Sponsored

Auxiliary switch group? What do you do with it?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
So one of the first thing I'm going to do when I get my truck is to add a dash cam. I'm thinking about getting the blackvue and also have it record while parked. What's the difference between Switched and Constant Hot Line? If I wanted the dash cam to record videos in parking mode, does it need to be wired to Switched HOT Line?
You're going to have to check your manual to see how they want it. They're all different in some ways.
Some like mine have a setting to activate if shocked (Hit). I should be good switched
Some have a sensor to activate if motion comes near. This may need to be hot, I don't know.
MOST of these newer ones use a Capacitor instead of a battery for backup, so if it's not getting juice, it'll be pretty limited in capacity.
Mine has a shock sensor that'll activate and short record if something hits it. (in theory).
IF you wire HOT, I don't know how it'd know to shut off. Continuous recording could be a battery drain.
I don't want to get sent somewhere for work to come back and be DOA.
Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
You're going to have to check your manual to see how they want it. They're all different in some ways.
Some like mine have a setting to activate if shocked (Hit). I should be good switched
Some have a sensor to activate if motion comes near. This may need to be hot, I don't know.
MOST of these newer ones use a Capacitor instead of a battery for backup, so if it's not getting juice, it'll be pretty limited in capacity.
Mine has a shock sensor that'll activate and short record if something hits it. (in theory).
IF you wire HOT, I don't know how it'd know to shut off. Continuous recording could be a battery drain.
I don't want to get sent somewhere for work to come back and be DOA.
Thanks for the info. That was also my concern I don't want a dead battery either. What dash cam do you have?

akdare

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman
The current draw on a dash cam is pretty minimal; I wouldn’t worry about battery drain.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
New to Jeeps - so need to ask a simple question: why would you get the auxiliary switch group and what would you do with it? What are some of the things you would hook up to this? Trying to understand if I should spend the money because I will need it later or if it is extraneous. Thanks for looking!
Ummm ... to easily hook up cool shit...

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I would not recommend it. While two of the circuits are rated at 30 amps, a good amp install should have properly sized power and ground wiring. Save the switches for things you really need to switch on and off.
Actually two of the switch circuits are 40 amp and two are 15 amp.

I am using one for a light bar up front, one to activate a dual ARB compressor in a tool box in the bed, two for power outlets in the bed. One will be a refrigerator and the other will probably be lights and USB charging etc. in the bed. These switches are a must add if you are planning any addition equipment.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually two of the switch circuits are 40 amp and two are 15 amp.

I am using one for a light bar up front, one to activate a dual ARB compressor in a tool box in the bed, two for power outlets in the bed. One will be a refrigerator and the other will probably be lights and USB charging etc. in the bed. These switches are a must add if you are planning any addition equipment.
Yes, typo, 40 not 30. Still, a good amp install should have dedicated power and ground. Save the switches for things you will want to turn on and off.

SoGlad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I didn't get the Rubicon so I have two switches reserved for lockers if I ever need them. I'll just use the switch to a solenoid and use the soleniod to power the locker. So far, I have not encountered any situation where I need the lockers.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Having lines pre-run to both in cab and the engine compartment, ya worth it.
The ability to program those switches on screen on/off or momentary; reset with each start or memory, ya worth it.

I'm not using all (yet):
Switched HOT line in cab: DashCam
Constant HOT line in engine compartment: power for bumper lights (on/off controlled with the OEM fogs)
Aux 1: Lightbar
Aux 2:
Aux 3:
DOT lights
Aux 4:

Can u elaborate on how you’re using the fog switch?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Can u elaborate on how you’re using the fog switch?
Sure,
For the lights I added to the front bumper:
upload_2019-9-24_15-29-40.png

I purchased (out of laziness) two of these:
upload_2019-9-24_15-32-13.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZPX32N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I used the wire loom as follows:
POS IN: the HOT Wire in the Aux Loom
NEG IN: the ground next to the fuse box
Switch: I tapped one into each of the factory fogs (you'll see why I did it this way in a minute)
OUT as follows:
upload_2019-9-24_15-29-5.png

Doing it this way the bumper lights and OEM fogs all run off the OEM fog switch.
Why use 2 looms, you ask?
TAZER LIGHT SHOW!
upload_2019-9-24_15-48-17.png

upload_2019-9-24_15-49-1.png

:like:

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, typo, 40 not 30. Still, a good amp install should have dedicated power and ground. Save the switches for things you will want to turn on and off.
Agreed, the compressor requires a dedicated high amp power supply (max draw is 68 amps) and a lower amp power to activate it, hence the aux switch.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Checking with Genesis, but I plan to use one of the higher amp switches in the momentary mode to toggle the battery parallel switch mounted on the battery bracket. Waiting on their call back to let me know if this will work...... Oh, still waiting on my JTR to be delivered..

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Having lines pre-run to both in cab and the engine compartment, ya worth it.
The ability to program those switches on screen on/off or momentary; reset with each start or memory, ya worth it.

I'm not using all (yet):
Switched HOT line in cab: DashCam
Constant HOT line in engine compartment: power for bumper lights (on/off controlled with the OEM fogs)
Aux 1: Lightbar
Aux 2:
Aux 3:
DOT lights
Aux 4:

I was considering the idea of two separate dashcams for front and rear as opposed to a 2 channel camera system.

Hypothetically, could I wire two separate Dash Cameras to the single CONSTANT HOT wire in the cab?[/QUOTE]

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I was considering the idea of two separate dashcams for front and rear as opposed to a 2 channel camera system.

Hypothetically, could I wire two separate Dash Cameras to the single CONSTANT HOT wire in the cab?
Dayum, that must be a ROUGH neighborhood... :LOL:
ya, they are such low draw, no problem. :like:
Sponsored