Sponsored

ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!!

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have been waiting for 30 days, I just went to check in at the dealership after reading this thread. They said that they were told that they were only getting one per month...by pure coincidence the guy that had his replacement ready to install was not responding to their calls so the service manager said heā€™d put it in mine and that this guy would lose his place on the list. So now Iā€™m getting mine out in along with a replacement backup cam and both visors tomorrow.
Sponsored

Redbear

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Just had mine replaced yesterday. Initially told me it would be 7-10 days for parts--took 3 weeks. Definitely makes a difference in driving!

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Everyone,

Here is a brief update to hopefully help clarify a few things in regards to the TSB that was issued related to the steering gear.

Part orders were initially cancelled to better streamline the parts ordering process. Our dealers are aware of the new ordering process and we advise you to please continue working with your dealer.

We appreciate your patience, as well as your loyalty and passion for the Jeep brand! As always, please feel free to send us a private message if you have any additional questions.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
Hi Everyone,

Here is a brief update to hopefully help clarify a few things in regards to the TSB that was issued related to the steering gear.

Part orders were initially cancelled to better streamline the parts ordering process. Our dealers are aware of the new ordering process and we advise you to please continue working with your dealer.

We appreciate your patience, as well as your loyalty and passion for the Jeep brand! As always, please feel free to send us a private message if you have any additional questions.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
that's a hilariously ham-fisted way to go about business unless you fixed the preexisting orders on your end instead of putting the onus on dealers to resubmit them.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Just got off the phone with Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs. My steering box was set to be in this month along with a big shipment of others that they had been waiting on for a while.

It turns out, the order appears to have been canceled and they are now having to re-order them all and will only be allotted ONE per month. I am 3rd in line, so as of right now, I now will have to wait 3-4 months for my new steering box.

I am pretty frustrated with how FCA has gone about this entire situation. This is obviously a huge problem that affects a huge number of vehicles and unfortunately it appears that, as always, the customer ends up being the one getting inconvenienced and screwed.

I am thankful they are at least addressing the issue, but that doesn't mean we can't be frustrated at this disaster of a process that this whole situation has been.

Final note: Faricy Boys has been excellent with providing updates and not giving me the run around with excuses and just telling me the info they have. I continue to be pleased with my experience with them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrZappo

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Hi Everyone,

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Ya know, Darlene I have to give credit to you ... It is obvious that FCA makes decisions that the fine people at Jeep Cares have to live with ... I can't imagine that it is easy when corporate makes sweeping decisions that affect so many of us in a negative fashion ...

I've been talking to my contact at Jeep Cares throughout this ordeal and it is very clear that he does want to help me and is doing his best while management tells him one thing and does another ... I can hear it when talking to him that he KNOWS what a ridiculous position management has put him in by forcing him to give me fake dates with no basis in reality ... But he is doing what he is told to do ...

I have no desire to "shoot the messenger". I appreciate the position that you are in.

With respect to the "patience, as well as loyalty and passion for the Jeep brand!", please pass along to management that a smidge of honesty and integrity in dealings with the "loyal and passionate" client base would really help to keep them "loyal and passionate" ...

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waiting for 30 days, I just went to check in at the dealership after reading this thread. They said that they were told that they were only getting one per month...by pure coincidence the guy that had his replacement ready to install was not responding to their calls so the service manager said heā€™d put it in mine and that this guy would lose his place on the list. So now Iā€™m getting mine out in along with a replacement backup cam and both visors tomorrow.
I had to have my driver's side visor replaced. Did yours break right at the point where it goes into the roof? Mine broke clean in half. Was quickly replaced under warranty; I was surprised, though, that the piece is plastic rather than metal.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had to have my driver's side visor replaced. Did yours break right at the point where it goes into the roof? Mine broke clean in half. Was quickly replaced under warranty; I was surprised, though, that the piece is plastic rather than metal.
Visor mounts have been plastic in many cars since the early 80s at least. I'm not real surprised as it's a common issue on some cars from 40 years ago...... on the other hand, you'd think they may have learned.
I found identical metal parts for my 82 car but still, those are "pot metal" and I'm careful with them.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thereā€™s a thread about the visors I actually fixed it myself but I accepted the new part and will keep having it replaced every time...my truck is 4 weeks old there should not be anything broken. Lol
It broke in the same spot yours did itā€™s a terrible design and itā€™s going to continue to happen because the homelink ones are much heavier. So 400.00 part will keep getting replaced until they create an actual fix.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I got mine replaced end of October and it is well worth the wait. For those complaining here, screaming at your dealer is not going to get you fixed sooner. Please be patient, I am sure Jeep is going to make it right to you. Your jeep is perfectly driveable and you will be very happy with the outcome. My dealer stated mine was the first one done and they are allowed to order one per month. There are several folks in the queue already waiting.

There are many supply issues now, and Chrysler is not the only one facing supplier challenges. This is a new world we live in with COVID impacting everything around us.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
......... Your jeep is perfectly driveable ..................

There are many supply issues now, and Chrysler is not the only one facing supplier challenges. This is a new world we live in with COVID impacting everything around us.
Yours might have been- but some are actually not very safe. Yes, some ARE that bad.

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine replaced end of October and it is well worth the wait. For those complaining here, screaming at your dealer is not going to get you fixed sooner. Please be patient, I am sure Jeep is going to make it right to you. Your jeep is perfectly driveable and you will be very happy with the outcome.

Define "perfectly driveable". My Jeep is drivable below 40 MPH. Get above that, say on the highway, and the wander becomes harder to correct and dangerous. I will not drive on the highway and my wife won't even get behind the wheel after her first attempt.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yours might have been- but some are actually not very safe. Yes, some ARE that bad.
I would say if that ARE that bad, than have the dealer tow it and bring you a loaner until its fixed. No dealer will allow you to drive an unsafe vehicle, cause ultimately they can be held liable in case of a major accident.

Define "perfectly driveable". My Jeep is drivable below 40 MPH. Get above that, say on the highway, and the wander becomes harder to correct and dangerous. I will not drive on the highway and my wife won't even get behind the wheel after her first attempt.
Mine was had a significant play, 1 inch either way in the steering wheel. I drove it perfectly fine to the OBX and back ~400 miles each way. Was it little annoying, yes. Was it driveable, yes. That was back in August. When the dealer told me I need to wait two months, I accepted the fact and lived with it. As I mentioned above, no dealer will allow you to drive an unsafe vehicle.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Surely you are joking?

I would say if that ARE that bad, than have the dealer tow it and bring you a loaner until its fixed. No dealer will allow you to drive an unsafe vehicle, cause ultimately they can be held liable in case of a major accident.

Mine was had a significant play, 1 inch either way in the steering wheel. I drove it perfectly fine to the OBX and back ~400 miles each way. Was it little annoying, yes. Was it driveable, yes. That was back in August. When the dealer told me I need to wait two months, I accepted the fact and lived with it. As I mentioned above, no dealer will allow you to drive an unsafe vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

You really haven't followed this issue very long, have you?
I think you are dreaming of an ideal world with ideal dealers and shops.

No dealer is going to tow it and then give you as loaner for months on end. Tow it based on what? A complaint? Right.
Some have had trouble getting a dealer to even admit there's a problem at all.
Further - the danger isn't always easy to feel or see unless you drive the thing under all sorts of conditions, say, on I80 between two semis, or on days like today where the wind is 15-20 with gusts up in the 30-35 range. You are between trucks, one moves over and suddenly you catch that wind and struggle to keep from hitting the truck on the other side of you.
It's not uncommon on the other hand, if you have the dealer "check it out" on a calm day - they'll say it's fine. They don't test drive out of their own little safe world. They don't go out of town, they don't hit 70 mph, nor do they drive in heavy traffic.
Again, obviously, yours wasn't as bad as some. It can't have been as you said yours was "a little annoying". Some of these are beyond annoying and you didn't go through some of the driving conditions others have.
Some people can't let their primary vehicle out of hand for the weeks or months it takes to get parts, and not all dealers always have "loaners" - it's "if available".
You might want to go back into last summer's posts and read and check some of the scary videos out there. Dealers were telling people with 2" of play "there's nothing wrong" - because for them there was no fix available, Jeep said nothing about it, there were no better parts anywhere, and no real solution.
Sponsored