Sponsored

ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!!

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Well, the dates for my steering gear have been given to me and than not met/moved 5 separate times now ... I just got off of the phone with my dealer and was told that the most recent "order" was cancelled by FCA ... I demanded that he give me more information ...

He read to me the text of some corporate directive that basically said the following:

"All orders for TSB xxxxxxx for Jeep Gladiator steering gears have been cancelled. A new ordering process will be announced based on VIN. This is being done to ensure the highest level of customer service ... "

Yeah right ...

So if anyone "THINKS" that they have a steering gear coming, guess what ... Ya don't ...

Please call and complain LOUDLY as Ill be doing ...

These people are building and delivering NEW 2021 models WITH THE NEW STEERING GEARS that they OBVIOUSLY HAVE IN STOCK while they collect monthly payments from all of us customers whose MONEY THEY ALREADY HAVE ...

Totally shameless corporate BS ...

We are now dangerously close to lemon law or other legal territory ...

And forget Jeep Cares ... They are just in the middle of this as well .. Ive talked to them at length about this ... They CAN DO NOTHING and privately agree with us while towing the company line WHATEVER THAT IS ...

Maybe a little communication would help as opposed to the stealth tight lipped silence. It would go a long way FCA !!!

Everyone can deal with reality ... But stringing people along is just bad policy ...
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the dates for my steering gear have been given to me and than not met/moved 5 separate times now ... I just got off of the phone with my dealer and was told that the most recent "order" was cancelled by FCA ... I demanded that he give me more information ...

He read to me the text of some corporate directive that basically said the following:

"All orders for TSB xxxxxxx for Jeep Gladiator steering gears have been cancelled. A new ordering process will be announced based on VIN. This is being done to ensure the highest level of customer service ... "

Yeah right ...

So if anyone "THINKS" that they have a steering gear coming, guess what ... Ya don't ...

Please call and complain LOUDLY as Ill be doing ...

These people are building and delivering NEW 2021 models WITH THE NEW STEERING GEARS that they OBVIOUSLY HAVE IN STOCK while they collect monthly payments from all of us customers whose MONEY THEY ALREADY HAVE ...

Totally shameless corporate BS ...

We are now dangerously close to lemon law or other legal territory ...

And forget Jeep Cares ... They are just in the middle of this as well .. Ive talked to them at length about this ... They CAN DO NOTHING and privately agree with us while towing the company line WHATEVER THAT IS ...

Maybe a little communication would help as opposed to the stealth tight lipped silence. It would go a long way FCA !!!

Everyone can deal with reality ... But stringing people along is just bad policy ...
This happens when you see a rush for replacement even when the purchaser says he knows he has no problem, but since it is being offered I will grab it even if it negatively effects someone who has a legitimate problem. FCA knows there dealerships don't want to be the bad guy and refuse a claim that they can or can't duplicate when there is a factory tsb. I personally don't have a problem with mine and had no plans to replace unless a problem came up. I don't believe every aluminum steering box is bad and there must have been a reason behind going aluminum in the first place since it is probably more expensive to produce. I think it was a quality control issue. If wrong I'm sure FCA will be forced to replace all the boxes as a safety issue. At least they are admitting that they know they have a problem with at least some of there gear boxes. After owning a Porsche with the dreaded intermediate shaft bearing failure and the factory denieing any problem with their engine design or parts used I think this is a plus for FCA.

OP
OP
MrZappo

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Its covid season and everything is getting backed up. Take a chill pill, people are dieing and your worried about wonky steering.

That is a BS response ... Wanting my steering fixed while I continue to make monthly payments is in no way linked to COVID or any deaths ... What the heck are you talking about ???

All I expect is clear honest communication ... Instead I (and we) get BS dates that are missed time after time and company line BS ...

Just tell us what to expect. If it is 6 months than say THAT ... Whatever ... People can deal with the truth, no one likes being strung along ...

People are dying ? Please ...

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
This happens when you see a rush for replacement even when the purchaser says he knows he has no problem, but since it is being offered I will grab it even if it negatively effects someone who has a legitimate problem. FCA knows there dealerships don't want to be the bad guy and refuse a claim that they can or can't duplicate when there is a factory tsb. I personally don't have a problem with mine and had no plans to replace unless a problem came up. I don't believe every aluminum steering box is bad and there must have been a reason behind going aluminum in the first place since it is probably more expensive to produce. I think it was a quality control issue. If wrong I'm sure FCA will be forced to replace all the boxes as a safety issue. At least they are admitting that they know they have a problem with at least some of there gear boxes. After owning a Porsche with the dreaded intermediate shaft bearing failure and the factory denieing any problem with their engine design or parts used I think this is a plus for FCA.
I think you nailed it... OP this is a more likely scenario than straight up corporate greed. Not saying all of your grips are illegitimate but what Cmomodus laid out seems the likely culprit. Turns out consumers and corporations are greedy :facepalm:

OP
OP
MrZappo

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I think you nailed it... OP this is a more likely scenario than straight up corporate greed. Not saying all of your grips are illegitimate but what Cmomodus laid out seems the likely culprit. Turns out consumers and corporations are greedy :facepalm:

Follow me here:

They are making 2021 trucks correct ? Those all have the steering box that we need correct ?

So, the boxes are IN STOCK ... But the do not allocate to past customers whose money they already have and then tell the public that there is a problem with the stock ...

There is not a stock problem ... There is an allocation problem ...

And honestly none of this matters nearly as much as the run around that they are giving people ... Just give us the real story and most people (including me) would be tolerant and consider the state of things ..

Instead they give new dates over and over, then miss those dates, then the story changes ... Why do this ? You are probably 100% correct about the reasons ... So, why not just say it as opposed to what they are doing ... It is very irritating to people ...

Any freshman PR person would know that ...

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have to agree. I got mine done as soon as I took ownership of mine in Aug 2020 and mine didn't wonder but had some play in the steering wheel. . I just pumped up the tire psi so it con wonder.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I own a 2020, I'm currently not experiencing any problems. I'm not planning to ask for the TSB, mainly because I'm concerned they'll screw something else up whilst replacing the unit.

However, I can understand someone who isn't currently experiencing problems desiring a replacement:
1) they're concerned they will have a future issue and the 'fix' won't be available
2) the problem will occur after warranty and don't want to pay
3) RESALE value - 'Jeep People' tend to know their vehicles better and would probably be interested in knowing if the TSB has/has not been performed on a potential purchase

Just sayin'

OP
OP
MrZappo

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I own a 2020, I'm currently not experiencing any problems. I'm not planning to ask for the TSB, mainly because I'm concerned they'll screw something else up whilst replacing the unit.

However, I can understand someone who isn't currently experiencing problems desiring a replacement:
1) they're concerned they will have a future issue and the 'fix' won't be available
2) the problem will occur after warranty and don't want to pay
3) RESALE value - 'Jeep People' tend to know their vehicles better and would probably be interested in knowing if the TSB has/has not been performed on a potential purchase

Just sayin'

You are SMART ...

Mine was done early ... I got in the first week of the TSB ... And my dealer service department ordered and installed the WRONG PART NUMBER ... Brilliant ...

I now have a new steering box for a JL Wrangler which has a different gearing ratio and steers rather oddly ... Not dangerous but definitely not the right part. Its easy to tell ...

So, I've been waiting for over 2 months to get the correct part installed ...

Stay as far as you can from this situation until they get their stock sorted ...

Sponsored

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You are SMART ...

Mine was done early ... I got in the first week of the TSB ... And my dealer service department ordered and installed the WRONG PART NUMBER ... Brilliant ...

I now have a new steering box for a JL Wrangler which has a different gearing ratio and steers rather oddly ... Not dangerous but definitely not the right part. Its easy to tell ...

Stay as far as you can from this situation until they get their stock sorted ...
Damn the sucks

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Follow me here:

They are making 2021 trucks correct ? Those all have the steering box that we need correct ?

So, the boxes are IN STOCK ... But the do not allocate to past customers whose money they already have and then tell the public that there is a problem with the stock ...

There is not a stock problem .

I still don't know if this new and not improved over ancient style steering gears are going to be any better long term, especially after having to reprogram the electric steering pump. I know as a tech dealing with the steel steering boxes they have there own known problems with leaks, bearing wear and even frame flex with oversized tires. As long as I don't have a problem, I'm willing to gamble that the aluminum box will be a better choice or the fed's will force a recall at some date.

Last edited:

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
You are SMART ...

Well then that seems to be a totally different issue and one I put on the dealership, not FCA. Dealership installed the wrong part...they need to own up to that with Jeep and do whatever they need to do to fix....