the other versions, perhaps if they cross it over to the JT it will remain ~7K. That would be an interesting Ike Gauntlet test.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I'd love to see it in an Ecodiesel configuration. I'm planning on keeping my old trusty YJ for commuting my super short 2.3 mile drive to work since the Eco probably wouldn't even warm up unless I actually went somewhere.

We have solar at home and have been seeing a little excess as we upgrade our home for better energy efficiency. This could allow me to drive one vehicle on electric to/from work and then diesel when we roadtrip.

360hp/520tq, 65+ MPGe, and 550ish miles range anyone? Of course what will that do to our already neutered payload?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I'm not an electrical engineer an I don't play one on TV.....
But I'd wonder how many solar panels you would need to overland an EV Gladiator?
too many to make charging the system in a timely manner feasible

source: check my user name I own a very large solar business

Silverslayer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Glazier
No, its a plug in hybrid. Only gives u up to 50 miles more, then gotta plug in to recoup those 50 miles. Useless off road except for the lil extra torque u get before full spool of turbo.
Screenshot_20201215-112500_Chrome.jpg
Believe it's like 25 miles pure electric range. Mpge is a rating of efficiency, they use a unit of electricity equal to a gallon of gas to give an equivalent to mpg while on electricity

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Believe it's like 25 miles pure electric range. Mpge is a rating of efficiency, they use a unit of electricity equal to a gallon of gas to give an equivalent to mpg while on electricity
Yea, I wouldn't trust what they advertise. Factory test vs real world is always different. Still, given what I kno now, if tow rating is acceptable (@ or close to v6 or diesel) I will likely exchange my lease to buy one. Looks like they only advertised it as a Rubicon tho. Hope that's not the case. Wait N see.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
Buried in the FAQ for the Wrangler 4xe on jeep.com, FCA says this:

"What JeepĀ® Brand models will be 4xe?
By 2025 the JeepĀ® Brand plans to offer 4xe plug-in hybrid technology on all models, ushering in a new era of efficiency and capability."

So, yes. It's coming to the Gladiator. :)

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Buried in the FAQ for the Wrangler 4xe on jeep.com, FCA says this:

"What JeepĀ® Brand models will be 4xe?
By 2025 the JeepĀ® Brand plans to offer 4xe plug-in hybrid technology on all models, ushering in a new era of efficiency and capability."

So, yes. It's coming to the Gladiator. :)
This is awesome! Iā€™m hoping it will come to the JT before other models due to the similarities with the JL. I think Iā€™ll wait until the Wrangler 4XE is available for a test drive; that might convince me to wait for the JT 4XE rather than the 3.0 Ecodiesel given my soon to be close proximity to work; my commute would be 100% electric and Iā€™d have the benefit of a hybrid for overloading (thanks to @TheGinger for that new term :LOL: ).

It will also help my wallet recover from building my new house. :like:

GreyGladiator

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC70; XC90; F150; HD Dyna Glide; 2021 Mojave (ordered)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Hopefully it comes out in the next 2 yrs. And hopefully battery stays under seat (so I can reuse rear seat compressor mount). And hopefully it can retain 7k+ towing. If it does, im turning in my lease. Otherwise ill probably buy my current glad.
That is the same approach I am taking. I just started a 4 year lease of a Mojave, and I am hoping the hybrid Gladiator will have been out long enough by the end of the lease to make an informed choice on switching power plants.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
That is the same approach I am taking. I just started a 4 year lease of a Mojave, and I am hoping the hybrid Gladiator will have been out long enough by the end of the lease to make an informed choice on switching power plants.
In a way, just see how the wrangler version does. If it's a success, great! If there are any issues in yr 1 (or later), u know it will be fixed and adapted for the gladiator. Minus gladiator specific concerns. But it should be refined by then. I'll be happy that I can transfer some of the parts I've added already vs going to diesel.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
The only real problem is that they released the starting price for the Wrangler 4xe and it's about $10k more than the v6 starting price (Sahara just under $50k and Rubicon just over $53k). Mind you it comes with an auto transmission, 8" nav, and few other "goodies".

According to the Motortrend article: Plug-In Hybrid Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon Costs Over Fifty Thousand Dollars (motortrend.com)

"Other standard niceties include 20-inch wheels, leather seats, led lighting, an 8.4-inch infotainment display, a nine-speaker Alpine audio system, Selec-Trac full-time 4WD system, and Dana 44 HD wide axles on the Sahara model. The Rubicon gets all the aforementioned goodies, but the Selec-Trac 4WD system is swapped for a more heavy-duty, 4:1 Rock-Trac full-time 4WD system. You also get blue stickers and blue tow hooks on the outside just so everyone knows you're driving something electrified.

According to Jeep, Wrangler 4xe models will hit dealerships by March of 2021.
"

MT also mentions the $7,500 hybrid tax deduction being available on the 4xe, possibly negating some of the price issue?

C&D if anyone likes them more:
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Plug-In Hybrid Starts at $49,490 (caranddriver.com)

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The only real problem is that they released the starting price for the Wrangler 4xe and it's about $10k more than the v6 starting price (Sahara just under $50k and Rubicon just over $53k). Mind you it comes with an auto transmission, 8" nav, and few other "goodies".

According to the Motortrend article: Plug-In Hybrid Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon Costs Over Fifty Thousand Dollars (motortrend.com)

"Other standard niceties include 20-inch wheels, leather seats, led lighting, an 8.4-inch infotainment display, a nine-speaker Alpine audio system, Selec-Trac full-time 4WD system, and Dana 44 HD wide axles on the Sahara model. The Rubicon gets all the aforementioned goodies, but the Selec-Trac 4WD system is swapped for a more heavy-duty, 4:1 Rock-Trac full-time 4WD system. You also get blue stickers and blue tow hooks on the outside just so everyone knows you're driving something electrified.

According to Jeep, Wrangler 4xe models will hit dealerships by March of 2021.
"

MT also mentions the $7,500 hybrid tax deduction being available on the 4xe, possibly negating some of the price issue?

C&D if anyone likes them more:
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Plug-In Hybrid Starts at $49,490 (caranddriver.com)
Right, so does that mean a Sport S 4xe will start at $53k Rubicon at $58k. I guess electric is usually more expensive though. I might get it in 10 years.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
From what I read recently, 4Xe will be available at first only in Sahara and Rubicon levels; both will come very well equipped. Iā€™m guessing leather, LEDs, 8.4ā€ & Alpine Sound, Safety Group will be standard.

Sahara 4Xe will start at $47,000; Rubicon 4Xe will start at $51,000.

Someone figured out these prices represent a $9,000 jump. However, those prices include $5,000 in options, making the 4Xe powertrain alone a net increment of $4,000.

If true, I think 4Xe will sell very well. Provided of course, FCA doesnā€™t screw up the launch with the type of silly quality gaffes it has us used to.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
From what I read recently, 4Xe will be available at first only in Sahara and Rubicon levels; both will come very well equipped. Iā€™m guessing leather, LEDs, 8.4ā€ & Alpine Sound, Safety Group will be standard.

Sahara 4Xe will start at $47,000; Rubicon 4Xe will start at $51,000.

Someone figured out these prices represent a $9,000 jump. However, those prices include $5,000 in options, making the 4Xe powertrain alone a net increment of $4,000.

If true, I think 4Xe will sell very well. Provided of course, FCA doesnā€™t screw up the launch with the type of silly quality gaffes it has us used to.
Yes, it's about a $4K difference on the Rubicon and $2.5K difference on the Sahara for comparable level of equipment/options.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'd be in for the 3.6 or Ecodiesel, but the 4 banger will just be rode hard in the mountains around here while towing.
The gas engine is augmented by electric motor(s?) thatā€™s what gives it more hp/tq vs just the 2.0 alone. Have not heard Anything about ā€˜how wellā€™ this system can tow, only that tow rating for the hybrid Wrangler is the same as regular Wranglers.
Sponsored