Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I'm not sure of all the details yet, but my bank still shows the loan as "pending". So for now, I'm driving their loaner Ram around, which I'm not crazy about. Oddly enough, the recall is dated the 3rd, but dealer said nothing came up when he pulled them on Saturday (3/7/20). Maybe they only identified Wranglers until just now? He says he expects it won't be more than a week, but not sure if he's just blowing smoke.
If the dealer says that, it means he is waiting on parts from FCA...... ugh...
Sponsored

fantabulum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Wrangler; 2020 Gladiator
Replacing a clutch and pressure plate is pretty easy. A few hours maybe... The real question is -- "Do they have the new, improved Pressure Plate ? If it is a manufacturing defect, then, the answer is probably - "yes".
Yeah, the second one. I didn't mean how long to actually do the work, but how long to "figure it out".

upload_2020-3-10_16-40-48.png

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
The Aisin is being recalled but dealers do not have a fix yet. I assume this applies to ALL manuals, and Jeep has put a stop sale on all 6 speeds for the time being.
Good information. This "impacts" my JLR so it will be interesting to see how dealerships deal with it. I suspect a new pressure plate design is coming.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I am always nervous about cast/nodular manual clutches and flywheels because my feet are discontinued. Many aftermarket units are no better. From racing, I learned to use SFI approved stuff and a scattershield that also is SFI approved.

Sponsored

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
If those that want to continue driving the time bomb you could always get a ballistic blanket and wrap around the bell housing

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
If those that want to continue driving the time bomb you could always get a ballistic blanket and wrap around the bell housing
I'm having a hard time believing it just lets go unpromptedly. Maybe it does. But it says in the recall notice you can get a smoking clutch or weird pedal play. Until that happens to mine I'm going to keep driving it. I don't expect it to suddenly explode on me. And if it does it's going to be hauled straight to the dealer.

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
Just checked my VIN...my jeep is affected too. The Canadian site shows that there is a recall...but there is no info regarding what it entails. Makes me a bit nervous knowing that the clutch could explode through the casing.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
So...11K miles on mine, and she's fine. I'll get the free parts when they come out, but not concerned with the current ones coming up to meet me in the cab.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Updated post with more info:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:
In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-1-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-2-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-3-png.png

Original post:

The Aisin is being recalled but dealers do not have a fix yet. I assume this applies to ALL manuals, and Jeep has put a stop sale on all 6 speeds for the time being. I checked mine this morning and sure enough, risk of fire or basically a bell housing "explosion" when the clutch plate shrapnel goes flying through. To check your VIN go here https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

This was the recall info posted when I looked up my VIN. I assume this applies to the JL/JLU as well since its the same transmission. Maybe Jeep will swap us out with a halfway decent manual now and junk the Aisin D478....especially with the Bronco about to roll out with a 7 speed. It never made any sense that our tow rating was so drastically affected from the auto, maybe the speculation about a weak clutch was correct.

Untitled.png
Other than this recall and the low tow rating, what fault is there with the Aisin trans?

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
So...11K miles on mine, and she's fine. I'll get the free parts when they come out, but not concerned with the current ones coming up to meet me in the cab.
Exactly. A lot of concern over a very low chance of something going wrong before Jeep replaces the defective part (kinda like COVID-19...you may get it, but it is unlikely to kill you).

My 2016 Audi A5 had a recall because the after-run fan was faulty. In some circumstances, this meant that my car (and the however-many Audis with the 2.0T engine out there) could spontaneously combust. The recall was two parts; first come in and they will disconnect the offending after-run fan. Then continue to drive it (though Audi recommended parking in outside) until they were able to source a new part. Took a few months, if I recall correctly and I never heard of one catching fire before the part was replaced.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Now would be a good time to check over your insurance policy.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
So my Jeep went in for it's first Jeep Wave service today and the transmission did come up obviously. I talked to the tech seemed like she was very aware of the recall and what parts were affected. She told me that the tranny bell housing was very hot when they pulled it in so I asked her what she would recommend to help keep it from blowing up before the parts to fix it are available. She said to just be as gentle as I could be with accelerating from a stop and to double clutch. There have been very few if any other JTs sold in state with a manual so her level of awareness and willingness to share info I thought was a good sign.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
I'd like to know what the mileage was on those vehicles that did explode. Since the recall affects 2018 - 2020 Wranglers it seems to me we Gladiator owners have about 2 years before we should worry too much.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'd like to know what the mileage...
Same. I have to imagine it is toward the end of the clutch's life, and happens when it slips at higher RPM. i don't see taking off getting it hot enough to grenade, I'm thinking of driving into the wind in 5th gear at 70mph....
Sponsored