Sponsored

Anyone running Clayton 2.5" or 3.5" Overland Plus with Aftermarket Front Differential Covers?

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I am getting my lift installed shortly as well as a regear. I was thinking of putting a little more protection on the front diff but then realized there is a risk of the front trackbar interfering with may interfere with an aftermarket differential cover.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Metalcloak front cover and skid combo. Anyone running the Clayton lift with this or any other aftermarket diff cover? Can you comment on clearances?
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting my lift installed shortly as well as a regear. I was thinking of putting a little more protection on the front diff but then realized there is a risk of the front trackbar interfering with may interfere with an aftermarket differential cover.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Metalcloak front cover and skid combo. Anyone running the Clayton lift with this or any other aftermarket diff cover? Can you comment on clearances?
The trackbar does not run in front of the diff. Its above it. It would be the Tie Rod if anything was going to interfere.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The trackbar does not run in front of the diff. Its above it. It would be the Tie Rod if anything was going to interfere.
Right - I understand the positioning. however, the trackbar has a major curve in it to avoid rubbing/interference with the front differential when the suspension is flexed and it is a known issue for aftermarket diff covers to rub on stock trackbars (if I recall correctly poison spider on JLs). I guess in theory you could hit your tie rod but it would really have to be sticking out!

So again just wondering if anyone is running aftermarket diff covers with their Clayton suspension and if this has show to be an issue or if it has sufficient clearance for most/all diff covers.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Right - I understand the positioning. however, the trackbar has a major curve in it to avoid rubbing/interference with the front differential when the suspension is flexed and it is a known issue for aftermarket diff covers to rub on stock trackbars (if I recall correctly poison spider on JLs). I guess in theory you could hit your tie rod but it would really have to be sticking out!

So again just wondering if anyone is running aftermarket diff covers with their Clayton suspension and if this has show to be an issue or if it has sufficient clearance for most/all diff covers.
Hmmm well I guess that makes sense, I don’t have an after market diff cover yet, but based on the clearance I have seen I don’t foresee it ever being an issue.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
With my 2 inch mopar lift I started making contact with my Yeti XD front track bar when we installed the ARB front diff cover. The dipstick neck on the ARB made contact. A thinner track bar probably wouldn’t touch.

We ended up trading out the ARB for a motobilt cover when we put on the clayton lift this week. Now we dont have any contact and the yeti has enough room finally. It was probably too much trackbar for a 2 inch lift (but just right for 37’s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With my 2 inch mopar lift I started making contact with my Yeti XD front track bar when we installed the ARB front diff cover. The dipstick neck on the ARB made contact. A thinner track bar probably wouldn’t touch.

We ended up trading out the ARB for a motobilt cover when we put on the clayton lift this week. Now we dont have any contact and the yeti has enough room finally. It was probably too much trackbar for a 2 inch lift (but just right for 37’s)
Thanks for the share!

I did end up getting a metal cloak front diff/skid setup but haven’t installed it yet. My Clayton kit is running late on delivery but should have it all installed in 2-3 weeks now. Cheers!

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
Arb covers front and rear no problems
Sponsored