Another winch in a plastic bumper.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Nice job taking your time with cutting the bumper cover. If someone didn’t know any better, they’d think it came like that from the factory. 👍
Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
This thread is making want to attempt this!!

Sponsored

AverageJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Engineering consultant
I believe I will try this. Will the plastic air dam still fit beneath the bumper after the new installation is complete?

OP
OP
Mav4x4Chris

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I believe I will try this. Will the plastic air dam still fit beneath the bumper after the new installation is complete?
It's a vague memory now and I'm not at home to look at all of my build photos - but I believe the plastic air dam attached to the metal frame inside the plastic bumper, and I cut out the entire center section of that metal frame - so I'm thinking it would need to be a custom job in order to re-install the OEM air dam.

My plan (eventually) was to order the silver Mojave skid plate and mounts, and install that as it was designed for this situation - it attaches only to the lower crash bar / crossmember - not the bumper.

Yona

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jt high alt
only the bolts to the frame mounts and furthest outboard push pins will attach

AverageJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering consultant
Well, I've ordered all of the pieces and parts. And I have a friend's stock bumper to play with. It looks to me like the center section of the steel channel and the interior plastic piece will have to be removed. Maybe the lower flange of the interior plastic piece could remain so that I could still attach it to the outer plastic piece at the bottom edge. Then the top of the outer plastic section can be carved to fit around the winch. Is that correct?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mav4x4Chris

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Well, I've ordered all of the pieces and parts. And I have a friend's stock bumper to play with. It looks to me like the center section of the steel channel and the interior plastic piece will have to be removed. Maybe the lower flange of the interior plastic piece could remain so that I could still attach it to the outer plastic piece at the bottom edge. Then the top of the outer plastic section can be carved to fit around the winch. Is that correct?
Yea, I cut out the entire center section of the steel channel and of the internal plastic - you may be able to retain some portion of the bottom of it. I may get ahold of another front bumper and do mine again at some point because I want to trim the plastic closer to my winch. I went way bigger than I needed to on mine.

AverageJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering consultant
Thanks so much, guys, for the insight into this. If it's ok, I may be bugging you when my stuff arrives. :jk:

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Cleanest plastic bumper install I've seen!

Attention to detail was clearly a priority! Well done!

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I left almost all the plastic filler between the plastic bumper and the 1/4" steel plate I installed between frame ends, then used square strut washers stacked as spacers . Mav4x4Chris using two cheap fairleads has me thinking that is the best way, and I have a Warn short drum one that came with my winch, but too many other projects! Still very happy with this way to set a winch on front, I used an LOD winch plate.. It's pretty neat to see how creative this bunch is!...Jack

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mav4x4Chris

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Cleanest plastic bumper install I've seen!

Attention to detail was clearly a priority! Well done!
Thanks. My day job is building new emergency vehicles, so I try to apply the same detail to my truck. This bumper could use some improvements - but I've built a hell of a lot of fire trucks to the one plastic bumper so far :LOL:
Sponsored