6 Speed Manual Regrets?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Nice truck! This is a little off-topic, so if its a thread hijack don't bother replying - but what did you do with your lockers when you re-geared? I know some folks are going Eaton E-locker, because you can wire those to the existing switch-gear in the Rubicon. Other folk go with ARB air lockers. I had ARB in my JKU and loved them (never had an O-ring go bad). Do you like what you went with? Thanks!
Thanks, I have a manual JTR, so, it already has front and back lockers. I made the trek to Rebel off road, they have a great rep. on gear changes, they swapped in Dana Spicer 5:13s, and I just kept the stock Lockers and changed the front driveshaft. Everything works perfect. I had it off road about 6 times using both front and back lockers and it works perfect. No issues.
Note: I went with a light 37 inch setup - Goodyear MTR 37x12.5x17 and method 703 rims "bead grip" rims.
Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks, I have a manual JTR, so, it already has front and back lockers. I made the trek to Rebel off road, they have a great rep. on gear changes, they swapped in Dana Spicer 5:13s, and I just kept the stock Lockers and changed the front driveshaft. Everything works perfect. I had it off road about 6 times using both front and back lockers and it works perfect. No issues.
Note: I went with a light 37 inch setup - Goodyear MTR 37x12.5x17 and method 703 rims "bead grip" rims.
Thanks for the reply! Why did I think you had to get new lockers with different gears? Too much work on a Sunday - work stuff pushing Jeep stuff out of the brain. It sounds like you are happy with the 5.13s - ever wish you went 4.88? The weight range on 37s is huge. Unless you really want the Nittos or one of the other really heavy MTs, it makes sense to go "light".

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
No, it is the same as the first recall,
When the first recall was in effect, Jeep stopped filling orders for manuals. After Jeep began taking manual orders again, @JeepCares told us last Spring that the recall did not apply to vehicles assembled after that time.

Does anyone know if the second recall affect Jeeps build since the Covid shutdown?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Interesting. Just had a Jeep wave service and it wasn't mentioned but looks like it doesn't roll out until March.
It sounds identical to the first recall.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I unfortunately fall into the category of ordering a MT Rubicon and within yr 1 swapping it out for an auto. I got the manual initially because the $2K price tag for auto just felt pointless and who doesn't love rowing through the gears. The issue became a problem during extended road trips (2x - over 3K miles each) where the gf wasn't able to give me a break driving. I attempted to teach her numerous times but cringed each time she killed it and couldn't learn. The concept just became too difficult for her to learn and I paid the price by having to swap it out. Luckily I was able to sell the vehicle for $2K over my purchase price with about 14K miles on the clock even. Overall I wish I still had my manual but my body enjoys the ability to have someone else drive when on extended drives.
On my third date with my wife (she wasn't my wife yet...) she asked if she could borrow my car. Back then I was driving a 92 VW GTI 5MT (not the 16v - I wish!). Anyway, like a typically dude I said "its a stick you know..." and she patiently explained that she could in fact drive a stick. And was even willing to go on another date if I could stop my knuckles from dragging. I clearly remember thinking "i could marry this one..." and although it took me 5 years to convince her we did get married. Celebrating 20 years this summer.

And to the OP - no regrets. I think they did a great job- accurate throws and good pedal feel and engagement. Like all manual transmissions (or really, all cars if you are paying attention) you just have to learn the correct shift points, power bands and performance strengths and weaknesses. My kids will learn on my MT and their first vehicles will be MTs.

NOTE: one small regret - for the last 10 years I have been driving a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II which has a 4sp auto. I got lazy and in going back to a Manual I had to re-learn that the car is not the place to futz with your phone, eat, or drink anything complicated. You need 2 hands and 2 feet so no sprained ankles either...

Last edited:

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If the towing wasn't less, or lack of cold weather package, we might have looked at a manual.
I have a 6MT with the cold weather package... is cold weather package not available in your area? Seems odd... NOTE - I ordered mine so I got to pick exactly what I wanted.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Like all manual transmissions (or really, all cars if you are paying attention) you just have to learn the correct shift points, power bands and performance strengths and weaknesses.
This is exactly my thoughts when I hear folks complaining the ratios aren't right, the engine has the wrong power/torque band, etc. There are any number of ways it could have been configured, if it was economically feasible for Jeep to make a lot of different MT options. I am just happy they still offer a manual.

If I really want to drive a manual, I will adapt my driving style to fit what the vehicle offers.

Lasdar

First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Patriot
Occupation
Former Historic Archaeoligist, now Project Controls
I have always driven a manual, and always trucks. Learned to drive on a F-150, on hills, on things that weren't actually roads, in snow, no 4wd. Taught by my older brother because I couldn't stand my father's in ability to teach, and his freaking out about everything. To this day I make him ride in the backseat, I don't like to see him freaking out about things that aren't going to happen. Oh and for the genius who said women can't learn 🤪, can too, any thing they actually want to learn. Every woman older than me in my family knows how. Some day I am going to coerce my nieces to learn it too. But only 1 is old enough to drive, and she's scared of driving at all yet, best to wait. If that stinking F-150 was still road worthy I'd teach her in it, things a tank.

The Gladiator is way better than my Canyon was (glad that is gone). It had a bad habit of racing the engine every time you put the clutch in, had to work super hard not to have it do that.
My Patriot has a floating clutch point, it is annoying and dangerous, but after 3 different dealerships telling me that its "within tolerance" I have a low opinion of any dealership knowing jack about manual transmissions.
Very happy the Gladiator doesn't have that problem. My only complaint is the stupid ESS turns the truck off when I hit the gas, in 1st gear with the ESS OFF. Doesn't turn off with my foot off the clutch in neutral, waits until I put it back in gear and give it gas, how stupid is that?

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have always driven a manual, and always trucks. Learned to drive on a F-150, on hills, on things that weren't actually roads, in snow, no 4wd. Taught by my older brother because I couldn't stand my father's in ability to teach, and his freaking out about everything. To this day I make him ride in the backseat, I don't like to see him freaking out about things that aren't going to happen. Oh and for the genius who said women can't learn 🤪, can too, any thing they actually want to learn. Every woman older than me in my family knows how. Some day I am going to coerce my nieces to learn it too. But only 1 is old enough to drive, and she's scared of driving at all yet, best to wait. If that stinking F-150 was still road worthy I'd teach her in it, things a tank.

The Gladiator is way better than my Canyon was (glad that is gone). It had a bad habit of racing the engine every time you put the clutch in, had to work super hard not to have it do that.
My Patriot has a floating clutch point, it is annoying and dangerous, but after 3 different dealerships telling me that its "within tolerance" I have a low opinion of any dealership knowing jack about manual transmissions.
Very happy the Gladiator doesn't have that problem. My only complaint is the stupid ESS turns the truck off when I hit the gas, in 1st gear with the ESS OFF. Doesn't turn off with my foot off the clutch in neutral, waits until I put it back in gear and give it gas, how stupid is that?
My wife drives M/T as well or better than me. She had manual vehicles in the 1990s until 2003 as daily driver. I’m teaching my 15 year old daughter to drive my Gladiator in a parking lot. She picked it up right away and rarely stalls. She doesn’t even really drive yet but just figured it out. I learned stick on a crappy 1981 Chevy Luv with no power steering. The control, need for focus (vs texting, web surfing, Facebook/Insta updates) and sense of accomplishment are worth it for new drivers and old drivers who want to reconnect with the art and science of driving.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My only complaint is the stupid ESS turns the truck off when I hit the gas, in 1st gear with the ESS OFF. Doesn't turn off with my foot off the clutch in neutral, waits until I put it back in gear and give it gas, how stupid is that?
Something wrong; it is not supposed to do that.

AJG

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Nice thread, glad to hear about people’s experience with the break, I’m around 2k so cross my fingers the clutch response improves.
My last few cars were passenger cars, 4cl 5/6MT (VW TDIs) for about 15 years before ‘DieselGate’ cost me my 14 Passat MT and put me into a Colorado diesel. I loved driving my VWs, and then had no complaints about the Colorado. The 4cl duramax was a great engine, but overall the truck was just a little boring, and I missed the MT. I didn’t realize until I started driving the Jeep just how much I missed it, it brought the joy back to driving. The MT makes such a difference IMO. If you love driving, the MT is the way to go. And yes, if they would pair the diesel with the MT, now that would make me very happy

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Something wrong; it is not supposed to do that.
When my engine turns off at a stoplight (gear shifter in neutral and completely stopped) the engine starter kicks on as soon as I push in the clutch pedal. I don't have to touch the gas pedal at all to get the engine started. Just the clutch.
Sponsored