Sponsored

6.4L V8 Hemi (392) possibly "real world" testing for future Gladiator model

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
File this under the rumour mill but I was told by someone "in the know", that claims Jeep has 60 Jeep Wranglers with the 6.4L Hemi (392) on the road for "real world" testing for a potential 2022. The person I spoke with is an avid jeep collector and obvious die hard fan who has insights into future production even though he doesn't directly work for Jeep. Obviously take this with a grain of salt. So let's just say this is true and the 6.4L engine ends up in the gladiator in 2023, who would buy it? I live in a large city, I'm more interested in the new hybrid for the Gladiator which will be available in the 4xe this December which I'm sure will be available as an option eventually.

Anyways, curious to hear what others think about new engines.
Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
I would buy the 6.4L.

I would not buy the 4xe which has no range. 25 miles in town is going to be much, much, much less on the trail. But then with that limited range you probably won't get far enough away from the city that you can't find electricity to charge up (takes 24 hours). Heck where I'm at you won't even get to the trail.

OP
OP
Horde

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I would buy the 6.4L.

I would not buy the 4xe which has no range. 25 miles in town is going to be much, much, much less on the trail. But then with that limited range you probably won't get far enough away from the city that you can't find electricity to charge up (takes 24 hours). Heck where I'm at you won't even get to the trail.
I think a lot of people will agree with you about the 4xe. I myself am looking forward to it because of where I live. I also wouldn't buy it right away because Jeep had a very hard time selling the 2.0L eTorques and they had massive discounts on those vehicles and I think they will have that issue with the 4xe. I think the 4xe only exists because of government mandates for electrification of vehicles. Also keep in mind that the 4xe is a hybrid, it will have a 2.0L engine in it when the battery is drained.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
OP please ask your 'in the know' guy what the status is on the straight 6 turbo engine that is supposed to be coming? Haven't heard squat about it in months-

A V8 JT would be a blast, but I doubt they could put a gas tank in it big enough to suit my needs :blush:

Sponsored

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The 6.4L is a sledgehammer and would make for a lot of fun until the axles broke. They put the right beef underneath and lookout. I just hope it doesn’t kill the resale on my 3.6L.

for the money, might eye the TRX instead. Just sayin.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I've read about those test Jeeps here previously. It has been confirmed by people who do work for Jeep.

Last edited:

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
no one is buying the 4xe for the 25 mile range. What you will get that the hemi wont provide is instant torque which is electronically controlled. The 4xe will crawl better than any jeep before it....and itll get way better gas milage. You dont need to plug it in to get the benefits of the hybrid setup. If you really want to drive it on battery only then yes, you will have to plug in and charge the battery. If your battery runs out of charge it will likely run like a traditional hybrid and use the ICE to generate electricity for the electric motor. With hybrid technology in its current state, I dont really see any advantage to a v8.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Yup, it’s coming, and I’ll buy it when it does, either the JT or JL as I have both, one will be updated.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
no one is buying the 4xe for the 25 mile range. What you will get that the hemi wont provide is instant torque which is electronically controlled. The 4xe will crawl better than any jeep before it....and itll get way better gas milage. You dont need to plug it in to get the benefits of the hybrid setup. If you really want to drive it on battery only then yes, you will have to plug in and charge the battery. If your battery runs out of charge it will likely run like a traditional hybrid and use the ICE to generate electricity for the electric motor. With hybrid technology in its current state, I dont really see any advantage to a v8.
have you ever hit the loud pedal on a 6.4L hemi? The sound alone changes minds. Personally I can think of 392 advantages. It will be a huge hit

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have two trucks now, a Ram 3500 Cummins and a Mojave Gladiator. I enjoy both trucks, but both would be traded off immediately for a significantly better vehicle. The Mojave would be traded for a 392 Hemi version of the same thing. And I would even trade the Ram for another Ram. I don't tow big or haul heavy anymore, so the Ram 3500 could be replaced by a Ram 1500 TRX (702 HP baby).

I see a trend here. Two trades, and both are for big V8s.

I have no interest at all in a hybrid or electric vehicle.

SCRubicon23

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU 2019 JLUR 2020 Gladiator
Yup, it’s coming, and I’ll buy it when it does, either the JT or JL as I have both, one will be updated.
I’m in the same boat. Thinking about going to a diesel but I think I’m more interested in the 6.4.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I would buy the 6.4L.

You do realize that the 4XE is not a electric truck right. It's a hybrid that can travel 25 miles on only electric propulsion. After its depleted its just a normal hybrid with a gas motor. So your " not making it to a trail "and needing 24 hours to charge holds no merit.

MoparMadness

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would sell my Gladiator and buy the 392 version, if the price is reasonable. I love the sound of a V8 and extra power is always appreciated.

EJS

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Maserati Gran Tourismo, 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
I would most definitely purchase it! The only question is if it would be the Gladiator or TRX. Hmmmm?
Sponsored