Sponsored

Aluminum steering box. Leave or replace?

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I have a 2020 jt. First question is how can I tell if I have the aluminum steering box?
Second is if I’m not having issues with my steering. Should I upgrade to the steel while I’m still under warranty? My truck drives straight and without much play at all in the wheel. I recently upgraded to Clayton 2.5 lift and 37s.
Sponsored

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Unless you are gonna put a truss on it (made by several aftermarket folks) you need to toss it

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Lift the inner finder by the driver side tire and to see which steering box you have. There is a lengthy thread on here about the TSB. My original one wasn't too bad, but required constant correction which got annoying. When replaced it was a huge difference, steering felt much tighter the first time I turned the wheel

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Magnets don't stick to aluminum.
If you can still get it replaced for free then do that. If not then at least get a reinforcing brace, like the Metalcloak.

Sponsored

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
I've been wondering the same, as I still have the aluminum box, too. Still under 3yr/36k warranty, so I think I'm going to have it swapped.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I would suggest getting it done regardless. You might even have the issue now but because of muscle memory over time, might not notice it.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Lift the inner finder by the driver side tire and to see which steering box you have. There is a lengthy thread on here about the TSB. My original one wasn't too bad, but required constant correction which got annoying. When replaced it was a huge difference, steering felt much tighter the first time I turned the wheel
You can see it from above by looking down from the left of the air intake. And yes, replace it. Ideally before you do any major modifications.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
You can see it from above by looking down from the left of the air intake. And yes, replace it. Ideally before you do any major modifications.
Y'all have convinced me. I've got an appointment at 11:30 for them to "examine" the vehicle. I've printed the TSB out and am taking it with me.

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Picking mine up today from getting the steering box replaced. I had to take my Gladiator in for other warranty work, leaking motor mount???, so I mentioned that it wandered since day one and the TSB number. They replaced it with no questions. We will se if it makes a difference since it didn't wander any more than expected.

Sponsored

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm in the same boat as the OP...have original AL steering box but haven't noticed any issues so I haven't had it replaced. I think I may go ahead and take it in before my 3/36 runs out in May 2023.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This TSB does state at the bottom that the repairs are covered under the warrenty provisions. I previously incorrectly stated that it wasnt warrenty related. Thanks @Hootbro for clearing that up. My truck (wifes) had over 47000 on the clock when I took it in. They changed it because I stated that it wandered. The TSB clearly states that if the customer states the above conditions, perform the TSB. But it also has some verbage regarding non factory approved lift kits so read through it carefully. Anyway I had 0 issues with them doing the work and it didn't cost me a dime. Hopefully everyone else has the same experience.

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
A TSB is not warranty related or dependent. I keep seeing alot of comments about getting it done before the 3y 36000 mark. My truck (wifes) had over 47000 on the clock when I took it in. They changed it because I stated that it wandered. The TSB clearly states that if the customer states the above conditions, perform the TSB. But it also has some verbage regarding non factory approved lift kits so read through it carefully. Anyway I had 0 issues with them doing the work and it didn't cost me a dime. Hopefully everyone else has the same experience.
If you did not pay out of pocket and were out of the 3/36K bumper to bumper, then you got a freebie that should have been a out of pocket expense. You got lucky.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If you did not pay out of pocket and were out of the 3/36K bumper to bumper, then you got a freebie that should have been a out of pocket expense. You got lucky.
I guess I did. They said no charge and sent me on my way.
Sponsored