Sponsored

Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Conclusion: yes they fit and good for wheeling

So having read all the threads on the topic of 35” tires, on stock wheels, and on a stock JT, I am getting conflicting reports and answers.

Will 35x12.5x17 tires fit on a stock Sport S Max Tow having the 3-piece Mopar bumper? Anyone tried? Any rubbing while offroadin? If so, how much and under what conditions/terrain? I am hearing/reading folks saying problems will range from rubbing a little on the fender liners, do “major rubbing” on control arms, to flat out knocking fenders off.

So far I have personally seen a Rubicon rock 35” KM3s on the trails I run without rubbing. But rubicons have more lift and higher fenders.

I thin I will ignore the Jeep shop telling me to drop another $1000 on parts and labor for a leveling kit and spacers, and roll the dice.

If the consensus here is that I will need spacers/lift/leveling then I’ll just eat the restock fee. Have until noon Friday to decide. Been riding fine on my 32s, but the scrapes and scratches are adding up...

See p2 for pics and video of wheeling
Sponsored

Last edited:

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
So far everyone on FB is saying no problems
I have a Rubicon, but there have been several guys on here with Sports that removed the plastic wing between the bumper and fender. I know there is room to spare, but not sure how much flex you will have.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Rubicon, but there have been several guys on here with Sports that removed the plastic wing between the bumper and fender. I know there is room to spare, but not sure how much flex you will have.
If he can find a set of Rubicon takeoff fenders and toss on an aftermarket steel winch bumper that would be better, since the Rubicon fenders sit about 1.5" taller than the other models, giving more clearance. I've read of folks finding them really cheap online.

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
If he can find a set of Rubicon takeoff fenders and toss on an aftermarket steel winch bumper that would be better, since the Rubicon fenders sit about 1.5" taller than the other models, giving more clearance. I've read of folks finding them really cheap online.
If he has the Max Tow, the fenders are the same as the Rubicon. Unless that changed since I bought mine.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If he has the Max Tow, the fenders are the same as the Rubicon. Unless that changed since I bought mine.
I was told the Rubicon was the only model with the extra-high fenders... The Max Tow might come with split fenders (and no air dams) from the factory, but I don't think they sit up as high as the Rubicon... At least, that's how I always read it... To be quite honest, I was always planning to buy a JTR from the get-go, so I never even entertained the exterior of the Max Tow, only what the Rubicon had drivetain-wise over the Max Tow.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Max Tow fenders are lower than Rubicon’s. The JTR sits about an inch higher than the other trims. I do have the steel bumper and just removed the wings. Going to install the 35s tomorrow and wheel Saturday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Max Tow fenders are lower than Rubicon’s. The JTR sits about an inch higher than the other trims. I do have the steel bumper and just removed the wings. Going to install the 35s tomorrow and wheel Saturday
That’s what I was thinking... Only the Rubicon has the tall fenders.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Max tow fenders just have an extra wide lip on the end of the fenders . There not same hight as Rubicon

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far so good. I turned it to full left and released slowly so the steering wheel would return as little as possible. So not full lock.

32” in same tire
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! AB2F213B-9D5E-4289-9C53-DDF79EA6082D

35s
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! 55907676-2C2D-4E3C-9404-9DBCB838A034

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! 0F4DF4B8-655E-4336-8C5E-EEB03D7119A3

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! 277791DE-C375-41F8-AC14-4111AF48478A

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! 64CD5B54-AB8C-470C-BCF5-42C107A902E1

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! E000FDCF-01C8-471A-BBA9-B1BA5A131521

not even close to hitting control arms
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! A6D962DD-EEB8-4ACD-8B41-31D9CABE5554

Rear
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! 8D9AE2A2-3D54-439D-B656-FF9E85B01A60

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did some pretty good wheeling today. All day in the mountains. Mud, ruts, and rock crawling. The Jeep did fine. Only rubbed when articulating on larger mounds that would have put me at 20 degrees roll if they were long enough

more updates, hopefully videos, tomorrow

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
They look great and I'm glad it's working out for you.

On a side not, if it were me I would paint or plastic those rims black. Then in would look awesome! Of course that's just my opinion which ain't worth much. ;)

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They look great and I'm glad it's working out for you.

On a side not, if it were me I would paint or plastic those rims black. Then in would look awesome! Of course that's just my opinion which ain't worth much. ;)
It is worth alot around here.
Is it bad I like the bulge in the tires from being on 7.5” wide rims?

Gunnuts

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I should do a build thread because I bought a sport s max tow and rubicloned it. Rubicon fenders give 1 additional inch of clearance over the max tow fender. I took measurements before and after. Your truck looks great.
Sponsored