Sponsored

6.4L V8 Hemi (392) possibly "real world" testing for future Gladiator model

45Rake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, McLaren 600LT, GT350R
I would definitely buy it. I currently have a 2019 Ram Power Wagon w 6.4 and it's a BEAST. I would gladly trade in my current Gladiator. Actually I would buy any Gladiator with a V8
Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
have you ever hit the loud pedal on a 6.4L hemi? The sound alone changes minds. Personally I can think of 392 advantages. It will be a huge hit
I have nothing against v8, it just not the future. Sound is not a performance feature though so I still dont see an actual advantage to the v8 other than the "hemi badge." This is not to talk any sort of trash about v8 or hemi, they are great. No replacement for displacement, unless its electric. Thats why the new Hummer comes with 1000 HP and 11000 lb torque.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 392 a niche, single year product. Euro5 standards are out, and globalization of the product line will make building the v8 just for the USA a very expensive project. They have to meet MPG standards and emissions laws. Expect more development and investment in electrified powertrains over larger displacement ICE. California has already given a deadline for when new car sale must be electrified...even if its 10-15 years from now thats time companies will use to develop electrificaton

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have nothing against v8, it just not the future. Sound is not a performance feature though so I still dont see an actual advantage to the v8 other than the "hemi badge." This is not to talk any sort of trash about v8 or hemi, they are great. No replacement for displacement, unless its electric. Thats why the new Hummer comes with 1000 HP and 11000 lb torque.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 392 a niche, single year product. Euro5 standards are out, and globalization of the product line will make building the v8 just for the USA a very expensive project. They have to meet MPG standards and emissions laws. Expect more development and investment in electrified powertrains over larger displacement ICE. California has already given a deadline for when new car sale must be electrified...even if its 10-15 years from now thats time companies will use to develop electrificaton
The new Hummer doesn’t come with anything until it actually exists. The thing is still a computer simulation at this point.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've been told by guys I know at the a particular dealership that the talks have been happening since August in their meetings about a V8 Gladiator and Wrangler. Price point being around $90,000 for a 6.4 liter V8 in a JT and around , $80,000 for the Wrangler. I wish they would offer two options on the V8 but according to them it will be one option and they will pretty much come all come with the same options other than color. Take what I'm saying with a grain salt as well but they were right about the JT about 3yrs prior to it actually coming out.

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
I would lose a bet with wife if they ended up putting a v8 in the gladiator.

The bet was I was done switching vehicles and wasn't going to buy anymore. She gets a 2 door bronco if I lose.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I would lose a bet with wife if they ended up putting a v8 in the gladiator.

The bet was I was done switching vehicles and wasn't going to buy anymore. She gets a 2 door bronco if I lose.
Depending on what she drives now, that could be a win-win...

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Depending on what she drives now, that could be a win-win...
It would be, which is why I easily agreed to the bet. She's in a 2nd gen Acura RSX. I've tried helping her upgrade in the past, even to another sporty hatch like the civic SI or R, but she loves her "1st"

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The hummer stats are designed to be eyepopping to a consumer but really its not a shocker to anyone familiar with the potential of electric locomotion. Just look at trains.

i wonder if anyone touting electrification as the future has really examined the social and infrastructural costs. For example what if 50% of california’s 40 million people all plugged their cars in to charge at night after depleting them from the stop and go commute, while millions more fleet vehicles those californians would depend on for sustinance and supplies also charged and placed power grid demands. What do we think would happen to the cost per kw/hr? What does that do to cost of goods? Cost of electricity? Consumer choice and freedoms?

Some states like California cant even support their own power demands today. So imagine you had to go to hospital or to a job interview on a rolling blackout day. Are you really comfortable with the control state, municipal, and corporate utilities would have on basic needs? What about all the millions of people driving old cars due to choice or maybe affordability. Do you disenfranchise them from transportation?

Electrification is a good thing. But, In the technology rush I’m wondering what the social and economic impacts of electrification are. Thats why it makes me laugh when these fads with big power come out to target big wallet first movers. Honestly speaking what would be more impressive is demonstrating how a 200hp electric platform could go 1000 miles or more without a charge and also have a way to generate power on its own reliably from existing fuel. sources. Or, show how that same 1000hp source could reduce fleet maintenance costs, last the million or so miles a detroit diesel will last, and carry the same 1000 mile range.

The hummer hardly ushers in the electrification revolution. I’ll take my 6.4L gladiator in silver.

MoparMadness

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Electric is going to eventually be nice too. We should have the best of both to choose from, not one or the other. I will take the V8 but not at around $100k if that ends up being the case. I have a feeling it will be a special edition only, rather than an engine option on all models.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Electric is going to eventually be nice too. We should have the best of both to choose from, not one or the other. I will take the V8 but not at around $100k if that ends up being the case. I have a feeling it will be a special edition too, rather than an engine option on all models.
this makes total sense. Good point of view. Need to ease into it

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Electrification likely wont have as much of a drop in the grid as people expect. Most charging take place during off-peak hours and solar is expanding. Expect new construction to have to have to produce its own electricity in the very near future (california already did this) There are also several forms of electrification...You could have the ICE simply be a generator to run the electric motors, never needs to use the grid at all.... this set up is still more gas efficient and gives you the benefits of a powerful electric motor. Kinda like a train.
I can't predict exactly what form of electrification will be dominant..Possibly multiple technologies will come in to play...But anyone who believes that the internal combustion engine is the future is naĂŻve. It's already been out lawed for sale in several countries beyond a certain date including California... that's it. Done. No one is going to build it if you can't sell it.

The Hummer might not be real yet... but everyone knows that electric motors easily outperform ice.... range anxiety simply does not come in to play with a hybrid set up.

$90,000 to $100000 for a jeep...Though I don't doubt it, That is overpriced for a jeep

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Electrification likely wont have as much of a drop in the grid as people expect. Most charging take place during off-peak hours and solar is expanding. Expect new construction to have to have to produce its own electricity in the very near future (california already did this) There are also several forms of electrification...You could have the ICE simply be a generator to run the electric motors, never needs to use the grid at all.... this set up is still more gas efficient and gives you the benefits of a powerful electric motor. Kinda like a train.
I can't predict exactly what form of electrification will be dominant..Possibly multiple technologies will come in to play...But anyone who believes that the internal combustion engine is the future is naĂŻve. It's already been out lawed for sale in several countries beyond a certain date including California... that's it. Done. No one is going to build it if you can't sell it.

The Hummer might not be real yet... but everyone knows that electric motors easily outperform ice.... range anxiety simply does not come in to play with a hybrid set up.

$90,000 to $100000 for a jeep...Though I don't doubt it, That is overpriced for a jeep
Well if you look and a Hellcat charger or challenger price which is around $80,000 and a regular Hemi one is around $35,000 -$40,000 then the $90,000 price tag isn't over priced, it's right in line with what they are charging. It's still would be cheaper than the $120,000 price tag shops are charging for doing it aftermarket. This one listed for $129,000

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/jeep-gladiator-392-hemi-swap-for-sale/

Jeep Gladiator 6.4L V8 Hemi (392) possibly "real world" testing for future Gladiator model Jeep-Gladiator-Hemi-Swap-Magnuson-Performance

Sduncan

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Since I already own a V8 powered TJ, I’d definitely want the V8 JT. The only issue is going to be price and when it’s available. It would probably be way cheaper to do the V8 conversion in my current JT.. it’ll be paid off by the time they offer a 6.4 version.. if they actually do..

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
Not arguing with you one bit...

But I recall the same thing being said when the JK came out, when the JL came out, and when the JT came out

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We saw the big banner for the 4xe at the Adventure Academy and my wife said she wished it was all electric. Her next vehicle will be electric, for sure. Loves her Honda SUV but they aren't keeping up even as well as GM is (not keeping up).

Sponsored