Another small truck… Maverick

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Regardless of what a tesla runs on. Once you drive one, it is hard to deny it is a well designed and constructed car. I put a charger in for our 4xe. It was a pain, and there is not alot of concrete information for codes and what not. Also there is limited info on trusted vendors and what not. I just used my best judgement. Probably be a Mike Holmes special in the distant future lol.
I'm not sure what was fueling it (LOL). But that damned car pinned me to the seat on take off and was silent which was the most strange thing.
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that infrastructure isn't set up for electric yet, it just makes me wonder how likely it is that you might get stuck somewhere needing a charge and have to be towed to a charging station of some sort. Call me crazy.
That would apply to an electric vehicle and not a hybrid vehicle. A hybrid has an ICE and an electric motor which serves as a power-assist. The battery is charged by the ICE. Some hybrids can also be plugged in to charge, but I don't think that's the case with the new Maverick.

The same EV situation applied when the Model-T came out. Once you got outside of town, there weren't any gas stations. But wow, that somehow changed with demand. Anyone who buys an EV today knows not to drive it where it can't be charged.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Reminds me kind of like my uncle's El Camino. He didn't want a truck but needed something with a small bed.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reminds me kind of like my uncle's El Camino. He didn't want a truck but needed something with a small bed.
I think that's an accurate comparison. That concept was first developed by Ford in the form of the Ranchero which Chevrolet copied. (Ford later developed the concept of the Pony Car with the Mustang. Chevy copied that with the Camaro.)

Although, the Maverick isn't really breaking any new territory. We've already seen many SUVs with the tops chopped off for a pickup bed.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
That would apply to an electric vehicle and not a hybrid vehicle. A hybrid has an ICE and an electric motor which serves as a power-assist. The battery is charged by the ICE. Some hybrids can also be plugged in to charge, but I don't think that's the case with the new Maverick.

The same EV situation applied when the Model-T came out. Once you got outside of town, there weren't any gas stations. But wow, that somehow changed with demand. Anyone who buys an EV today knows not to drive it where it can't be charged.
So, the ICE charges the battery. What charges or runs the ICE? It has to be gasoline....unless my understanding of how this stuff works is completely off. All I'm saying is, I'm not so sure that this stuff is ready for prime time....even the Prius still has issues that are problematic at best, expensive at worst.

Sponsored

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Market wise the truck manufacturers are trying to capture the Home Depot/Lowes segment who need to bring home a few bags of mulch and plants to spruce up around the house. Since certain cars carry negative image think Ford station wagon of the 1970s. They are trying to build something similar that appeals.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So, the ICE charges the battery. What charges or runs the ICE? It has to be gasoline....unless my understanding of how this stuff works is completely off. All I'm saying is, I'm not so sure that this stuff is ready for prime time....even the Prius still has issues that are problematic at best, expensive at worst.
It is getting closer in recent years. Motors are getting extremely efficient and power dense. The batteries are also making strides. A tesla can garner 300 miles of range in a couple hours of charge. My Gladiator does about 248 miles im 10 minutes of fueling, still a bit of a divide but not as bad as it was 5 years ago.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
It is getting closer in recent years. Motors are getting extremely efficient and power dense. The batteries are also making strides. A tesla can garner 300 miles of range in a couple hours of charge. My Gladiator does about 248 miles im 10 minutes of fueling, still a bit of a divide but not as bad as it was 5 years ago.
If I understand this correctly. I would have to locate a charging station every 300 miles with a Tesla. So a drive from Delaware to Southern Florida would see several hours added to my trip for repeated stops lasting several hours to charge the Tesla?

AverageDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
VP of Operations
Problem is when it's on the dash people tend to mistake it for a volume knob and start whipping it back and forth while driving, not realizing they're shifting rather than turning up the radio.
I hear you on that. In my old Ranger, the 4wd knob was right beside the volume knob. Not brilliant placement.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, in the case of the Maverick, the ICE runs on gasoline. Hybrid technology is pretty good these days. I'm not a fan of the Prius, but it is a good hybrid car that gets good MPG. Sure there are challenges with hybrid technology just as there are challenges with ICE technology.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
If I understand this correctly. I would have to locate a charging station every 300 miles with a Tesla. So a drive from Delaware to Southern Florida would see several hours added to my trip for repeated stops lasting several hours to charge the Tesla?
Yes that will be the case, the new hybrids though seem to have it covered and are utilizing electric for power add

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I traded a 2015 Trailhawk in for my Gladiator ($15,500) too. I was quite enamored of the little fella. Took me a lot of places. I would've liked seeing Jeep market a little Comanche.
A custom shop actually did it and since I had a 2017 Renegade DesertHawk before my Gladiator (Actually traded it for $17500 towards it) I am rather fond of a little tiny Comanche Renegade.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
All I'm saying is, I'm not so sure that this stuff is ready for prime time....even the Prius still has issues that are problematic at best, expensive at worst.
You've got to be kidding. The Prius is extremely well documented as being one of the most reliable vehicles ever produced, by any manufacturer. And no, I don't drive one...but I'm well aware of the reliability and low cost to own. To throw the Prius into the mix when trying to prove hybrids aren't ready for prime time is just asking to lose the argument. Do some research and you'll find that Toyota did their homework on the Prius (though like any manufacturer, they had some learning pains on the first generation of it).

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
That's exactly my issue with all-electric...you simply cannot take a long road trip without planning out charging locations (and spending a good bit of extra time while plugged in). We routinely take 1k mile + trips, and I just cannot imagine stopping every 250-300 miles for an hour or more to charge, while juggling kiddos and dogs that inevitably won't want to just sit in the vehicle for however long it takes to get back to full charge. Electric vehicles have made a lot of progress in recent years, but I still feel like they are for a very specific driver and just aren't adequate yet for long distance trips.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
That's exactly my issue with all-electric...you simply cannot take a long road trip without planning out charging locations (and spending a good bit of extra time while plugged in). We routinely take 1k mile + trips, and I just cannot imagine stopping every 250-300 miles for an hour or more to charge, while juggling kiddos and dogs that inevitably won't want to just sit in the vehicle for however long it takes to get back to full charge. Electric vehicles have made a lot of progress in recent years, but I still feel like they are for a very specific driver and just aren't adequate yet for long distance trips.
The local WaWa convience stores have charging stations. and a few stores. For them it is a win to capture customers who have to sit while recharging.
Sponsored