Sponsored

ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!!

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think that "fix for the fix" stuff was a either a misunderstanding or typical dealer misinformation. The guinea pig phase is over...either your dealer knows what they're doing and want to help you or they don't have a clue and won't help you anyway. Scan the posts of those who have had it done and the vast majority are very glad they did it and happy with the results. That said, if you're happy with your Jeep's performance, leave it alone. Regardless, it can't hurt to get on the "list". If you name comes up and you still don't want it, I'm sure there will be someone behind you glad to get the part.
Amazing what a suggestion to the subconscious or conscious can result in the perception that a problem that wasn't there is now fixed. If you want or expect something bad enough it will always be better, not saying that some don't have a problem with loose steering just saying that those that didn't have a problem now feel a better steering reaction in the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Amazing what a suggestion to the subconscious or conscious can result in. If you want or expect something bad enough it will always be better
Hmmm...not sure what your point is...I've had the fix and it has resulted in tremendous improvement. Very glad it was done and successful. This didn't happen without issue or patience. My dealer mistakenly installed a steering gear for a Wrangler the first time. As soon as I pointed out the mistake, they rectified it immediately and installed the correct part. How did they have the part so quickly? I don't know...perhaps it was the one originally planned for me...perhaps is was there to CYA a mistake?

Even with the Wrangler part it was MUCH better than with the original part. Again, very glad it was done. My opinion isn't based on wishful thinking, fairy tales or moonbeams...it's based on my own experience and I relay that to others. Worked great for me and most folks who've posted completion - that's the "suggestion" I'm conveying.

Scan the posts for yourself, be an adult and make your own decision...

Last edited:

ffstorke54

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Paper Machine Operator
I’m waiting for my steering gear as well was just updated today that there is no longer an ETA on parts. Mine is bad enough it’s just sitting on the lot while I drive a service loaner which I was told to get used to it’s going to be mine for awhile. I guess ill
Just have to wait 30 days of it sitting there and start lemon law proceedings the last eta they did have was dec 13th and that order has now been canceled.

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
that stinks, I finally got our vehicle in for the first oil change and to have the TSB checked. It was approved and they said the part should arrive in December. Guess we'll see.

I keep tire PSI at 37 as per the door sticker. I complained about the wondering from day one. Sales person thought it might be alignment. Anyways, guess I'll see what happens in December.

Jeepfreak22

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just brought mine in today for oil and tire rotation, while there brought up the tsb about the steering, and they said there also is an update for the power train module tsb, which they did but said parts for the steering won’t be in till end of December . We’ll see if the call comes to bring it in. Got 17500 miles on it so I’m sure I can live with .

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Its covid season and everything is getting backed up. Take a chill pill, people are dieing and your worried about wonky steering.
I am personally sick and damn tired of the one size fits all excuse of "Covid." It's BS at its finest and not at all what one would expect from an American Icon. Personally, I do not have the patience or the will to take this shit anymore.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
He read to me the text of some corporate directive that basically said the following:

"All orders for TSB xxxxxxx for Jeep Gladiator steering gears have been cancelled. A new ordering process will be announced based on VIN. This is being done to ensure the highest level of customer service ... "
This may not be popular, but hear me out......

This was a HUGE issue with the JL. Many JL owners, myself included, filled complaints with the NHTSA. There’s a gigantic thread on it in JL forums. Several owners had the TSB done. Several didn’t because of ignorant dealers. Others don’t even know about it.

Many of the complaints logged with the NHTSA mention how much of a safety issue the poor steering is, I was one. No way I would have wanted my wife driving her JL with that steering in snow or ice. Fortunately I was able to get the fix

Now, here’s what really piqued my interest.....the part of the “corporate directive” you were told of that says “based on VIN.”

Guess what typically gets done by VIN?? RECALLS!
Im not saying this IS the case, but it’s just POSSIBLE, that the reason you were told this is because Jeep may be doing the right thing and issuing a recall to fix this.
Possibly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Its covid season and everything is getting backed up. Take a chill pill, people are dieing and your worried about wonky steering.
It's "dying" and it's down 30%.

As far as "wonky steering" have you even bothered looking at some of the videos - or helped some of these people diagnose their steering problems? Some of these are VERY dangerous and it's not just a bit loose or annoying. Wonky my butt.

You obviously have no issues with yours so you came in just to blast a person who has a steering issue and is upset over how Jeep is handling it and you bring up covid deaths?

The deaths are PROVEN over-reported, and the rate has dropped 30% since April, so relax, you are not nearly as likely to die as you think. Just wear your freakin' mask, wash your hands and stop hanging out in big groups.
This, too, shall pass.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

This was a HUGE issue with the JL. Many JL owners, myself included, filled complaints with the NHTSA. There’s a gigantic thread on it in JL forums. Several owners had the TSB done. Several didn’t because of ignorant dealers. Others don’t even know about it.

Many of the complaints logged with the NHTSA mention how much of a safety issue the poor steering is, I was one. No way I would have wanted my wife driving her JL with that steering in snow or ice. Fortunately I was able to get the fix

Now, here’s what really piqued my interest.....the part of the “corporate directive” you were told of that says “based on VIN.”

Im not saying this IS the case, but it’s just POSSIBLE, that the reason you were told this is because Jeep may be doing the right thing and issuing a recall to fix this.
Possibly.
I dunno - maybe, but when I went in for my wave oil change and tire rotation, they said my VIN was due for a PCM flash/update. They called it a recall but it's not.
Who knows - but there's still HOPE.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dont forget 90% of you never drove solid axle rigs in yr life much less a jeep. heard about this steering problem via internet and just think you gotta have the new box if you actually need it or not. I honestly dont blame them.
Not this "solid axle" bs again. That's a cop-out, an excuse. They should steer and handle like any other truck on the highways. Rough roads, that sort of thing -different. But on paved roads or even decent surfaces, that solid axle thing is crap.
IF it was that bad then Jeep would have never succeeded with the GRAND CHEROKEE which was a solid axle SUV for YEARS and handles like many cars and small trucks.

I've driven almost everything over the years from antiques to classics, grain trucks, every version of the Grand Cherokee ever made and now this JT and when they are right, they handle as well as my Chevy did.

I have seen the videos, I have helped people privately here with VERY loose steering. There IS a problem with many of these and no, it's NOT a "Jeep thing" - that's been thrown against the wall too many times - it no longer sticks.

I've worked with people on this issue for a year (or more by now).
Ask my wife how much better mine is - and she's owned all sorts of vehicles, and driven my trucks as well.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
FCA is trying to save some money, the books need to look good for PSA merger .

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I will be dropping off my JT at my local dealer. I referred them to the TSB and mentioned that the steering just feels way too loosie at highway speeds and needs constant correction to keep it straight. Will see what they say.

Please file a Vehicle Safety Complaint at NHTSA to raise awareness of this problem with our JTs.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Complaint filed. Not holding my breath.

LAJEEPR

First Name
Jimmie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Possibly.
Agreed. When I took mine in to have the steering play looked at two weeks ago, the service advisor mumbled something about checking the VIN, then next thing they were ordering the parts and told me to wait for a call to bring it back for the TSB work. No hassle at all. I’m sure Jeep knows which range of build dates are showing these issues at a higher rate.

jfreeham

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
287 Deep Forest Rd., Wilderness, MO 63941
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
My Gladiator arrived Aug. 22. As I drove it off of the lot I immediately noticed that there was a problem with the steering. I've been driving for 50 years, so I knew this wasn't right. It had the potential to be very dangerous, meaning, if I had 16-18 year olds, I wouldn't let them drive it.

When I got home I began doing research and learned about the service bulletin. I made copies of the bulletin. Highlighted the important parts. Took it to the service department. The service department placed an order for the new part. The first order was damaged in route, after having waited over two weeks for it. The second order was placed, immediately. A month passed. The second order arrived. The part was installed. The problem is fixed. I'm glad I jumped on the problem the day after I received the truck.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that you are imagining the problem. It's real. The black box works. The silver box is faulty. Look under the hood. If you have a silver box then you know that the problem is real. Look under the hood of a 2021 and you'll see the box is black.
Sponsored