First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
After installing Rubicon takeoffs on my Overland, people started to flash me when I was towing my boat.
So I adjusted my headlights down. Here is how to do it.. Its easy and only takes 5 minutes !

Tools: Screwdriver, Wall

Under your hood , on each side behind the headlights are the adjusters.

Drivers side :

Jeep Gladiator Adjusting Headlights - How To head1

Passenger side :

Jeep Gladiator Adjusting Headlights - How To head2

Pull up to a wall about 15 feet away and turn your lights on.

Put a screwdriver in to each adjuster and turn them clockwise to make your lights go down, counterclockwise to make them go up. I turned mine clockwise to make them go down about 2-3 inches.

I used the brick wall as a guide to see how much to lower them and make them level.
You may have to re-adjust them after driving at night if people still flash you.

Here is what it looked like after I finished. I came down about 2 bricks.

Jeep Gladiator Adjusting Headlights - How To head3

Its an easy adjustment to make after you lift your truck and wont blind oncoming drivers.
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Thanks for quick guidance I bought Mojave and don't think manufacturers took 33" tires And stock 1 inch lift into account as constantly getting flashing on 2 lane roads .. considering installing regular headlights if continues
If stock headlights, they were supposed to be adjusted at the factory on the vehicle. Just re-adjust them if they are aimed too high. With that said, there are times that I get flashed with my factory LEDs, but it is always when I am cresting a hill with a slight right turn to it so the main part of the beam pattern is directed at the oncoming car. No way around that on the JT, even with properly adjusted lights.

tfranks

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Thanks for this! When towing our camper we get flashed all the time. So much so I started turning the headlights down to just DRLs as a car would pass so I wouldn't blind them. I've even gotten flashed a handful of times without the trailer recently. I have a leveling kit on so it makes sense they would be angled up more than usual.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this! When towing our camper we get flashed all the time. So much so I started turning the headlights down to just DRLs as a car would pass so I wouldn't blind them. I've even gotten flashed a handful of times without the trailer recently. I have a leveling kit on so it makes sense they would be angled up more than usual.
I think sometimes people just aren't use to LEDs and the better light output and they just assume your bright lighting them, doesn't help that jeep wranglers and jeep gladiators have gotten a bad rap from people installing headlights that have crappy beam patterns. Some people just assume because your low beams are as bright as some people's high beams that your on high beam. Hit with them high beams one good time and they will quickly realize your not.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
All the other jeep headlight adjust how to videos and others also use a standard 25' feet from wall, and three foot line on wall, I've done my Mojave twice once as the bed cap sagged the rear a bit and I was getting flashed all the time, and again after putting a small spacer lift on to eliminate the sag, lights were too low, used the 25'/ 3' rule and lights are fine.....Jack

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
To adjust mine down (factory LED), I turned them counter-clockwise. I’ve watched videos showing some people turn clockwise for down and others showing counter-clockwise for down.

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
The horizontal “aiming” line should be the measurement to the center of your headlights, vertical line should be as well and then center are the proper marks to use.
All the other jeep headlight adjust how to videos and others also use a standard 25' feet from wall, and three foot line on wall, I've done my Mojave twice once as the bed cap sagged the rear a bit and I was getting flashed all the time, and again after putting a small spacer lift on to eliminate the sag, lights were too low, used the 25'/ 3' rule and lights are fine.....Jack

Yoshi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LE
Thanks. This verified that my Gladiator has a different adjustment placement then (I think) earlier models.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
If stock headlights, they were supposed to be adjusted at the factory on the vehicle. Just re-adjust them if they are aimed too high. With that said, there are times that I get flashed with my factory LEDs, but it is always when I am cresting a hill with a slight right turn to it so the main part of the beam pattern is directed at the oncoming car. No way around that on the JT, even with properly adjusted lights.
JEEPS headlight are really bright anyway.... When the jeep is in the driveway parked and I am in my lowered dodge ram... every Jeep that passes towards me at night blinds the hell out of me... probably because partially I'm lowered and my eyes are getting old and sensitive....

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
Thanks for the DIY. Went to my local Jeep dealer and they couldn’t do it. Too complicated for the tech, but was told they only have one guy who knows how to work on lifted Jeeps.

Heck, all the new (insert auto manufacturer) SUVs and trucks with LED are in the blinding range. I often would get flashed at stock height, with some drivers leaving their hi beams on until I provided a “courtesy” flash.

Thanks again Vince!

Sponsored

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
I have seen this 25'/3' thing several places, and I don't know where that comes from. If your headlight centers are at 3 ft, the beam will be very flat. If they are at 4', the beam will be aimed really far down. Every truck's height is different, so the 3' will apply to very few.

In NC, the law states that the lights should not be blinding to other drivers, but at 75' no higher than 42". If my 48" high lights were aimed per the 3'/25' "rule", they'd shine at only 12" off the ground at 75 ft. I'd be driving blind. So at 48", to attain 42" at 75 ft, I'd aim my headlights to 46" at 25 ft. (48-42=6" drop at 75 ft. 1/3 of 6" = 2" drop at 25 ft)

phranican

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 YJ4.0l, '20 Telluride SX, '21JTR
Followed the 25'/3' rule. Had to adjust them down after a 1" spacer lift and larger tires. 1 full turn counterclockwise = 1" drop

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
I put Cibie headlights in my XJ, 2 different pair in my JK. The second pair were heated JW Speaker evo J3. The oe LED upgrade is really nice, worth every penny. This 25’/3’ rule May work for some but it’s not the right way.

The horizontal “aiming” line should be the measurement from ground to the center of your headlights, vertical line should be the center of them, that should give you 2 + on the wall. Basically transfer the center of the lights onto the wall.

Much more through explanation http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I put Cibie headlights in my XJ, 2 different pair in my JK. The second pair were heated JW Speaker evo J3. The oe LED upgrade is really nice, worth every penny. This 25’/3’ rule May work for some but it’s not the right way.

The horizontal “aiming” line should be the measurement from ground to the center of your headlights, vertical line should be the center of them, that should give you 2 + on the wall. Basically transfer the center of the lights onto the wall.

Much more through explanation http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
25/3 would be on a stock JT/JK/TJ but your right you should measure to the center of the headlight to be sure, most of the time on a stock one it's 3ft. After you lift one then you definitely should measure to the center and the 25ft rule applies either way.

Also another thing I would add is make sure your on flat ground when adjusting them.

I ran Cibie's on my JK and TJ I had and honestly I had thought about doing it on the JT. If I didn't like how the stock Headlight housing looked I probably would have.
Sponsored