First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
So I was backing into the driveway and the jeep started making a grindy sound while in reverse, I stopped and looked around thinking I backed over a kid on a bike or hoverboard and noticed the jeep had gone into auto park. It wouldn't let me do anything, so I pushed the stop start button and shut it down. Then I see the dashboard message scroll down to the do not shut off engine page and here I am. Anyone know the sequence to get this thing started again or shifted into park? Waiting on tow now...
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Were you backing with your seatbelt off and door open? That can cause it I believe. Should be able to close the door put on seat belt and put it in gear.

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure about undoing my seatbelt and opening the door while backing up..... I don't know why it shifted into the auto park, I just know that turning it off was not the right thing to do.....
Secondly, I'm questioning the whole jeep cares thing... I've been waiting for a tow truck since 1 pm .... Now I've called AAA and may the best man win

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If the door isn't completely latched or it THINKS it isn't, it will auto park. With my wife's, she has to put it in park, then in gear again, not shutting it off.

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Well the AAA guy beat out the "Jeep cares" tow guy and off to a closed dealership with a dead battery and stuck in autopark it went. If I still had to wait for jeep cares I wouldn't get towed until tomorrow or until I contacted them for the THIRD time. The tow truck guy is still waiting on the email with the info ..... SMH....
Jeep Cares is getting an earful if I can ever get ahold of someone.

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
bottom line is you did not have the seatbelt on and the door shut so it tried to protect you by putting it in park. i think its a stupid feature and would actually disable it if I could.
so what happened when you put it in park, shut the door and buckled your seatbelt and tried to start it?

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I'll never no, like I said I shut it off, then noticed the message on the screen saying do not shut off. It would not start, the button says is running when it isn't, the transmission is still locked in auto park, the battery is now dead, the jeep thinks it's been on since 1pm, AAA showed up before the warranty tow service thru jeep cares, I'm on my second bevvie in the spa, dealership has it now.....

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
Auto Park should be explained to every new owner. Happened to me at the mailbox on Day 1, and I was stuck in the street until google helped me figure out what the hell it was. There was enough cabin pressure to prevent my door from COMPLETELY shutting (I thought it was shut) and I didn't put my seatbelt on because I was 50 feet from my house. There I was stuck in the street! Now I know...Door Shut Completely if seatbelt is off. Funny in hindsight...?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Auto Park should be explained to every new owner. Happened to me at the mailbox on Day 1, and I was stuck in the street until google helped me figure out what the hell it was. There was enough cabin pressure to prevent my door from COMPLETELY shutting (I thought it was shut) and I didn't put my seatbelt on because I was 50 feet from my house. There I was stuck in the street! Now I know...Door Shut Completely if seatbelt is off. Funny in hindsight...?
It's happened 3 times now to my wife. She parks outside the back door after backing down the driveway. She unloads groceries, or if she's been to a quilt retreat or something, brings in all her stuff, then goes back out to back her Grand Cherokee into the garage. She pulls the door closed - mostly, puts it in R, it moves backward a little bit then stops suddenly. I yell out to her - CLOSE YOUR DOOR, put it in park, then in reverse again.
"Oh, ok, I keep forgetting that......., I thought the door was closed - why did it move at all?"
Because IT thought your door was closed, too - until you hit the garage floor (which is proud of the approach by about an inch for rain water control) and it jounces the door just enough to stop the Jeep. Happens in the same exact place every time!

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
It's happened 3 times now to my wife. She parks outside the back door after backing down the driveway. She unloads groceries, or if she's been to a quilt retreat or something, brings in all her stuff, then goes back out to back her Grand Cherokee into the garage. She pulls the door closed - mostly, puts it in R, it moves backward a little bit then stops suddenly. I yell out to her - CLOSE YOUR DOOR, put it in park, then in reverse again.
"Oh, ok, I keep forgetting that......., I thought the door was closed - why did it move at all?"
Because IT thought your door was closed, too - until you hit the garage floor (which is proud of the approach by about an inch for rain water control) and it jounces the door just enough to stop the Jeep. Happens in the same exact place every time!
Another annoying thing is the Park Sense. I have to turn it off to get in/out of my garage, to it stops me. There is plenty of room, but it doesn't seem to think so...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Update. Talked to service manager today, he said the battery was completely drained and they were charging/testing now. He stated that it's possible I've fallen victim to the dead/drained/defective secondary battery issue, said that they've had a string of gladiators come in, and if the computer system isn't getting full voltage, it can throw codes and put the jeep into limp mode and lock everything up. Will post further updates as received.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update. Talked to service manager today, he said the battery was completely drained and they were charging/testing now. He stated that it's possible I've fallen victim to the dead/drained/defective secondary battery issue, said that they've had a string of gladiators come in, and if the computer system isn't getting full voltage, it can throw codes and put the jeep into limp mode and lock everything up. Will post further updates as received.
Not just Gladiators. The dealership told me they'd had a number of battery failures when we had them work on my wife's 2018 WK2 - they replaced both batteries under warranty.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
If you leave your "off road" doors on, you will never encounter this problem. Ha Ha. Hope you get this all resolved in a time expedient manor. Groceries? In a gladiator? Hmmm.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Another annoying thing is the Park Sense. I have to turn it off to get in/out of my garage, to it stops me. There is plenty of room, but it doesn't seem to think so...
My park sense won't stop me, it'll just beep more and more. Do you also have adaptive cruise control?

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
Auto park is both a blessing and a curse. When I road rage and jump out of the car to show how bad ass I am, the car automatically parks when in drive! It saves me a solid two seconds of fiddling around with putting the truck in park whilst raging.

Conversely, when I get back in to the car I always have a hard time speeding off in the afterglow of my outburst since I have to go through the "process". It is tedious, but really saves time on the front end!
Sponsored