Sponsored

Anyone take advantage of the wild resale values?

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Interestingly, I was thinking about trading in my 2020 Overland (built July 2019) in on a 2021 Overland. Got the lease payoff price (had to add the sales tax onto that for total payoff.

Total payoff was $39,5xx. When I got my Gladiator, it was $50,500 out the door and I put down $10K. The dealer offered me $42,000 trade on my Gladiator. Basically what I paid, not what it's actually worth, that people are claiming they are getting on trade. I didn't see it...
I think the key phrase there is "the dealer". People are receiving the higher quotes from Carvana, Vroom, etc. because these used-car online outlets are successfully (as I mention in a post above) driving out dealers from the used-car market. It's not always a slam dunk profit, but the higher quotes seemed to have come from an online-sourced service like Carvana.
Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I turned in my lease early and upgraded to a Mojave. The dealer offered 6,000 over my remaining lease and residual. I had leased the Sport S before they announced the Mojave and that is the exact build I would want, so this change is saving me money in the long run.

OP
OP
f33d

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I think the key phrase there is "the dealer". People are receiving the higher quotes from Carvana, Vroom, etc. because these used-car online outlets are successfully (as I mention in a post above) driving out dealers from the used-car market. It's not always a slam dunk profit, but the higher quotes seemed to have come from an online-sourced service like Carvana.
Yes and no. I’ve bought about 5 cars in the past two years and every time I mentioned my higher vroom or carmax offer local dealers always matched. YMMV and area prob takes a role in this.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm not sure my daughter would let me trade in my Gladiator. We name all our cars and pretend to give them personalities, and when you're 5 years old, that kind of makes them like family members. She'd be furious with me if I sold Willy.
5 year old's can be bribed pretty easily with something else.

IrishRob

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Just gave it a try here in PHX on a 2020 Overland, 9300mi, well optioned. Carvana offered $45K against a KBB range of $51-54K. So ... not working out everywhere on every model.

Sponsored

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
Just gave it a try here in PHX on a 2020 Overland, 9300mi, well optioned. Carvana offered $45K against a KBB range of $51-54K. So ... not working out everywhere on every model.
I too am in PHX and to your point, my 57k Ecodiesel Gladiator with 3,000mi came in at 42k from carvana... Something tells me they are not accounting for the diesel.

My Wifes 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi came in solid as $23,500, which is a healthy offer.

OP
OP
f33d

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Keep an eye on the market. It can be super weird. One month dealers offered me 38k on my 1500 a month later it was 50k. Timing is everything.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Following up on my other post and then seeing this, I do kinda feel bad about the employees at these dealerships. I don't know about your regions, but in SoCal/OC, the new car lots are ghost towns. The existing dealerships are trying to keep their lights on by basically bartering through the used car market. Turning a modest profit on a used car is better than no profit at all.

And btw, that's why you see these huge mark-ups on existing new vehicles in the showroom because they don't know when they'll receive new product/replacements.

Used cars are really the only "supply" right now and the market has been (temporarily) inflated because of that.
I was there today picking up my truck after they finished fixing the sunvisor. They had 5 JT on the lot. Didn't see many other Jeep Models not even the Compass, Jeepsters, etc. There were quite a number of 1500's and cars available. I didn't scan the whole lots but this dealership has two lots for cars and trucks and one of them was maybe a quarter full. I was talking to one of the reps there and he said they getting in shipments every now and then but are hampered by the Chips.

Interestingly enough they never bothered to go look at my truck as it was there all day. Guess they didn't want it that bad. Ok by me as Love my truck and am just a few things shy of being done with what I planned on doing. But I would have entertained their offer if it put me in a newer truck with no hit to me. Would have just had to pull off and put back on the stock parts

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
My toes are in the water to trade for a diesel that is nearly identical to my current gas Gladiator. I do not have a feeling on how this will go yet, but if I end up with an oil burner, I’ll update the thread.

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
I want to do this and priced out a loaded diesel rubicon. My issue is that I sold my aftermarket stuff so I’d need a little bit of a leap of faith. I’d need to order the new one, then swap all my parts over with my current, then sell my current one with rubicon takeoffs. This plan would certainly stress out my very financially conservative and conscientious wife. Plus side is I paid $5k under MSRP for my loaded overland and I now have 8k miles on it so there’s still some good value there.

MSRP was $55k, I paid $50k and Vroom offer was $48k. Good obviously, but not good enough to make me jump at paying the $56k for a 2022
Rah.....I did this when I moved from my JLUR to my Mojave. I took two weeks and moved everything and sold the JLUR in 2 weeks. I wouldn't stress about it.

Semper

Sponsored

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Carmax doesn’t give me an offer. It says something like “your car is rare so please make an appointment for an appraisal.”
I was curious, so I went on Carmax's site, and I received the same response. I had some time to kill, so I dropped by and let them give me a quote. My JTR is a '20 (mostly loaded) model V6 auto that I bought new @ 6 months ago. I rolled 5K miles today. Sticker was $53K. I paid $48K. They offered me $55K. Just can't bring myself to do it. Love this thing too much. But if the 392 Gladiator ever drops, I'll definitely look at trading.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I think I’m going to. I can make about 8k trading in my Gladiator. I’m going to look at a 2022 Ram tomorrow. The crazy resale plus needing a little tax write off this year is probably going to make me jump.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
The market is very tempting now.

I’ve been wanting to flip my 2020 F150 cause I know I can make some money on it.

Checked the auction price on the Gladiator the other day and I can sell for over window price and I paid $3k under that, out the door.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
If I had another vehicle to drive it could sweeten the pot. The next issue is all my mods and no OEM stuff to replace with. I’d need to post one of those “your OEM parts plus cash” firesales to try to save some stuff. Aside from wheels and tires, the rest of the stuff is “cheap” it’s the suspension I’d really want.
Sponsored