Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Soo here is the final update on this install. It’s uninstalled.
Both fans have seized up. And the filter housing is not sealing well. So the pros of the system are you can use a cheaper filter. You have access to oil for cooling” need more volume” but it did help. And the cons are have to remove for warranty work it’s another point of failure it’s not cost effective and it’s too low of a volume for any significant amount of cooling. It did indeed help keep the temps down however I didn’t derate before the install either. I think there are better options at this point. It did however keep the oil cleaner looking longer, which is what the system is supposed to do in the first place. So it worked as advertised. The fact my derale cooler fans shit out in 6 months or less makes me mad. If the system was installed in a dryer location they may have lasted longer but that too is an issue for us as we have very little space for that kind of stuff.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Both fans have seized up. And the filter housing is not sealing well. So the pros of the system are you can use a cheaper filter. You have access to oil for cooling” need more volume” but it did help. And the cons are have to remove for warranty work it’s another point of failure it’s not cost effective and it’s too low of a volume for any significant amount of cooling. It did indeed help keep the temps down however I didn’t derate before the install either. I think there are better options at this point. It did however keep the oil cleaner looking longer, which is what the system is supposed to do in the first place. So it worked as advertised. The fact my derale cooler fans shit out in 6 months or less makes me mad. If the system was installed in a dryer location they may have lasted longer but that too is an issue for us as we have very little space for that kind of stuff.
A better solution is to put a plate, in and out then run your filter and cooler with fans. That way its full flow filter and cooling?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Eventually I’ll just buy a pan and build a closed loop system. Just haven’t had time

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
This is aftermarket for you! I would want to size my cooler large enough to do "some" work without the fans and then fans cover me only when climbing hill while towing or if the temps were like 120°+.

I appreciate your willingness to try this, but I suspected that it would be "The" solution.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
That wont shed any BTU's we need some seriously active cooling.
6 feet of cooling tube (3x2) would offer quite a bit of heat sink to pull btu's out of the oil. Pair that with the existing heat exchanger, it might offer enough relief to keep the oil from spiking. Tap a feed into the 2 ports off the oil filter housing, now it's a simple setup, with limited fragile bits, and it's out of the way.

If i am to do this, i want a simple system that is out of the way, doesn't involve electronics that can fail like the fan above, or shake apart or get punctured like radiator system from a stray rock kicked up by a tire.

I haven't had any derate issues since paying attention to what I am doing. But it would be nice to have a backup plan.

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Obviously I gave up on this truck and traded it in, however I got an email yesterday that insane diesel is now selling the kit I built and installed in this thread.. kinda… they are using the bungs on the cooler rather then the filter bypass. I would not recommend this for two reasons
1: my cooler fans shit the bed in less then 6 months “ same exact cooler I used”
And 2: I’d be concerned about starving the engine for oil…

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Obviously I gave up on this truck and traded it in, however I got an email yesterday that insane diesel is now selling the kit I built and installed in this thread.. kinda… they are using the bungs on the cooler rather then the filter bypass. I would not recommend this for two reasons
1: my cooler fans shit the bed in less then 6 months “ same exact cooler I used”
And 2: I’d be concerned about starving the engine for oil…
Did you get another gladiator? If so, what engine?

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Went with a f150 3.5 eco boost.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Went with a f150 3.5 eco boost.
Well, good luck with your new truck! When the downsides of gladiator ownership outweigh the upsides, I will probably go F-150 too. That’s what I had before I bought the gladiator, and my local Ford dealership is top notch.

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
I got well over kbb. And with all the issues I was having with the gladiator it made practical sense to make the trade. I really loved the gladiator it was fun to drive great in bad weather and fit my needs for the most part. But as you said sometimes the cons outweigh the pros… if I added up all the time I spend at the jeep service department based on my wages I’d have lost a couple thousand dollars just in my time alone. I also was without my truck for roughly a month to 6 weeks over the course of the first year. Not including the time it would have had to go back for the current issues it was having. I was also at 97% payload when we went camping. Still under but a extra gallon of milk would have made me over weight lol
Our 4xe is now our top off doors off fun in the sun vehicle. My f150 is our get me to work, tow the camper, grocery getter, it’s also got 4x4 and a e locker with crawl mode ?? So given the fact there is not shit for trails around my area or most of ny for that matter I thinks it’ll be just fine for our needs haha.
Sponsored