Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer will not do one. New engine will come to them they will put the new engine in transfer some old parts to new one to make it complete. Send the old engine back to Jeep for the core charge credit. No root cause analysis. Not what the mechanics get paid for and they only get paid to fix things not to find out why it happened. Jeep might tear it down to find out but odds are it will just be stripped and rebuilt and out the door again when the next one blows up
You should try for an extended warranty, when the oil pump went on my son's Toyota truck they extended the warranty on the engine to 100000 miles with no time limit

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Query - why is everyone so concerned about a machined hole that they obviously saw a reason for in the design, but no one can figure it out?

I know now I need to go out to my shop, uncover a bunch of engines, blocks and heads I have out there and get some photos and post and see if the members can figure out some of those areas.

This hole shown is obviously not hurting any engines, so why such a mystery?

IS there oil leaking out of that hole?
Is there wear or marking as if something was bolted there but is now missing?
Is there coolant seeping out?
Did the block crack there?
It's the hole where the piston escaped...;)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Yup - especially since there's a threaded hole to secure it into the other machined hole. They heat the block these days rather than tap into the cooling system to heat the coolant.
Good call.
I'll never use it then, S.E. TX doesn't get that cold.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll never use it then, S.E. TX doesn't get that cold.
Yeah, that warm gulf air, eh?
Yet the guy who bought one of my cars last fall talked of snow and ice - NW Texas, can't recall the town.
Texas, it's a whole other country! (and bigger than many countries)

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Yeah, that warm gulf air, eh?
Yet the guy who bought one of my cars last fall talked of snow and ice - NW Texas, can't recall the town.
Texas, it's a whole other country! (and bigger than many countries)
The interstate that runs through my city is over 880 miles long and that's never leaving the state.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Yup - especially since there's a threaded hole to secure it into the other machined hole. They heat the block these days rather than tap into the cooling system to heat the coolant.
Good call.
Interesting.. That was a good find

Sponsored

MoparMadness

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Being warranty, the factory will want this engine back for review. They will determine the cause but you will not be provided this information. Its likely one of several things: manufacturing defect, assembly error, foreign object damage, or the result of improper service. I have seen weird things like engines filled with citrus cleaner instead of oil, done in error when serviced. Storage barrels looked the same and it destructed engines of two customers, but this was many years ago. This would explain why this dealer had two failures in a short time but not likely!

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
If we had 89 here, I'd use that just because. But it's either 87 or 91 IF you can find it, or 93 at Walmart (of all places)
My silverado had several extra HP and more torque when I used E85 - pulled my trailer a whole lot better but these things aren't rated for that much ethanol.
Bummer as the Chevy I could FEEL the difference when towing on our hills.
At the refinery level, we make low and high octane based on the regulations of the region that we are shipping the gasoline to. California gas blend has much tighter vapor pressure and cetane specs. In the PNW it is 87 and 93 octane. The 89 is a blend of the 2 at the gas station. They only have high and low octane tanks as well. What we make at the refinery is slightly below the required octane because the 10% ethanol that is added boosts the octane rating.

We also have winter and summer gasoline with different vapor pressure requirements. In winter time, we put more butane in the gas because we can. That is part of why it is cheaper in winter. High octane gas usually has only 3 ingredients at the refinery level. Low octane can be as many as 8 components.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At the refinery level, we make low and high octane based on the regulations of the region that we are shipping the gasoline to. California gas blend has much tighter vapor pressure and cetane specs. In the PNW it is 87 and 93 octane. The 89 is a blend of the 2 at the gas station. They only have high and low octane tanks as well. What we make at the refinery is slightly below the required octane because the 10% ethanol that is added boosts the octane rating.

We also have winter and summer gasoline with different vapor pressure requirements. In winter time, we put more butane in the gas because we can. That is part of why it is cheaper in winter. High octane gas usually has only 3 ingredients at the refinery level. Low octane can be as many as 8 components.
We have no 89 here - at least I've not seen it.
it's 87 with ethanol and 87 without ethanol, (almost all stations have these two choices, often these are the ONLY two choices!!)
91 (called premium at some stations) with, or without ethanol, varies with stations
or 93 (called premium at the other stations) with or without ethanol, varies with stations

A station will have 87 only
or will have 87 and 91,
or will have 87 and 93.

Walmart and certain others have the 93 which I needed to run with my 70 Javelin, even 91 at most stations was iffy.

I am lucky my 73 will run on the lower octanes, I prefer to run 91 in it but can't always find it.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I remember, back in the day, pulling in to the local Sunoco station and being able to select the octane rating by twisting a knob on the pump - selecting anything between 87 octane and 110 octane! Back before they removed the lead...

My '64 Dodge 330 with the 383 Interceptor engine loved that high octane stuff!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I remember, back in the day, pulling in to the local Sunoco station and being able to select the octane rating by twisting a knob on the pump - selecting anything between 87 octane and 110 octane! Back before they removed the lead...

My '64 Dodge 330 with the 383 Interceptor engine loved that high octane stuff!
....before the early 1970s when compression ratios were lowered, HP numbers lowered, etc.
Sponsored