Sponsored

Clunk on downshifting

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
Throw another stock Max Tow on the pile with the rough downshift but personally, I think it's just an aggressive programming. I wouldn't say it's actually a clunk, just a bit of a light jerk on the 4-3 while braking.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
You guys need some perspective. I traded in a 2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain with the 3.6l/8 speed auto. Fantastic truck, except the total POS 8 speed auto. GM finally figured out how to fix them and the 19+ are better, but the 17s and some of the 18s are awful. The roughest, clunkiest POS transmission I ever had. Not to mention the torque converter shudder issues the 17s and 18s had. They finally figured out the problem and have a new fluid and programming, but I just couldnā€™t deal with mine anymore. I love GM trucks, but thatā€™s why I didnā€™t buy a 2020 and got this instead. Plus, Iā€™ve had three previous Jeeps and have a weakness for them...

The ZF 8 speed also had some teething issues when it was new, but that was years ago and itā€™s a damn good transmission now.

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
You guys need some perspective. I traded in a 2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain with the 3.6l/8 speed auto. Fantastic truck, except the total POS 8 speed auto. GM finally figured out how to fix them and the 19+ are better, but the 17s and some of the 18s are awful. The roughest, clunkiest POS transmission I ever had. Not to mention the torque converter shudder issues the 17s and 18s had. They finally figured out the problem and have a new fluid and programming, but I just couldnā€™t deal with mine anymore. I love GM trucks, but thatā€™s why I didnā€™t buy a 2020 and got this instead. Plus, Iā€™ve had three previous Jeeps and have a weakness for them...

The ZF 8 speed also had some teething issues when it was new, but that was years ago and itā€™s a damn good transmission now.
I disagree, I believe your perspective would change if you had a new truck that was exhibiting issues that seem to indicate the start of future transmission/drivetrain issues. I work for a municipality and we have everything brand wise new and old heavy and light duty. So I do have a good idea on the general health of a vehicle and what is normal. We are just trying to figure out the issue with our trucks and possible solutions for something that is not normal for a brand new vehicle. If you are not going positively contribute to the discussion topic go explore the other sections of the forum and not bother posting.

OP
OP

Crmaverick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Throw another stock Max Tow on the pile with the rough downshift but personally, I think it's just an aggressive programming. I wouldn't say it's actually a clunk, just a bit of a light jerk on the 4-3 while braking.
Right yeah not exactly a clunk, but an aggressive down shift. So you hear the drivetrain slack or gear lash.

Like you know in a manual if you donā€™t shift smoothly or RPM match and you can hear the gear lash or driveline slack?

Thatā€™s the sound Iā€™m describing I should say the transmission isnā€™t making a clunk, but the aggressive downshift causes that driveline noise. You can hear the noise in any wrangler with a manual if you donā€™t shift smoothly

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree, I believe your perspective would change if you had a new truck that was exhibiting issues that seem to indicate the start of future transmission/drivetrain issues. I work for a municipality and we have everything brand wise new and old heavy and light duty. So I do have a good idea on the general health of a vehicle and what is normal. We are just trying to figure out the issue with our trucks and possible solutions for something that is not normal for a brand new vehicle. If you are not going positively contribute to the discussion topic go explore the other sections of the forum and not bother posting.
im glad someone who is articulate responded...i held back because i had a slightly less logical reaction to his comment.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Wow. Don't be so sensitive. I told you I had to same issue, actually considerably worse on a brand new truck, so I understand your frustration. I did positively contribute. The ZF 8 speed is a fantastic transmission. Arguably the best available. They'll figure it out. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. Interesting that it seems to be more confined to the Max Tow models, so that alone should make it easier for them to diagnose and come out with an update. Audi and BMW were some of the first manufactures to use the ZF 8 speed and they had tons of problems with them. They went through several different fluids and updated transmission tuning. It couldn't be much better now. Its butter smooth, even in my JT, without the max tow package.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Yes that is the exact thing I have also along with the clunk from park to reverse. I've taken it to one dealership with no fix I will take it to second dealership in the near future. I would take it to the dealership and hopefully yours will be easy to diagnose.
My guess is that itā€™s the tranny programming. It only does it in certain conditions, usually if youā€™re coming to a slow stop. You can replicate this same sound in a manual transmission, depending on how you downshift. Does anyone else notice this?
While I wouldn't call it a clunk, I notice the transmission will down shift much harder when decelerating quicker than usual. There were a few times when I had to quickly slow and each time it did the same thing.
Hi everyone,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would certainly like to offer you our support if you choose to have this concern diagnosed by your dealer. Please reach out to us privately if you have any additional questions, or would like to move forward in resolving this with your dealer.
Kathryn
JeepCares

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
Same issue, rubi with tow pkg. Havenā€™t went to a dealer over it but I will be giving them a call to annotate the issue.

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
Have the same exact issue. Mine can get pretty harsh depending on the day. Very frustrating and can make stopping difficult. I've also noticed when coasting in a high gear at low speed then getting back on the gas it will clunk or "slap" like a manual. Stock Rubicon, 6,500 miles.

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Yep. Rubi with Tow package. Very mild, but concerning.

Sponsored

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT
Anyone ever get this fixed or see any improvement? Or just learn to live with it? Mine does this, its also a max tow. Just curious what people ended up doing.

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone ever get this fixed or see any improvement? Or just learn to live with it? Mine does this, its also a max tow. Just curious what people ended up doing.
I filed a lemon case with a lawyer, FCA ended up buying it back. Surrendered the vehicle two weeks ago.... so I guess itā€™s fixed....

JWGladiator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2020 BMW X7; 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mojave with tow package here. Have the same issue and have just started the analysis process with the dealership. First round went to them as they couldn't replicate the issue and there weren't any codes. They reset the trans learning and told me to drive it some more and "if it breaks it's under warranty and we'll fix it".

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT
Mojave with tow package here. Have the same issue and have just started the analysis process with the dealership. First round went to them as they couldn't replicate the issue and there weren't any codes. They reset the trans learning and told me to drive it some more and "if it breaks it's under warranty and we'll fix it".
Thats what i expect if i bring it up, it isnt consistent enough for the dealer to care.
Sponsored