All Terrian vs All Season Tires

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
As this is my frst Jeep, I have the option of choosing All Terrian tires or All Season on my JT. What are the pros and cons of each for all year driving?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
As this is my frst Jeep, I have the option of choosing All Terrian tires or All Season on my JT. What are the pros and cons of each for all year driving?
If you do mostly highway and street driving, all season would be a better choice, like what comes on the Overland. If you plan to go off road, or have to deal with snow and mud, all terrain would be a better choice. There is more highway noise with all terrain tires, but less traction in adverse conditions with all season tires.

OP
OP

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
If you do mostly highway and street driving, all season would be a better choice, like what comes on the Overland. If you plan to go off road, or have to deal with snow and mud, all terrain would be a better choice. There is more highway noise with all terrain tires, but less traction in adverse conditions with all season tires.
I'll be mostly on the street with the occasional off-roading.

Spouse

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corvette
We got the standard tires on our Overland. They look like car tires. We also got the premium soft top. This makes our Jeep the quietest one we have ever been in. Having grown up on a farm and other activities as an adult, maybe, I know off roading is more about the driver than the equipment. The tires will go anywhere we NEED to go, and some places we shouldn't go.

IMG_20200404_164809.jpg

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I have had both on various 4WD/AWD vehicles.

If you get real snow, all seasons suck. If you're going to do even light trails, all seasons suck.

All terrains are decent in the snow, but tend to not clear themselves very well.
All terrains are decent on trails, but mud will clog them.

I went with an RT on the gladiator. Between all terrain and mud terrain. about the same noise as an AT. Not as aggressive as a mud terrain, but closer to it than AT's.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I went with all season on my Overland build, as for the first three years it will mostly be a daily driver, with occasional light off-road adventures.

After that, God willing, I will retire and the original tires should need replacing, at which time I will get all terrain. Some are quieter than others.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Go ATs and don't ever look back! They aren't that loud and look way better then all seasons. If you go with all seasons good luck selling them if later you decide to upgrade. If you don't like the ATs and want to go all seasons then you will be able to sell them much easier used. My 2 cents

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I have had both on various 4WD/AWD vehicles.

If you get real snow, all seasons suck. If you're going to do even light trails, all seasons suck.

All terrains are decent in the snow, but tend to not clear themselves very well.
All terrains are decent on trails, but mud will clog them.

I went with an RT on the gladiator. Between all terrain and mud terrain. about the same noise as an AT. Not as aggressive as a mud terrain, but closer to it than AT's.
I had no idea about RTs. I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for making me look them up!

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Sport S comes with all season, but max tow upgrades them to all terrain. I feel that those AT's are the minimum I would want in snow or on a trail. They are quiet and the tread pattern is relatively mild. They only weigh about 34 lb in stock size, 245-75-17 SL. For snow and rougher trails I prefer the Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 235-80-17 E that weigh 49 lb and are .25" taller diameter.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The Con is the All Seasons look like crap on my Overland (damn COVID-my A/T purchase is on hold). If you want a good compromise between a good look and good road manners, I loved the Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts that I had on my 2017 Canyon All Terrain. Great traction, handling, and I never heard any tire noise. I ran Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos 2s in the past and loved them (same result), but they have the Revo 3 out now and I don't have any personal experience with them. I will be installing the Revo 3s on my Gladiator and will report once I have some miles on them. They are super light and have great reviews. Both the aforementioned Continental and Bridgestone have aggressive looking sidewalls and look good installed.
Sponsored