First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
My issue with the auto stop is that previous to owning this Gladiator whenever my engine shut off at a stop sign it was time to get out and push! I had several of those cars and trucks in my teens, haha. Now when my Jeep shuts off my heart sinks momentarily until I recognize that I forgot to push the button. With it disabled I no longer have that moment of surprise.
Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
My issue with the auto stop is that previous to owning this Gladiator whenever my engine shut off at a stop sign it was time to get out and push! I had several of those cars and trucks in my teens, haha. Now when my Jeep shuts off my heart sinks momentarily until I recognize that I forgot to push the button. With it disabled I no longer have that moment of surprise.
Good on ya for finding a solution to your problem. go with what works.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
My wife likes to turn everything off while I tend to leave things where they are. Is there an advantage of one way over the other? Why?
The way these trucks are computerized, they never really shut off. Turning it off just puts everything to sleep (turns off engine and user interface). The advantage to leaving everything on is that it is right where you left it the next time you get in and start it. The only thing I do is turn off the recirc so the fresh air vent is open.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
My wife likes to turn everything off while I tend to leave things where they are. Is there an advantage of one way over the other? Why?
I learned to drive partly by watching pop. When I asked him why, he said it reduced the starting loads on the engine and electrical system. I learned to repair USAF electronics in the vacuum tube era.(ARC27/34) Kind of like keying the transmitter before applying input power. Zap crackle and pop. My Benelli bike with FI computerized go module needs a wake up moment before the start button is pressed and the manual cautions against not letting the system go through its paces. Transient surges can cause the computer to not think right. So it is an old habit based on seemingly valid logic from 50+ years ago bolstered by Italian quirkery and training applied to 21st century vehicles. If it feels right...

Sponsored

ArkansasPig

First Name
Daddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport 6MT - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Digital Marketing
It took all of 5 minutes to unhook the plunger under the hood. Problem solved...for free.

That ess cuts out the a/c and is Just plain dangerous in my opinion.

For me, the main problem was when I was just coming to a stop and needed to immediately take off again. I drive the manual transmission version.

If you need to take off quickly while just coming to a stop, you need to pop the clutch pedal in and out pretty fast. Thatā€™s the problem though! The truck will shut off just as youā€™re coming to a stop and you have to hold the clutch in for about a second to restart it.

Quite often, the Jeep wouldnā€˜t restart for me because I didnā€™t hold the clutch in long enough. Meanwhile, Iā€™m in first gear and giving it gas but itā€™s still shut off! Oh crap! Let me mash the clutch BACK IN and HOLD IT for a FULL second. Then release it and take off....finally.
That hippy switch just cost me 3 to 4 seconds.

When youā€™re trying to merge into traffic and expect to be moving in less than half a second and then have to wait 3 to 4 seconds, bad things can happen.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Mine is permanently shut off and I had forgotten how much I dislike it until I drove the wifeā€™s Cayenne the other day. Down right dangerous in my opinion.

SoCalGlad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Race Driving Instructor +
I installed my Tazer & thats the absolute first thing I did...

I also saw something on a youtube video saying that if you unplug the connector for the hood sensor it will disable the autostart/stop.. Dont know if thats true or not.
This might be the video you saw and as soon as I bought JT I removed the ESS.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Too much talk.. plus disabled your remote start...just not a real workaround.. true butcher hack...

Sponsored

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
Too much talk.. plus disabled your remote start...just not a real workaround.. true butcher hack...
I pulled the hood switch last night and tested things today. I do get the error light after running the truck up to speed, but my remote start still works just fine, so for me the hood switch trick works great!

REDJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 JK
Just ordered. Thanks.
They ship priority mail and I got mine in a couple of days. It works great and installation was only a couple of minutes.

While looking over some older posts regarding Jeep's ESS system - and way's to defeat it, I read some people back in 2018 paid over $130 to buy the eliminator for their JL.

The hood switch hack was discussed back then as well, but according to the follow-up posts, not many people want their new vehicle's EVIC constantly throwing up a warning code.

Now, with the discount code the bypass comes in around $89!

Since I saved over a $1,000 by upgrading my 7.0 radio group with new speakers and adding a subwoofer and amp, $90 bucks is well within my budget. For me, the eliminator/bypass is a welcome addition so I don't have an amber error code lighting up every time I drive. No way I could stand having an error code constantly displayed on the dash - but to each their own.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I painted some white-out on the switch (so I can find it instantly in that bank of switches) and am learning to hit it after hitting the start button.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I always left foot brake, so the delay is quite noticeable. I ordered the Tazer last week on the third day of having a Gladiator. My buddy with a new RAM 1500 got rid of a near new Chevy Equinox because there was no AutoStart disable button! He's tickled his RAM has one.

I've never had an issue with it. The starter engages when I take my foot off the brake and the motor is running by the time I step on the throttle. I suppose that if I perceived a problem I'd hit the button.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I wish it worked that way. Every key cycle resets it to ā€œonā€.
I drove the Macan to Arkansas and back this past weekend. Dozens of key cycles and I never had to shut the stop/start off. It stayed disabled the entire weekend. In order to engage it work I needed to actually push the stop/start button on the console (red light indicator illuminated). Key cycles would however turn off the sport exhaust and lane departure warning. I had to push those every key cycle to turn the sport exhaust on and lane departure warning off.
Sponsored