Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 JLUR
Updated post with more info:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:
In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-1-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-2-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-3-png.png

Original post:

EDIT: The pressure plate in the Aisin D478 is being recalled but dealers do not have a fix yet. I assume this applies to ALL manuals, and Jeep has put a stop sale on all 6 speeds for the time being. I checked mine this morning and sure enough, risk of fire or basically a bell housing "explosion" when the clutch plate shrapnel goes flying through. To check your VIN go here https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

This was the recall info posted when I looked up my VIN. I assume this applies to the JL/JLU as well since its the same transmission. Maybe Jeep will swap us out with a better clutch now and junk the original setup....especially with the Bronco about to roll out with a 7 speed. It never made any sense that our tow rating was so drastically affected from the auto, maybe the speculation about a weak clutch was correct.

Untitled.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I'll be curious as to what the fix is for this. I also want to know what extenuating circumstances there were to it. I saw the JL guy saying he only had 96 miles on his JL when the thing exploded. What did he do in 96 miles that made it fail? Bad batch of pressure plates? Why is it suddenly an issue? I've got 8100 trouble and clutch-smell free miles on mine. I'm very leery of letting FCA do the work I'm going to take mine to a local indy Jeep only shop and have them do it. But I'm curious as to what they come up with as a fix. I really hope a much more robust clutch assembly which they've admitted was crap from the beginning.

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
How much you wanna bet the bad clutch plates were manufactured by the same place where the bad steering boxes come from?

edit: not bashing who/where they were actually made. Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the final quality of all such parts on the company (FCA) who are paying for and building the vehicles they go into?

Last edited:

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
How much you wanna bet the bad clutch plates were manufactured by the same place where the bad steering boxes come from?
The same company has been busy trying to finish the trailer brake controller . . .

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The Aisin is being recalled but dealers do not have a fix yet. I assume this applies to ALL manuals, and Jeep has put a stop sale on all 6 speeds for the time being. I checked mine this morning and sure enough, risk of fire or basically a bell housing "explosion" when the clutch plate shrapnel goes flying through. To check your VIN go here https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

This was the recall info posted when I looked up my VIN. I assume this applies to the JL/JLU as well since its the same transmission. Maybe Jeep will swap us out with a halfway decent manual now and junk the Aisin D478....especially with the Bronco about to roll out with a 7 speed. It never made any sense that our tow rating was so drastically affected from the auto, maybe the speculation about a weak clutch was correct.

Untitled.png
Thanks. I just checked. My VIN is on the recall list. I am not bummed though... There is nothing wrong with the transmission. It is bad pressure plates that are part of the clutch assembly. I plan to continue to drive mine, not smoke the clutch......, and then, get the clutch, pressure plate, and possibly flywheel replaced for free by FCA sometime down the road... Almost like a free maintenance plan on normal wear items. Not so bad.

OP
OP
Paladin_JTR

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It says there is a bad batch of pressure plates, which is part of the clutch assembly. There is no mention of a transmission problem, or a bad transmission
Very true, the actual transmission itself (i.e. the gears/splines/teeth/bands/etc) are not a defective unit as a whole. But given that the D478 is the only transmission to have said issue it becomes a "manual transmission recall". Considering it can blow out the bell housing its not far fetched to say it could easily shrapnel through the aluminum cab floor. Add the risk of fire and it is now easy to consider a "major" recall lol. I for one do not like the idea of driving a claymore mine with or without the option of spontaneous combustion.

89775161_10163079831340082_585298347594612736_n.jpg

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
OP
OP
Paladin_JTR

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Very true, the actual transmission itself (i.e. the gears/splines/teeth/bands/etc) are not a defective unit as a whole. But given that the D478 is the only transmission to have said issue it becomes a "manual transmission recall". Considering it can blow out the bell housing its not far fetched to say it could easily shrapnel through the aluminum cab floor. Add the risk of fire and it is now easy to consider a "major" recall lol. I for one do not like the idea of driving a claymore mine with or without the option of spontaneous combustion.

89775161_10163079831340082_585298347594612736_n.jpg
If FCA, adds "Scatter Shield" instead of bell housing to the "pressure plate" parts list recall, then, you will have your bullet proof solution. lol.

fantabulum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Wrangler; 2020 Gladiator
Has anyone gone through a recall like this before? Any idea how long it usually takes to get a fix in place?

I signed for my Gladiator a few days ago. It came in today but the dealer says he can't let me have it until it's fixed.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Has anyone gone through a recall like this before? Any idea how long it usually takes to get a fix in place?

I signed for my Gladiator a few days ago. It came in today but the dealer says he can't let me have it until it's fixed.
Are they making you make payments on it while you wait? That would be complete BS.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Replacing a clutch and pressure plate is pretty easy. A few hours maybe... The real question is -- "Do they have the new, improved Pressure Plate ?

Last edited:

fantabulum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Wrangler; 2020 Gladiator
Are they making you make payments on it while you wait? That would be complete BS.
I'm not sure of all the details yet, but my bank still shows the loan as "pending". So for now, I'm driving their loaner Ram around, which I'm not crazy about. Oddly enough, the recall is dated the 3rd, but dealer said nothing came up when he pulled them on Saturday (3/7/20). Maybe they only identified Wranglers until just now? He says he expects it won't be more than a week, but not sure if he's just blowing smoke.
Sponsored