First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Importer Exporter
Anyone else do this? Suggestions? Tried drilling it out but it's a tough son of a bitch. Not making much headway and YouTube is not much help.
Sponsored

Javejim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Slacker
Sorry for the multiple pics…got button happy😃

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
just a little wiggle back and forth, unscrew, retighten, repeat, backing it out a little at a time. No big bites, that's how it will get rebound.

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
If your trying to clean the threads out from bedliner spray. Use a soldering gun put the tip inside of the hole to heat up the bedliner and the tap will run right through it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sort of curious - those holes were THAT packed and that much force was required/used to break a tap?
Mine cleaned right up - but I have a habit of turn the tap in, back it out, turn the tap in, back it out (which is how I was taught in machine shop classes). This way stuff gets cleaned out of the tap flutes and threads and makes things go a lot smoother. Even tapping holes in metal I never home run a tap (or a die).

Anyway, those extractors would work, depending on which hole, isn't the back side accessible on the side holes? Can a person turn the tap through from the back?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I'm sort of curious - those holes were THAT packed and that much force was required/used to break a tap?
Mine cleaned right up - but I have a habit of turn the tap in, back it out, turn the tap in, back it out (which is how I was taught in machine shop classes). This way stuff gets cleaned out of the tap flutes and threads and makes things go a lot smoother. Even tapping holes in metal I never home run a tap (or a die).
I was taught ½-turn in, then ¼-turn out. That way, you won't jam up the tap (or die.)

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was taught ½-turn in, then ¼-turn out. That way, you won't jam up the tap (or die.)

Kevin
That's probably a better way to put it - yes. Sounds right.

Sponsored

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist

Anyway, those extractors would work, depending on which hole, isn't the back side accessible on the side holes? Can a person turn the tap through from the back?
When I was doing mine the threads were really filled in. I had a hard time even getting the tap to start. I put the soldering iron in there to heat it up and it pulled some of the overspray out when I pulled the soldering iron back out.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Taps are hardened carbon steel. Drilling one with a normal drill bit that one has in their home tool box is going to be a bitch.

If it is just jammed because of liner overload you can try using a soldering iron, place the tip against the broken tap and let it heat up, then using needle nose pliers in the flutes, see if you can back it out.

If it's worst case scenario and you cross threaded the tap, you're going to have to drill and use an EZout.

Good luck.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Half turn in half turn out.....do the hokey pokey and shake it all about. :CWL:
But those extractors look cool. I've used a badass chisel and broken them out before. But it kinda fks the threads.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
If you want to try to drill you'll want a carbide drill bit and it's still nearly impossible, the progress is painfully slow and difficult to keep centered. Try to find a left-handed drill bit. If you drill it and don't stay center and oversized the hole you still might be able to save it with a bigger hole and a rivnut. Try some of the suggestions from the guys above, those extractors look interesting. If you can get a awl or small punch to grab a flute sometimes you can tap it out a fraction at a time. If everything fails call some machine shops and ask if they have a portable metal disintegrator or portable EDM. Some of those guys are really creative and talented they might even be able to weld a bolt to it and back it out. You said YouTube wasn't much help, try a search for broken ez outs, that might give you some ideas. Good luck!

Last edited:

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
One more thing if you attempt to drill with a carbide drill. The carbide part is usually just the tip and they are brittle. Not a problem most of the time, but with something like a tap where it's fluted the drill cutting (carbide) edge rotates passed the flute part and hits hits the tap part and the shock snaps off the tip. Buy several.
Sponsored