Sponsored

Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?!

Reignkinge

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys sport
Occupation
Teacher
So I am considering trying to get 40’s under my 22 Willys.
Some light reading and researching tells me that pretty much requires Dana 60 ultimates, fender swap and a lift kit.

lifts are pricey but achievable. Fenders are a bit simpler (if still a lot of money) but how in the world can people afford to buy Dana ult 60’s?

just about everything I found said that thy were about 20000 for a pair.
And that doesn’t even include whatever else you have to do after that.

is there a secret way that people manage this kind of mod other than just have fantastic money?

is it better to find them in a scrap yard or something ?
Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Some pay cash, some use plastic and some finance them. It’s wild to think someone would spend that kind of coin on axles but then again I’ve got other expensive hobbies.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Typically it's financed, or saved for then bought. They're definitely not cheap but if you are really doing the kind of off roading that needs 40s and tons then this is a serious hobby and it's cheaper than a good SxS for example.

If you just want the look of 40s and don't plan on going crazy, truss and gusset the front and back and regear for about 2500 total with labor.
If you want to do a bit more for offroading add rcvs and chromoly shafts with some iron knuckles for about another 2-2.5k. Truss and regear will get you a daily that will do moderate off roading no issues. Axle shafts and iron knuckles will get you to most difficult trails as long as you are responsible with the skinny pedal.

OP
OP
Reignkinge

Reignkinge

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys sport
Occupation
Teacher
Thank you! That’s a good bit of info !

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Start a youtube channel, but only if you have a hot girl too🤣 but the axels may be cheaper lol
…and…and…and you’ll mysteriously find Nitto trail Grapplers in stock somewhere or receive a Jeep warming gift from Nitto if you have enough YT subscribers like @SelfmodJT said…

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
PayPal Credit for big ticket items. 0% interest for 6-12 months eases the pain. :)

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Dana 60 are like $18k -22k and they will last
4x40is Bajas or 39s BFGs are also $2800 and they are a running cost

Sponsored

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
Some pay cash, some use plastic and some finance them. It’s wild to think someone would spend that kind of coin on axles but then again I’ve got other expensive hobbies.
the 6k dollar mountain bike i want agrees with 'ive got other expensive hobbies'

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Cheaper ways to get 1-tons but they require a lot of work.

I'm in the same boat, savings up now for the upgrade, but I would consider them long term investments. I'm keeping my stock axles and when the Jeep eventually gets sold I'll keep my 1-tons. Then again I traded a '93 f-150 for the gladiator so it might be a while.

With well build superduty axles and the right sensors, they could be swapped into something else, I could build a buggy around the axles, or they could be sold for 80-90% of what I have in them if they are build right.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Everything is expensive these days. You just need to find a way to make more money to afford the life(style) you want to live :)

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
1] It is cheaper than crack
2] I'm poor. The bank owns my Gladiator. It is my daily driver. My TJ is my offroad weapon of choice [If I ever finish it]
3] You do not HAVE to go 1 tons, you could use the stocks until they break. everyone's driving style is different......
4] Some people have adapted superduty axles out of the junkyard with welded truss assemblies. then regeared and added lockers.
Sponsored