First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
That could be an interesting call.. unless you have done mods that included any electrical. Then if they include the factory installed auxiliary switches, they are there to be used. Will be curious to hear what they say.. good luck. Cheers!
I got my Jeep back today and they were trying to charge me 388 for labor due to my winch and aux switches. They said it interfered, but I showed them that itā€™s only connected to the existing battery terminals. Service advisor agreed and wrote it off. They changed both batteries.
Sponsored

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
I just purchased a Optima YELLOWTOPĀ® DH6 for my main battery and a DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA for my aux battery. I can't really afford justifying doing the Dual Battery set up.
Total cost for those 2 batteries was about $450. I haven't had any issues yet with my batteries but I have over 36,000 miles on my JTR and go Overlanding/tow all the time so I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking now that I am over my warranty miles and ride/tow hard that my luck will run out lol. I am just worried about installing the aux battery. Don't want to damage the fuse box.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Just replaced my aux battery only after getting a constant issue with ā€œchargingā€. Iā€™ll do the IBS reset and see if that works.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I took mine in last month because it was always displaying the ESS not available/battery charging message. I did this despite pressing the button every time I drive to disable it. I told them I thought the ESS battery was failing, and I had a long trip coming up, and I didn't want to be stuck somewherere. They removed it, charged it, and load tested it, and it failed. They replaced it, and I haven't had further problems (yet). It did have to be driven a short distance to charge again after the replacement before the ESS went active.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
2 days after changing out the AUX battery, and unplugging all 12v power, still getting a "battery charging". We'll see if time changes things. Temperature is 90 in the afternoon, 60s in the morning.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
2 days after changing out the AUX battery, and unplugging all 12v power, still getting a "battery charging". We'll see if time changes things. Temperature is 90 in the afternoon, 60s in the morning.
Your main battery is also failing. I had the same thing happen. Replaced the aux battery and still had the charging message. Subsequently replaced the main battery and ESS was available almost immediately.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Your main battery is also failing. I had the same thing happen. Replaced the aux battery and still had the charging message. Subsequently replaced the main battery and ESS was available almost immediately.
Odd. It still holds at 12.6-12.7volts. Maybe it's an issue of load.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Odd. It still holds at 12.6-12.7volts. Maybe it's an issue of load.
Exactly. When I had the issue with mine I used my load tester (cheapo analog version from Harbor Freight) and it was at the low end of acceptable under load but totally fine when measuring voltage with no load.

There is a chance your battery sensor is bad but the batteries themselves have been an issue on these trucks.

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
This. I had the same happen where I received that message only to find out later while camping that it was running down my main. It fortunately didnā€™t drain it entirely, just enough to it wouldnā€™t start but carrying a jump starter saved me. The dealer replaced both batteries as a warranty without question. Literally when I went to the dealer the service tech was all, ā€œoh, another one, itā€™s coveredā€ without any testing.

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
This. I had the same happen where I received that message only to find out later while camping that it was running down my main. It fortunately didnā€™t drain it entirely, just enough to it wouldnā€™t start but carrying a jump starter saved me. The dealer replaced both batteries as a warranty without question. Literally when I went to the dealer the service tech was all, ā€œoh, another one, itā€™s coveredā€ without any testing.
Iā€™m convinced Jeep is using me as some sort of sociological experiment, to see if they can botch every service and dodge all warranty service, just to gauge what they can get away with.

I visited the dealer so many times for the ESS charging issue, with them acknowledging the failure, but saying it ā€œpassed all diagnosticsā€.

@JeepCares has yet to explain to me why ā€œis it working?ā€ Isnā€™t among their diagnostic tests.

It seems to me like it really could be the ONLY diagnostic test any technician has ever, or will ever, requireā€¦

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Renegade - how long did your dealer keep you JT? I called mine about this last week and they told me they'd need my truck for 2 days to perform the diagnostics! WTF?

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Update-- replaced main battery too. Still getting the same message.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There is a chance your battery sensor is bad but the batteries themselves have been an issue on these trucks.
Not just these trucks, but with Grand Cherokees as well........ according to our dealer shop.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Renegade - how long did your dealer keep you JT? I called mine about this last week and they told me they'd need my truck for 2 days to perform the diagnostics! WTF?
I dropped it off on a Monday morning, but they didnā€™t diagnose it until afternoon. Put in the new battery Tuesday morning, and it was ready in the afternoon.
Sponsored