Sponsored

Confirm what I have/don’t have

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Not true with these.
Mine has verified limited slip and I can rotate the left tire forward and the right turns the opposite way. These are not the old-school LSDs with heavy pre-load on them.
You can indeed turn these like an open differential. It takes a torque difference for it to lock and you can't do that by hand.

The build sheet will show if it's got limited slip.

Look for this in your build sheet under options - if that's not there, then you don't have it.

8-Spd Auto 850RE Trans (Make)
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESS

I never go by the window sticker........... only the build sheet.

And the incorrect "anecdotal information" on limited slip that is just wrong is amazing. I've owned limited slip vehicles since I was 14 - my first car, and I've had them and open diff vehicles since. I also live in Iowa and have driven my LSD equipped through deep snow in blizzards where other vehicles feared to tread. They have their weak points but in Iowa snow and crap - I'll take limited slip except on pure ice where all wheels are on the ice.
You learn something every day, thanks for the correction on the LSD.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You learn something every day, thanks for the correction on the LSD.
I had my rear wheels (well, not mine, my truck's) up off the floor for some reason way back and realized - hey, this is a different animal than I'm used to. Maybe it was when I was swapping springs or something. In any case, it caused me pause.
I checked and sure enough - it's LSD but not the old-school cone or plate/clutch type I'm used to working on. It was a learning event for sure.

OP
OP
USMC-SSGT

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
This has been good info. Based on the build sheet and info here I’m certain I’m just a regular open diff.

Will now need to see if the extra $1200 is worth it for a rear locker. If I wheeled with this truck it’s a no brainer. Or even if I thought I may find myself in a situation where it could come in handy. In the previous 25 years though of not having lockers I’ve been fine.

Only real reason to consider is that whether I’d ever need it or not, it’s nice to have. Also it’s $1200 now, and if I ever want it after the fact it’s likely $2000+.

Awolnik

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Property Management
Only Max Tow gets a limited slip rear.

So you have an open differential. All JLs and JTs have BLD though. But that only kicks in if you are at a stop and really giving it gas. Then the system will identify the need for BLD and start engaging the brakes. You can also always two foot while offroad or in a tricky snow situation to "mimic" a locker as well.

You can always just go with a rear locker to save some money. That's what most 4x4s come with from the factory.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a LSD for the JL or JT, but if you are concerned with street traction over offroad, a LSD is a hundred times better than a rear locker or BLD. That is why I went Max Tow.
Willy's trim also gets the LSD

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This has been good info. Based on the build sheet and info here I’m certain I’m just a regular open diff.

Will now need to see if the extra $1200 is worth it for a rear locker. If I wheeled with this truck it’s a no brainer. Or even if I thought I may find myself in a situation where it could come in handy. In the previous 25 years though of not having lockers I’ve been fine.

Only real reason to consider is that whether I’d ever need it or not, it’s nice to have. Also it’s $1200 now, and if I ever want it after the fact it’s likely $2000+.
There's at least one, maybe more, threads on the "need" or "perceived need" for lockers. There's no consensus and many who do some pretty heavy "wheeling" have stated they have seen no need.

Necessary? Apparently that's up for debate, even among those who do off-roading on a fairly regular basis.

Sponsored

OP
OP
USMC-SSGT

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
There's at least one, maybe more, threads on the "need" or "perceived need" for lockers. There's no consensus and many who do some pretty heavy "wheeling" have stated they have seen no need.

Necessary? Apparently that's up for debate, even among those who do off-roading on a fairly regular basis.
Im going to use this logic. Even if it’s much cheaper while they are already in there, it’s still substantial cost. $1200+ can go to a lot of other items on my list.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Im going to use this logic. Even if it’s much cheaper while they are already in there, it’s still substantial cost. $1200+ can go to a lot of other items on my list.
If I didn't have a factory LSD, I'd just go with a rear Eaton E-Locker instead.

Front and rear lockers are great for rock crawling, where you will have a wheel or two in the air. But for my offroading, it is extremely rare to have a wheel off the ground.

Example, I've never used my winch. But I have had some oh shit moments hitting a large mud bog, where if I had lockers, I would have engaged them. In the end I didn't need them. These rigs are highly capable.

With my old Tacoma, I had to engage the rear locker quite a bit, but I was on skinny 32-33" tires, with less articulation, and less weight over the rear.

OP
OP
USMC-SSGT

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
If I didn't have a factory LSD, I'd just go with a rear Eaton E-Locker instead.

Front and rear lockers are great for rock crawling, where you will have a wheel or two in the air. But for my offroading, it is extremely rare to have a wheel off the ground.
If I added one this would be the route I would go. OX or Eaton E locker rear only.

Looks like it won’t be during the gear work however. I’m going to put the money into other items and decide down the line if I think I need one.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
lockers definitely useful when wheeling in the northeast esp in the rear. heading into my third New England winter and I have found that 4Hi is all that I ever needed for driving through snow.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lockers definitely useful when wheeling in the northeast esp in the rear. heading into my third New England winter and I have found that 4Hi is all that I ever needed for driving through snow.
4hi and good tires..........

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Only Max Tow gets a limited slip rear.

So you have an open differential. All JLs and JTs have BLD though. But that only kicks in if you are at a stop and really giving it gas. Then the system will identify the need for BLD and start engaging the brakes. You can also always two foot while offroad or in a tricky snow situation to "mimic" a locker as well.

You can always just go with a rear locker to save some money. That's what most 4x4s come with from the factory.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a LSD for the JL or JT, but if you are concerned with street traction over offroad, a LSD is a hundred times better than a rear locker or BLD. That is why I went Max Tow.
You can get the LSD on any Gladiator except Rubicon and Mojave. Where it's not standard, it's a $595 add on.
Screenshot_20211201-234154_Firefox.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can gt the LSD on any Gladiator except Rubicon and Mojave. where it's not standard, it's a $595 add on.
Jeep Gladiator Confirm what I have/don’t have Screenshot_20211201-234154_Firefox
It wasn't available in the Sport series in 2019 when I ordered, was in the Overland. A lot has changed in the last year or two.

Here's what happened with mine this AM - we left at about 7am for KS. Back roads, rural blacktops, came up to a stop sign and stopped - there was a car coming a little ways off - my wife was in a hurry and said "go, they are going slow". So I hit the gas and my truck sat there spinning and started to swing sideways. I let up, hit the gas again, and again, spun the wheels taking off. I had to really lightly gently apply the gas and we took off.
But hitting how I normally would have if I wanted to quickly get into traffic, today it spun and slid sideways.
OK, the pavement was damp, like maybe a light rain over night and sometimes the county does slime the roads with their BS brine crap - maybe it was that, but for the truck to SPIN the rear tires and actually slide around to the right was like - huh? What the hell happened to TRACTION CONTROL. My chevy would have CUT POWER to the engine! And it did that to me a time or two - when I nailed it on wet roads I could feel the engine back off.
Nope, not this thing - it was like driving my 1970 truck all over again. No traction!
It not only spun the rear wheels - twice - but it started to slide around and I had to quickly let off. And no, I was not flooring it! Just trying to move briskly.
This truck has done this to me before - time for the dealer to tell me why traction control rarely works. And I'd have thought that the BLD should have done something as well.

OP
OP
USMC-SSGT

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
It wasn't available in the Sport series in 2019 when I ordered, was in the Overland. A lot has changed in the last year or two.

Here's what happened with mine this AM - we left at about 7am for KS. Back roads, rural blacktops, came up to a stop sign and stopped - there was a car coming a little ways off - my wife was in a hurry and said "go, they are going slow". So I hit the gas and my truck sat there spinning and started to swing sideways. I let up, hit the gas again, and again, spun the wheels taking off. I had to really lightly gently apply the gas and we took off.
But hitting how I normally would have if I wanted to quickly get into traffic, today it spun and slid sideways.
OK, the pavement was damp, like maybe a light rain over night and sometimes the county does slime the roads with their BS brine crap - maybe it was that, but for the truck to SPIN the rear tires and actually slide around to the right was like - huh? What the hell happened to TRACTION CONTROL. My chevy would have CUT POWER to the engine! And it did that to me a time or two - when I nailed it on wet roads I could feel the engine back off.
Nope, not this thing - it was like driving my 1970 truck all over again. No traction!
It not only spun the rear wheels - twice - but it started to slide around and I had to quickly let off. And no, I was not flooring it! Just trying to move briskly.
This truck has done this to me before - time for the dealer to tell me why traction control rarely works. And I'd have thought that the BLD should have done something as well.
Dukes of hazard!

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
Are you still running stock size tires?

Like others have said good tires are better than a locker on snowy roads, it’s only when you are stock in a ditch once you slide off the road you’ll want the locker.
Sponsored