After much consideration... Traded my Max Tow for Eco Diesel

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I went with the eco-d over the max tow for my rv. Super happy with the choice.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I will be sad to see my Sting Gray traded in but will be anxious to see the Granite Crystal Metallic Eco Diesel when it shows up... the wait commences. :captain:
Congrats! Keep us posted . . .

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I will be sad to see my Sting Gray traded in but will be anxious to see the Granite Crystal Metallic Eco Diesel when it shows up... the wait commences. :captain:
Why did you trade in the Max tow?

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
I ordered the Ecodiesel because I felt like it would tow better, even though it is rated less in capacity. I couldn’t be happier with my decision.

Congrats!

Sponsored

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
I so would love to do that. Just the trade-in would kill me. Maybe one day.

horrocks007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Occupation
Team Leader
Hi all, not to steal the tread. I am torn between Max Tow Sport S and a Diesel Equipped Willys with tow. From my research on here, tow capacity is 6500#, but anyone know the payload?

Would be trading in on my built 2010 JkU with the famous 3.8l engine.

I am looking to haul my family of 4, approximate weight of 500#, Travel Ttailer 4200# Max Load Capacity with 425# tounge weight (don’t have a WDH yet). Probably haul 100# generator and at least 1-200# of gear. So you can see my numbers are tight.

I live in flat boring Illinois, so mountain passes aren’t that common. That’s said we will drive through everywhere east to west in this thing as we generally take a road trip in each direction annually.

We currently tow with my Wife’s Subaru Ascent. It’s nice, and does the job, but I’m not sure I’d trust driving it off road much, and it’s got a 4 cylinder engine, which worries me.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Hi all, not to steal the tread. I am torn between Max Tow Sport S and a Diesel Equipped Willys with tow. From my research on here, tow capacity is 6500#, but anyone know the payload?

I am looking to haul my family of 4, approximate weight of 500#, Travel Ttailer 4200# Max Load Capacity with 425# tounge weight (don’t have a WDH yet). Probably haul 100# generator and at least 1-200# of gear. So you can see my numbers are tight.

I live in flat boring Illinois, so mountain passes aren’t that common. That’s said we will drive through everywhere east to west in this thing as we generally take a road trip in each direction annually.

We currently tow with my Wife’s Subaru Ascent. It’s nice, and does the job, but I’m not sure I’d trust driving it off road much, and it’s got a 4 cylinder engine, which worries me.

1325lbs

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military

I'm in this exact predicament now actually and I'm leaning and being swayed more towards the max tow, the biggest issue is that payload capacity I was trying to stay within hitch weights of <500 but that's still almost half your payload on the diesel without including people and any types of upgrades you do the the diesel. That right there is the biggest factor I reckon is payload

Sponsored

horrocks007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Occupation
Team Leader
I'm in this exact predicament now actually and I'm leaning and being swayed more towards the max tow, the biggest issue is that payload capacity I was trying to stay within hitch weights of <500 but that's still almost half your payload on the diesel without including people and any types of upgrades you do the the diesel. That right there is the biggest factor I reckon is payload

I agree. If only the option had 1600# payload, the choice would be easy.

My current JKU has 1100 pound payload, one would think the Gladiator would be much higher. Still if Solarwizard is correct, 1325 would be acceptable, but not if I want to add a cab cover, bigger tires, aftermarket bumpers etc.

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager

If it helps you any, try selling your JKU instead of trading. Multiple dealership offered me 9k for my 07. It was built up with 35s and a 2.5 inch lift and lots of extras. I managed to sell it on my own for 15K. I posted on countless car selling sites but in the end it it was Craigslist that did it. I also feel that if I had given it more time, I probably could have gotten more but I was racing the clock to have it done before delivery.

That certainly too out a bit of the sting from purchasing a new vehicle.

horrocks007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Occupation
Team Leader
If it helps you any, try selling your JKU instead of trading. Multiple dealership offered me 9k for my 07. It was built up with 35s and a 2.5 inch lift and lots of extras. I managed to sell it on my own for 15K. I posted on countless car selling sites but in the end it it was Craigslist that did it. I also feel that if I had given it more time, I probably could have gotten more but I was racing the clock to have it done before delivery.

That certainly too out a bit of the sting from purchasing a new vehicle.

Thanks, yes, I was looking to do the same thing, but also sell my M16 Trailer with RTT to add to the pot.

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
Y
I agree. If only the option had 1600# payload, the choice would be easy.

My current JKU has 1100 pound payload, one would think the Gladiator would be much higher. Still if Solarwizard is correct, 1325 would be acceptable, but not if I want to add a cab cover, bigger tires, aftermarket bumpers etc.
Yeah exactly, if the diesel came with just a bit more payload it'd be perfectly fine

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Smart choice... Other than color. 182ft lbs of tq is not insignificant. Especially when its all available at 1400rpm vs 4400rpm. Add in better fuel mileage, a longer warranty, sounds better and baring some unforeseen issues, better resale. Especially when Obama fuel prices start taking affect.
Sponsored