Sponsored

Another towing thread....sorry...

Labswine

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steven
Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Threads
38
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
1,816
Location
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired Chemist
My set up...'20 Overland, stock (ordered 5/19, delivered 7/19). Trailer: 27' Vantage Sonic SN220VRB, 5,100 lbs with all we want or need, ~500 lb tongue weight, BlueOx WDH, Tenkonsha Primus IQ brake controller. Hitched up no WDH, 1 1/2" drop in rear. Hook up the WDH, only 3/4" drop. Shift manually, cruise at 65 MPH in 7th at around 2,100 RPMs, drop to 6th or 5th on occasion to maintain at least 55 MPH on grades, RPMs around 3K in 5th. Mileage: 10 through the Poconos in NE PA going to New York, 13 towing to coastal areas on the east coast...yeah, beaches. Handles my trailer very well.

Jeep Gladiator Another towing thread....sorry... Front Yard Pic
 

IRAH

Well-Known Member
First Name
Irah
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
54
Reaction score
86
Location
Chalk River, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2026 Jeep Gladiator Sahara
Occupation
Reitred RCAF/Canadian Army/VA3IRA
Its estimated you loose 3.5% power per inch you go up. Max tow gladdies roll out with 31.5" tires stock.. If you run 37's, that's 5.5 inches, or a 20% power loss just to turn those tires.

Likewise, you've regeared to compensate for the larger tires and make up for the loss, but the Gladdy is still a loud towing rig. Loves to rev high and that's what it is- it will still do the job, but sing the entire time it does it.

I suppose despite my earlier threads the gladdy isnt the perfect tow rig, and its arguably not the best offroader. It doesnt have the best payload (ok some dont) and its not got the biggest bed.
Its not the best at style (debatable) and certainly not the most fuel efficient, but where it shines is that its pretty good at all these things.

The jack of all trades, but not a master of anything in particular. That's why its great.
 

FC1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Donald
Joined
Oct 26, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
173
Reaction score
153
Location
florida
Vehicle(s)
2015 jeep
Occupation
welder
That’s some good looking camping rigs
 

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

Well-Known Member
First Name
Carl
Joined
May 6, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
1,846
Reaction score
2,906
Location
Washington
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Pic for reference

IMG_2842.webp
The Grouch looks good.

On another note. You'd want more tongue weight if you were to tow again. 10% is bare minimum, and that's of the loaded trailer weight. 10 to 15% is recommended tongue weight.
 

Janster

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jandy
Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Threads
43
Messages
2,056
Reaction score
3,175
Location
Lancaster, PA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Mojave X
Occupation
Biller
Since I'm sure everyone loves that we keep bringing up the Colorado, it can drag a 6,800 pound trailer up a 7% grade at 60MPH with a little bit of pedal to spare.

Can't fit 37's under it though 🤣
….and another reason why they have those run-away truck ramps on the highways. What goes up, must come down!!
 

ChrisNLA

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Threads
22
Messages
3,240
Reaction score
6,130
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
….and another reason why they have those run-away truck ramps on the highways. What goes up, must come down!!
In the test it did ok going down as well. They come with trailer brake controllers when you get a towing package.

Unlike our trucks 😄
 
OP
OP
tom.mary.glad

tom.mary.glad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Threads
33
Messages
224
Reaction score
203
Location
Arlington, TX
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 3.6L, automatic with max tow
The Grouch looks good.

On another note. You'd want more tongue weight if you were to tow again. 10% is bare minimum, and that's of the loaded trailer weight. 10 to 15% is recommended tongue weight.
I agree but I had the front packed side to side and didn’t want to stack on top of my parent’s 60+ year old furniture.
 

Stan H

Well-Known Member
First Name
Stanley
Joined
Oct 26, 2022
Threads
10
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
5,893
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
To add to the “fun”, this morning when I went to return the trailer, on cold startup the engine ticked for a few seconds. I typically have a little noise on cold startup but this was different. I hope the stress from towing didn’t get my cam and lifters.
Nah sometimes after a stressful run when the oil is thin it will do that the next morning just let it warm up before ya drop into gear.
 

Sponsored

LouisvEarlleJT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2023
Threads
37
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
2,003
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Only thing I'd add is that towing is kind of like cruising, it's not about speed. Get comfortable at 60 (which, as you found, is about all it'll do) and enjoy the scenery.

That's how I have towed even with a full-size truck. Too much that can go wrong at speed to risk trying to fly with all the other non-towing vehicles.
 

WhereInTarnation

Well-Known Member
First Name
Roger
Joined
Nov 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
68
Reaction score
87
Location
RV
Vehicle(s)
2025 Gladiator, 2022 Chevrolet 3500DRW
Occupation
IT Geek
I’m sorry. No matter how hard I try I consider the Gladiator wishful thinking as a tow vehicle. I love mine, but when it comes to towing I use a vehicle that’s made for it. And get twice the fuel mileage pulling a weight that maxes out a Gladiator.
Jeep Gladiator Another towing thread....sorry... IMG_2203
 

willys 41

Well-Known Member
First Name
Larry Olund
Joined
Oct 12, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
459
Reaction score
461
Location
Pleasanton Ca.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Machinist / Auto Technician
This is the way I tow. With my 2025 f250 diesel I can do 80mph at 7000ft altitude 7% grade pull 9000lbs. Before I had a 2020 f250 6.2 gas. same hill struggling to do 40 to 50mph.

Jeep Gladiator Another towing thread....sorry... 25 F250 & TRAILER  (1)


Jeep Gladiator Another towing thread....sorry... 25 F250 & TRAILER  (2)


Jeep Gladiator Another towing thread....sorry... 25 F250 & TRAILER  (7)


Jeep Gladiator Another towing thread....sorry... JEEP ON TRAILER (12)
 
OP
OP
tom.mary.glad

tom.mary.glad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Threads
33
Messages
224
Reaction score
203
Location
Arlington, TX
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 3.6L, automatic with max tow
Nah sometimes after a stressful run when the oil is thin it will do that the next morning just let it warm up before ya drop into gear.
Thanks for this feedback. I did AI chat and same info came back...it is likely a one time startup noise, recommend monitoring to see if ticking becomes repetitive on startup. I don't drive much so have not restarted yet. Fingers crossed.
 

Sandman 4x4

Well-Known Member
First Name
Kevin
Joined
Jul 23, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
747
Reaction score
631
Location
Kissimmee, Florida
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired. Beach bum.
If you don't tow or not interested, no need to read.

I'm not an experienced tower so be gentle.

I have the following:
  • 2021 Sport with max tow (7650 lb tow capacity when stock)
  • V6 gasser
  • 3.5" lift
  • 37" tires
  • regeared to 4.88
  • light setup - just a few skid plates, factory steel bumpers, winch, AL trifold tonneau cover. Not a overlander setup. I did have a jack, heavy toolbag, Thor's lighting air compressor, cordless tools, and some moving dollies in the bed. Plus me and my wife with small luggage.
I just towed a 6 x 12 enclosed U-Haul trailer with furniture in it from St Louis to Dallas. It got up to 101 F outside. My WeighSafe hitch said I had about 200 lbs of tongue weight. U-Haul says the trailer weighs 1920 lbs empty. Engine coolant, oil and transmission temperatures were all good. Max trans temp of 201 F, max coolant about 225 F I think, max engine oil about 233 F.

I honestly don't know how any of y'all tow anything bigger or heavier than this. I could not maintain above 60 mph on the hills in southern MO. I did use manual shift mode and stay mostly in 6th and sometimes 7. Downshifting to 5th on the hills. I couldn't get rpms above 4500. It seemed like the little V6 just couln't put out any more power. And accelerating onto the highway it didn't want to shift from 3rd to 4th, then 4th to 5th. It was screaming upto 5000 rpms.

Did I do something wrong? Or is the pentastar just that weak? I doubt I'll ever tow again after this experience but I'm open to any feedback the experience towers have.

Thanks
I don’t think you have done much wrong, but the worst is the 37” tires, that I’m sure if using the original wheels adds at least 20 lbs each, that take power to spin up to speed, more than 4:88 will provide. Spending all that $$$$ for re-gearing you should have use 5:88 or so. Manual shifting does help from trans hunting, but the computer is just doing what it needs. I suggest you drive on a Cat Scale as you will be traveling just to see what your curb weight with one adult and full tank weighs. With the extras you have I bet you’ll be at least up to 5,500, where my stock everything Sport S is just under 4,960 with my wife and I. Jeep give your Gladiator a CGVWR of 12,300 or so, that’s allowed for everything under your control. Truck, all gear and passengers, weight distribution hitch, trailer ready to go. Full tank of gas. DOD you keep the original tires? If so it’s highly recommended you get a second set of alloy wheels and stock sized 245/75-17 HT tires, not LT but P rated is all you’ll need. Good luck.
Sponsored

 
 







Top