First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I bought mine on 3-25 and the ESS has not yet worked. I really don't care but if something is wrong I want it fixed. I could put it on a trickle charger.
Just be sure it’s an AGM (absorbant glass mat) capable charger.
Sponsored

Oasis Supernova

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Mine only does it when I plug my doors back in, and not every time. Some of my electrical pins got bent one time when plugging in my doors. Detached the wiring harness by both front seats so I could realign the pins and make it easier to plug in. Never came back. Thats the only thing I can think off that I had go wrong. Check those if both your batteries are good.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
Will putting a charger on the main battery also charge the ESS battery? I have a AGM trickle charger I bought when I got my Odessy battery.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The 14.5-14.7v gets applied directly to the batteries, I wonder what would prevent the batteries from charging?
Yeah, you're right, I didn't THINK............ and I had the wiring diagrams right in front of me, duh.

I've done more research.
I've found 3 tech sites that say AGM batteries can act similar to how certain rechargeable batteries of the past acted - like phone batteries, and certain other household rechargeables - they can take a "set" or "memory" and if not charged above 60% every time they get to a point they won't charge above 60%.
Gee, that sounds a lot like mine if I think about the voltages I've been measuring on my batteries - the voltage matches what some charts say is a SoC of 60%
Don't hold me to it yet - still doing research in among 100 other things............ but..........
On mine, the threshold for the ESS working or not working seems to be about or around 12.4 volts.
Now isn't that interesting - the GR8 test instructions say for AGM batteries make sure they are at 12.4 volts before testing, otherwise charge them until they are. Like Violet Crawley might say - "how odd".

I'm still experimenting on mine a bit - and found that one maintainer I have that says it's for AGM (with a rating of 800mA) never exceeded 12.7 volts while charging it overnight but they did get up to 12.7 volts, and didn't take too long to drop back down.
I put a different 1.5 amp tender on it and it charged clean up to 15 volts and when I shut it down, the batteries were at 12.8 volts (where they should be)

Jeep Gladiator Auto Stop/Start Stopped working. maggie-how-odd

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Will putting a charger on the main battery also charge the ESS battery? I have a AGM trickle charger I bought when I got my Odessy battery.
Yes, when at rest both batteries are connected in parallel.

Instructions I've found say to always charge through the IBS - in other words, negative charger clip not on the terminal but on the post on top of the IBS.

Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Done with it
What is the IBS and where is it,,, I am new.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is the IBS and where is it,,, I am new.
This is the IBS - the thing the cables are connected to. It is clamped to the negative battery post.
It's a shunt inside that black block with a bunch of electronics inside that monitor the battery state, temperature, charge and discharge rates and more and tracks that info, keeps a history and communicates with the PCM over a network of sorts.

Jeep Gladiator Auto Stop/Start Stopped working. JT-neg-bat-post

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Mine is a '22, born on date 2/14. Have 1,700 miles on it. Today had to take a short trip of 15 miles. Temp was 25F. voltage was 12.9 before starting on the Off Road page. After starting, voltage went to 13.4. For the OK, engine temp had to get to 195F, oil temp to 200F before I got the OK. Voltage was bouncing around. That was after about 5 miles of driving. Voltage settled down to 13.4 until I slowed down about 4 miles later, then started to bounce around again. Anywhere from 11.7 to 14.7. Stop at a stop sign, engine shut off and voltage was 11.7. Took some pressure off the brake pedal, and engine restarted. I was still stopped. It was still saying OK. Turned the steering wheel and it said Not ready. Played around a bit more. Things that stuck out so far. Water temp, oil temp, steering wheel and brake pedal pressure. Voltage really didn't make a difference. It was anywhere from 11.7 to 14.7.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Well it did it again. After a clean bill of health from the dealership saying they tested my batteries to be good and no excessive draw from my stepsliders or anything else, the truck would not start just one week after the dealer visit and battery fully charged. I shall be going back and insisting on both batteries being replaced. :mad::mad::mad: WTF over?

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Done with it
I charged mine with a trickle charger but still no ESS. While driving voltage shows low 12s to high 13s. So do I have to do the dance with the dealer,, it's all good,, then it's not and they replace the batteries.

Sponsored

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Third trip to the dealer over my battery dying twice as well as the start/stop not ready with no reason as to why not ready and now they finally replaced both the main battery and the auxiliary battery. Let’s see if this fixes my battery issues. Oh, for what it’s worth, a new bulletin came out this week saying there is a new problem identied with the media port (usb hub) on the forward console that may be draining the battery completely. No known fix as of yet. Stay tuned.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd LOVE to see that TSB about the USB battery drain.....where did you see or find that? It's not online that I can find.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I picked up an AGM tender. Had the batteries out and thought I’d charge them up fully on their own, then install them and top up the batteries together which took 2 extra days before the tender stopped blinking and went solid green. I then unhooked the cables and unplugged the intelligent BS and checked what the charge of the batteries did every 12 hours. Below is what I found:
April 4th. Fully charged and unplugged. No parasitic draw from the truck.
Aux 12.85
Main 12.89

12 hours later:
Aux 12.61. = -.24
Main 12.73 = -.16

12 hours later:
Aux 12.55 = -.06
Main 12.70 = -.03

12 hours later:
Aux 12.50 = -.05
Main 12.67 = -.03

12 hours later:
Aux 12.48 = -.02
Main 12.67

12 hours later:
Aux 12.45 = -.03
Main 12.67

12 hours later:
Aux 12.41 = -.04
Main 12.66 = -.01

12 hours later:
Aux 12.38 = -.03
Main 12.65 = -.01

12 hours later:
Aux 12.33 = -.05
Main 12.64 = -.01

12 hours later:
Aux 12.32 = -.01
Main 12.64

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
The service rep checking me in showed me the TSB on his screen and said it just came out. No prescribed fix as of yet. They claimed they checked my media port and it was not indicating itself to be causing any drain. Side note, my service rep initially told me that both batteries checked out normal after an overnight test. Interesting that they replaced them anyway and noted them bad on my invoice summary. Perhaps for warranty purposes?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The service rep checking me in showed me the TSB on his screen and said it just came out. No prescribed fix as of yet. They claimed they checked my media port and it was not indicating itself to be causing any drain. Side note, my service rep initially told me that both batteries checked out normal after an overnight test. Interesting that they replaced them anyway and noted them bad on my invoice summary. Perhaps for warranty purposes?
OK, I was just wondering if I had missed something, and was wondering about the exact text and so on.
Here's the kicker on your battery thing - Jeep and others are extremely tight on battery warranty. There's a specific test that they must perform "by the book" and the results included with the warranty papers (at least that's how I read some of the info I found?!?)
It's a GR8 test device and procedure. The battery to be tested needs to be at 12.4 volts and it's a load test. I've found nothing about over-night so I wonder what they are doing?
Maybe they did a full over-night charge process then tested them because the test is not long.
Anyway, from what I've seen, they need to print the GF8 results for warranty reimbursement. Maybe one of the real techs here can confirm or say "no way" to that.

I guess in a way, with what we are seeing, experiencing, and your results and experiences, we're finding that Jeep and the shops are in the "we have no real clue" area right now and punting.
Sponsored