First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Have you mounted the propane tank yet or is it inside? I bought the external mount thinking I would run the hose inside the camper around to the EXO but then realized you have to disconnect the hose from the stove when you close the stove. Now I am trying to decide if I just leave the hose outside and connect as needed. I do not like the thought of the hose potentially banging around outside though.

Here is the new Expedition Essentials EXO table with partner stove
55F6D8E8-6C26-44DA-82AC-3D3258B00CD5.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Alu-Friends! Man do I hate the locks/handles that came with our Toppers..... One of them I cant even get the key in to lock anymore.
Anybody found any solutions to lube the lock, make the spring more powerful so it opens when cold? 4 out of 6 of mine don't like to open when its cold, and all 6 suffer from moisture freezing in them, so when the weather hovers anywhere near 32 during the day I know I may experience issues.

Its come to the point I don't even latch my rear 2, the gate stays closed (on mine anyway). The rear two froze one day rendering my truck bed unaccessible.... =(

Hope ya'll are doing well. I've got some more updates to do on my truck, hoping to share later this spring/summer. :sun::jk::turkey:
I'll have to agree on this. I haven't run my Gladiator thru a Maine winter as I've put it up the last two winters. But just thru late fall, early spring I have had issues withe the canopy latches freezing up. I'm sure they work great in Australia but not in freezing weather with precip.
Being a black top it warms up pretty quick in the sun and thaws. I carry a can of deicer spray in the cab. A few blasts frees things up in short order.
I wonder if a rubber flap glued to the cap covering the latch would help any?
It doesn't take much moisture to freeze up the latch though so I dunno.
I like the flush mounting of the latches but it freezes up way to easy.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
are you sure its the handle mechanism that's squeeky and not a seal? Can you post a photo of the handle mechanism? I think most on this thread have the straight up topper kind, not the camper one like you do.
are you sure its the handle mechanism that's squeeky and not a seal? Can you post a photo of the handle mechanism? I think most on this thread have the straight up topper kind, not the camper one like you do.
Not sure. Here's a video showing the door being opened.

coreoski

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Test Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm up in Michigan and am totally with you guys. Pretty much the first bit of winter precipitation and it wasn't working. Ended up picking up the Alu-Cab Latch Covers because I needed something. They're pricey for what they are and honestly a bit of a pain to actually get to seat completely after use, but they do their job and freezing/rusting hasn't been a problem since. Might take them back off now that it's warming up.

While installing them though I noticed something; if you tighten down the single nut on the inside of the latch assembly too much, the spring won't have enough force to pull the latches out after you press the button. Loosened them up again and it's much better now.

Either way if they came up with a v2 of this push button latch, they'd definitely have my attention!

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Have you mounted the propane tank yet or is it inside? I bought the external mount thinking I would run the hose inside the camper around to the EXO but then realized you have to disconnect the hose from the stove when you close the stove. Now I am trying to decide if I just leave the hose outside and connect as needed. I do not like the thought of the hose potentially banging around outside though.
Hey, I have the tank mounted now, adding the GP Factor/Dickinson heater soon. Iā€˜ll have a connection to the heater with a quick disconnect for the stove.
right now Iā€™m on yard duty.
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap 46964DF6-8392-43D3-AD5B-83C0DA483A89

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Alu-Friends! Man do I hate the locks/handles that came with our Toppers..... One of them I cant even get the key in to lock anymore.
Anybody found any solutions to lube the lock, make the spring more powerful so it opens when cold? 4 out of 6 of mine don't like to open when its cold, and all 6 suffer from moisture freezing in them, so when the weather hovers anywhere near 32 during the day I know I may experience issues.

Its come to the point I don't even latch my rear 2, the gate stays closed (on mine anyway). The rear two froze one day rendering my truck bed unaccessible.... =(

Hope ya'll are doing well. I've got some more updates to do on my truck, hoping to share later this spring/summer. :sun::jk::turkey:
It's not just that Alu-Cab that has freezing up problems. I had it on my RLD topper, glad I didn't have to get in bed. S. Africa make some dang fine stuff for dealing with dust and rain but not so much for ice. Dang I really still like them Alu-Cab's, but I'll just have to live with my RLD gen #1 topper for now.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Hey, I have the tank mounted now, adding the GP Factor/Dickinson heater soon. Iā€˜ll have a connection to the heater with a quick disconnect for the stove.
right now Iā€™m on yard duty.
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap 46964DF6-8392-43D3-AD5B-83C0DA483A89

Nice. Where did you penetrate the camper for the gas line? Since I am going to just do the stove for now, I am considering just removing the hose from the tank every time rather than drilling. If I go with a furnace in the future, I would need to drill.

Can you post the details on the quick disconnect? My door plate should be coming in this week so I can get my stove mounted.

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Nice. Where did you penetrate the camper for the gas line? Since I am going to just do the stove for now, I am considering just removing the hose from the tank every time rather than drilling. If I go with a furnace in the future, I would need to drill.

Can you post the details on the quick disconnect? My door plate should be coming in this week so I can get my stove mounted.
I have not run the gas line yet, waiting to install the fireplace first. Iā€™ll post photos once itā€™s complete.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Iā€™m planning on putting a propane tank inside my RSI cap for a kitchen slide partner stove, but think that propane tanks inside have to be in sealed space with a low vent to outside. Iā€™m still in planning stage but am thinking about building a starboard material box in the rear corner by the tie down and use the two openings there as the vent. I really think the Aluma camper is an awesome setup!.....Jack

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
What fireplace are you using , Dickenson? Guess I should look into the options out there......Jack

Sponsored

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
What fireplace are you using , Dickenson? Guess I should look into the options out there......Jack
Yes, I have the Dickinson and the GP Factor mount ready to go. Asheville vehicle outfitters will install shortly.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to install the Expedition Essentials propane tank to the camper this morning but realized not only we the nuts and bolts not included, but the holes do not line up. Did you guys drill the molle panel or am I doing something wrong?

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I was going to install the Expedition Essentials propane tank to the camper this morning but realized not only we the nuts and bolts not included, but the holes do not line up. Did you guys drill the molle panel or am I doing something wrong?
I was able to use two holes and drill two others, Iā€™ll send photos.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Where did you order this from?
ok4wd.com Actually they're the distributor for north america, and then it was a dealer from their network. Can't remember their name, but i'd start with ok4wd.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Being a black top it warms up pretty quick in the sun and thaws. I carry a can of deicer spray in the cab. A few blasts frees things up in short order.
I wonder if a rubber flap glued to the cap covering the latch would help any?
It doesn't take much moisture to freeze up the latch though so I dunno.
I like the flush mounting of the latches but it freezes up way to easy.
Yeah I liked the flush mount of the stock setup too. This bulbous solution is going to anger me for months every time I look at it.

Kinda ugly, but probably would fix my weather issues. https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/canopies/alu-cab-push-button-lock-cover-each-alua-pb-cov

Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap 1617639753501
Sponsored