Car And Driver - Gladiator vs Colorado vs Ranger vs Ridgeline

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I've watched and read a few of these now. I'm a Jeep loyalist. I'm embarrassed for the people trying to compare Jeeps to these other trucks. It's like the person who say diet soda tastes good. I'll take my JT on the rocks, please, and happily. Won't buy another brand. Who gives a shit what the payload rating is? Will it carry it or not? My 2c is I drive Jeep happy and all others are just conveyances.
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I've watched and read a few of these now. I'm a Jeep loyalist. I'm embarrassed for the people trying to compare Jeeps to these other trucks. It's like the person who say diet soda tastes good. I'll take my JT on the rocks, please, and happily. Won't buy another brand. Who gives a shit what the payload rating is? Will it carry it or not? My 2c is I drive Jeep happy and all others are just conveyances.
Right on!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Who gives a shit what the payload rating is? Will it carry it or not? My 2c is I drive Jeep happy and all others are just conveyances.
LOL, thought you wrote "Plywood rating".

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
LOL, thought you wrote "Plywood rating".
You are correct! Plywood rating is way more important than somebody using some BS to convince me a minivan wot?!?!?! I'm watching this velocoraptor or whatever look like a moth at a Firefly convention, and the wonk mf is like "we agreed that pile of crap moth is better than a Firefly because it is more aerodynamic". Lmao. A moth is no firefly!!! Drive Jeep!! Plywood out.

giphy-downsized-large (1).gif

Sponsored

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I guess that’s why most of us are here.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
You are correct! Plywood rating is way more important than somebody using some BS to convince me a minivan wot?!?!?! I'm watching this velocoraptor or whatever look like a moth at a Firefly convention, and the wonk mf is like "we agreed that pile of crap moth is better than a Firefly because it is more aerodynamic". Lmao. A moth is no firefly!!! Drive Jeep!! Plywood out.

giphy-downsized-large (1).gif
Awesome video....

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
The wheel base is long for 2 reasons.

1 - largest backseat in the segment
(I assume you meant back seat leg/seat space)

Back seat space is the same as in the JLU and the Gladiator. The JT wheelbase is over 18" longer than the JLU, so obviously those 18" did not go towards back seat space. The explanation must be somewhere else.

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Who gives a shit what the payload rating is?
Apparently Jeep does, as that is what they are using to market and advertise the vehicle. It is the first thing you see on the Gladiator site - the payload.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Apparently Jeep does, as that is what they are using to market and advertise the vehicle. It is the first thing you see on the Gladiator site - the payload.
Okay, and when tested advert is proven false?

Sponsored

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Okay, and when tested advert is proven false?
Of course not. Jeep/FCA can hire enough lawyers to word it correctly "up to xxx lbs paylod".

But it is misleading. ALL of the other trucks tested had Ëś1,500 lbs payload.

The Jeep had under 1,000.

Clear as a bright summer day.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Of course not. Jeep/FCA can hire enough lawyers to word it correctly "up to xxx lbs paylod".

Clear bright days are for raptors, tacos, and avalanches. I see the problem. They should have taken the doors and roof off to increase payload...

a-willys-jeep-loaded-up-as-they-were-on-d-day-CTEK7A.jpg

c4faa22c396d4854fa979233ea306158.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am

:CWL: apparently you've never been in the market for a full size truck. They'll line up a 2wd poverty spec payload/towing ringer that nobody wants to buy. That doesn't stop them from advertising the crap out of it!!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

Back seat space is the same as in the JLU and the Gladiator. The JT wheelbase is over 18" longer than the JLU, so obviously those 18" did not go towards back seat space. The explanation must be somewhere else.
Of course the JT’s wheel base is longer than the JL. That is obvious. I thought the question was why is the JT’s wheel base longer than the rest of the mid size truck segment. In that case I still maintain my answer about the larger back seat is correct.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco

I looked at a "new" Ford Ranger yesterday when picking up my F150 for service. The back seat is an absolute joke in that thing, it would fit my 3 dogs that weigh 15lbs ea. perfectly but not much else. Not even my 8yo daughter would be comfortable back there for more than a few minutes. Our JKU's have significantly more space than the Ranger did and my understanding is that the JLU's have even more.
Sponsored