First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
That's what you do when you FUBAR the rear driveshaft and pull it (turns it into FWD) but with it still attached, that noise was probably all the tension in the transfer case.
The strap at the joint in the rear - right after the missing weights - was bent.
I figured if I could get to pavement I could call for a tow if needed. I had my 6 year old with me, so I needed to get him home. It was worth a slow ride rather than another hour on the side of the highway.
Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Warranty coverage? None of the damage was caused by a defect in materials or workmanship. To pretend otherwise makes costs go up for all. Just like the insurance scheme. If I break it, I own it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Just like the insurance scheme. If I break it, I own it.
If your insurance covers this type of thing, then you're already paying for it. Sure, your premium will go up if you file a claim though. As long as you don't lie to the insurance company, and tell them what happened, it's not a scheme (unless you lie and tell them something happened somewhere or somehow it didn't). Some policies will cover it, some won't. I don't know if mine covers it or not, but I might give them a call to find out. I don't see anything on any documents that says they don't. I always assumed they didn't though. It's certainly worth the question.
It also might be worth getting a specific off road insurance for some.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
See my thread on checking your insurance. In KY none of the big carriers would commit to saying they would cover any damage done "off roading". My carrier covers damage while on a "public road" so county roads that look like that should be covered. Different states have different rules for what automobile insurance does or does not cover. A young man I met was driving down what USED to be a county road when the "road" washed out from under him and his 4Runner went almost into a creek. Insurance would not cover it (based on talks I can recall with the man's father who was the policy holder
Wow that's crazy. I remember the Progressive rep asking me where it happened and I told her a Jeep trail by Mt. Withington and she came back and asked if it had a name and I said "Jeep trail by Mt. Withington?" I had check mailed to me that afternoon. I guess this is one positive thing about living in New Mexico.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
If your insurance covers this type of thing, then you're already paying for it. Sure, your premium will go up if you file a claim though. As long as you don't lie to the insurance company, and tell them what happened, it's not a scheme (unless you lie and tell them something happened somewhere or somehow it didn't). Some policies will cover it, some won't. I don't know if mine covers it or not, but I might give them a call to find out. I don't see anything on any documents that says they don't. I always assumed they didn't though. It's certainly worth the question.
It also might be worth getting a specific off road insurance for some.
Your premium will more than likely not go up for one claim. It usually take at least 3 claims or more for that to happen.
Warranty coverage? None of the damage was caused by a defect in materials or workmanship. To pretend otherwise makes costs go up for all. Just like the insurance scheme. If I break it, I own it.
Filing a claim isn't a scheme...it's why we have insurance. OP filing a claim will not raise your premium.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
The strap at the joint in the rear - right after the missing weights - was bent.
I figured if I could get to pavement I could call for a tow if needed. I had my 6 year old with me, so I needed to get him home. It was worth a slow ride rather than another hour on the side of the highway.
Are you referring to the carrier bearing mount? In the future if that’s badly damaged I’d recommend pulling the shaft. If that comes off then the shaft is likely going to separate and hit the road, and the carnage from a shaft dropping to the road at speed isn’t pretty.

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
See my thread on checking your insurance. In KY none of the big carriers would commit to saying they would cover any damage done "off roading". My carrier covers damage while on a "public road" so county roads that look like that should be covered. Different states have different rules for what automobile insurance does or does not cover. A young man I met was driving down what USED to be a county road when the "road" washed out from under him and his 4Runner went almost into a creek. Insurance would not cover it (based on talks I can recall with the man's father who was the policy holder
I don't know if KY Farm Bureau is considered a big carrier, but they would cover something like this for me. I had an incident while hunting way off the grid and they covered it for me. Could be my policy though.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If you bent the carrier bearing bracket you hit it hard enough that your driveshaft will likely never be right again. There are reputable shops out there that can fix it but it sounds like an opportunity to upgrade to something with 1350 joints for longevity and durability.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Find a good tech and the dealer might take care of you. My guy goes by the commercials. Were you doing something they do in a Jeep commercial and it's a factory part - you're covered. Did you pretend it was a hellcat and did smoky burnout until something broke...probably not covered. More or less that's how he's handled things. He's a straight forward guy and I appreciate how reasonable he is.
As a fellow Minnesotan Jeeper... may I ask what dealer you work with?

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Fix the driveshaft and it's components. Mac's good used shaft is a deal! Not sure what your other issues in that area are. Call a shop that does driveshaft work and simply ask what they get to check and balance a shaft and go from there.
Yes, insurance covers all sorts of things. I have found they key words to be 'sudden and unexpected'. I sat on the beach with an agent friend of mine over the Forth of July and watched a fairly new Dodge Ram sit there on the sand and get hood deep when the tide came in.
He said, 'yup we would cover that', 'we cover stupidity'. (Not saying that yours was; poop happens.)
This is why we pay what we pay for insurance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eventyr_JT

Eventyr_JT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
My question is not about warranty coverage. I know it was a dumb rookie mistake. My question was should I take it to the dealer to keep within warranty for the future or go to a shop and possibly void my warranty? It’s a brand new ‘21 still a lot of miles to go.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My question is not about warranty coverage. I know it was a dumb rookie mistake. My question was should I take it to the dealer to keep within warranty for the future or go to a shop and possibly void my warranty? It’s a brand new ‘21 still a lot of miles to go.
Your warranty won't be voided if you get it fixed somewhere else. That's against the law. You can get it fixed wherever you'd like.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I don't know if KY Farm Bureau is considered a big carrier, but they would cover something like this for me. I had an incident while hunting way off the grid and they covered it for me. Could be my policy though.
That's good to hear. Yes KY Farm Bureau I would consider a big one here. I know that when I sent descriptions/pics of the county roads I would be going on to Geico, State Farm, and Progressive only Geico said it was fine. The other 2 said only if I had to go on those roads if they were part of my commute to/from home. One even said damage while on your own property was not covered (ie as you leave your driveway). Geico wrote to me that if it was gov property intended for vehicular traffic it should be covered. I even sent them photos of other people on the "roads" i was going to be on. See some od my pics.

One friend had damage happen on a part that was technically not a road and his insurance company didnt cover it.

Then again, if you have a good relationship with your insurance agent they can make things work.

YMMV

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Wow that's crazy. I remember the Progressive rep asking me where it happened and I told her a Jeep trail by Mt. Withington and she came back and asked if it had a name and I said "Jeep trail by Mt. Withington?" I had check mailed to me that afternoon. I guess this is one positive thing about living in New Mexico.
And that is the thing: different states have different requirements for what HAS to be covered. KY mandates having $10k in personal injury protection and glass covered. In states with more active off-roading tourism, the legislature may require auto insurance carriers to cover events at trails and parks. Hence, check your coverage
Sponsored