Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control: yay or nay?

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
Yep, hardly ever used regular cruise, but love the ACC. Wouldn't be without it.
Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
We should all have ACC. How can we be expected to think about what we are doing and keep our head out of our dark spot. Driver fatigue,,,LOL. Poor baby. I pull my 31 ft TT with my Ram diesel from McCall id to Bishop (660 miles)in a day in the summer. I suck it up and be a man. It's a Jeep, not a Prius.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have it in my Tacoma, but don't like it. Someone pulled directly in front of me going about 70 and the truck slammed on the brakes. Never again.
We should all have ACC. How can we be expected to think about what we are doing and keep our head out of our dark spot. Driver fatigue,,,LOL. Poor baby. I pull my 31 ft TT with my Ram diesel from McCall id to Bishop (660 miles)in a day in the summer. I suck it up and be a man. It's a Jeep, not a Prius.
Oh what a great world it would be if we were all as tough and manly as you! Alas, some of us just grovel around in the ditch with our creature comforts :(

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
No need to make it personal. But since you brought it up, you sound like the typical mindless driver.
Just because a few people donā€™t know how to use a tool, doesnā€™t make it a bad tool. People cut fingers off with table saws every year, yet I donā€™t hate table saws. I, as someone who knows how to use one, find them very helpful instead of a hand saw. In short, people can be good drivers with additional tools at their disposal.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Used in the right way in the right situations, itā€™s fantastic. On the interstate when traffic is moving, it works great. Just set it a couple mph higher that it seems traffic is moving and itā€™ll adjust to the car in front of you. You then go with the flow with less effort.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I donā€™t care for it, to the extent I ordered a new JT without it-

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
I have had some form of adaptive cruise on my last 3 vehicles. This is my 4th vehicle with ACC and my first Jeep. I love this version. My last 3 vehicles were Toyota's and their version of ACC drops out at lower than 27 miles per hour or near that. This version on the Gladiator works all the way down to 4 mile per hour or so.
In So Cal on Highway 405 (a 6 lane moving parking lot), it is great. Without a SIGALERT on an average day, you roll at about 10 to 20 miles per hour (for 15 to 40 miles). This Gladiator stays in ACC mode all the way. Imagine about 1 to 2 hours of that?

I won't go back. The wife is even thinking about trading in her Overland (doesn't have ACC) for a new one with it.

slim chance

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi JTA, 23 Ram Laramie 1500, 21 Nacho JTF
Occupation
retired
i do not have it on my 21 JT ... had it on my 2019 Tundra Limited ... did NOT like it ... when set slightly above expressway speed everything worked fine until somebody passed me and cut in close in front of me, then it would slow down quickly and then the next guy behind me would pass me and cut in between me and the previous car, again my trk would slow down and so on and so on until other traffic was gone and i was at the back of the pack .... had the shits of that ... as i said, i did NOT want the ACC on my jeep so did not get it

Unkle Luk

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD; 2013 JKR
Occupation
Construction Engineer
I am personally torn on it. On long stretches of highway, its great, works as it should. I have found mine on rolling hills is all over the place on speed, so I end up just using the normal cruise.

Its definitely not perfect, and if I was ordering again I would probably leave it off.

Sponsored

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
I love my adaptive cruise control, but it does require monitoring. When I see somebody coming into my lane not going fast enough, or too close, I have to take over from the system to prevent it slamming on the brakes. I either turn it off, or put my foot on the accelerator to override it.

On a side note, I was just in Cali on vacation and got a Ford Explorer with ACC and Lane Departure and it was fantastic. I wish my JT had it. The lane departure made the 3 hour drive down I-5 a lot less painful as it would hold the lane steady for me and the ACC would keep distance to the car in front. Took just enough "work" out of the drive to make it quite pleasant. Except for the smells of the Central Valley of course.

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
i do not have it on my 21 JT ... had it on my 2019 Tundra Limited ... did NOT like it ... when set slightly above expressway speed everything worked fine until somebody passed me and cut in close in front of me, then it would slow down quickly and then the next guy behind me would pass me and cut in between me and the previous car, again my trk would slow down and so on and so on until other traffic was gone and i was at the back of the pack .... had the shits of that ... as i said, i did NOT want the ACC on my jeep so did not get it
I had a 2018 Tundra TRD Sport with it. Same thing happened to me with it. Or on some bends in the road while driving in the passing lane traffic in the slow lane would trigger the braking mechanism and cause the (nearly) loading of the underwear in the driver's seat. I learned to anticipate that. And there is a large thread on the Tundra site about it. I have even experienced it in the Gladiator so that is part of the bugs that will eventually be worked out with (artificial intelligence AI) and technology. But, overall, a reduction in road fatigue. I just like it that the ACC works down to walking speed on the Gladiator.

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
I love my adaptive cruise control, but it does require monitoring. When I see somebody coming into my lane not going fast enough, or too close, I have to take over from the system to prevent it slamming on the brakes. I either turn it off, or put my foot on the accelerator to override it.

On a side note, I was just in Cali on vacation and got a Ford Explorer with ACC and Lane Departure and it was fantastic. I wish my JT had it. The lane departure made the 3 hour drive down I-5 a lot less painful as it would hold the lane steady for me and the ACC would keep distance to the car in front. Took just enough "work" out of the drive to make it quite pleasant. Except for the smells of the Central Valley of course.
Especially just north of Harris Ranch.... That lot smells... Kinda hard to get your appetite up to stop for steaks if you are coming south.... The 99 is just as bad....

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
My wife's car has ACC, my Gladiator doesn't. She hates it, and I like it lol.

I'm not sure I'd pay extra for it, but I do enjoy it on long trips. Especially when you get behind an elephant race between 2 18-wheelers. I think anything past the closest distance it lets you select is too far between cars. It just kind of opens up a spot for slower moving traffic to slide in between you and the car you're behind.

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
Especially just north of Harris Ranch.... That lot smells... Kinda hard to get your appetite up to stop for steaks if you are coming south.... The 99 is just as bad....
Thankfully, I didn't pick up I-5 until somewhere around Lost Hills, I was coming down from Monterey and spent a lot of time on the 101 down to around Paso Robles. Just a lot of Vineyards and Orchards through there from what I remember.
Sponsored