First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don’t know there’s much you can do about increasing your trailer tow capacity. Total towing capacity is limited by the GCWR.

Here’s why: the difference between my diesel rubi (11,800 GCWR) and a 3.6L auto rubi (12,450 GCWR) tow capacity difference is 1000lbs (6000lbs vs 7000lbs). I’m thinking the majority of that difference is a result of the heavier weight of the diesel (I think ~400lbs) and diesel rated suspension, reducing available payload, which eats into the trailer rating (GCWR - (CURB WEIGHT+Driver+Passengers+stuff) = max available trailer tongue weight remaining).

Since trailer tongue weight is supposed to be ~10% of the trailer weight, you can calculate how heavy you can tow once you know what your truck weighs (get it weighed at a CAT SCALE) as you intend to travel, and subtract that weight from the CGWR.

I hope that was helpful
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I would also suggest not removing the wind dam down below the front bumper. If I remember right someone did some test (on a JK) and the wind dam helped pull more air through the radiator. Removing it neutralized the air flow and it did not draw nearly as good.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I went to a heat extraction hood and I can tell you the heat blows out the sides and tops of the vents a few weeks ago about 7K in the mountains with a 3k trailer. Temp was about 85 degrees. Will need to see when it gets above 95.

IMG_6051.jpeg
Did you add the extraction hood due to the amount of blockage provided by the bumper and winch?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
You do realize that removing heat from the engine compartment is going to have a minimal effect on actual engine cooling, right? These are liquid-cooled, not air-cooled, motors.
Now, improving air flow across the radiator, or adding additional radiator cores, or increasing coolant flow, that’s a different story.

Me, I wouldn’t worry about unless it proves to be a problem.

Kevin

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I think the idea is if you vent through the hood it will increase flow over the radiator.

Sponsored

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
I'm no where close to being a mechanic, but own a lot of vehicles in a construction company that tows a lot of equipment and trailers. The best thing I've done over the years is add transmission coolers to the 1/2ton trucks. Most are GM trucks and it has extended the life of the transmissions. I would commonly have transmission failures at or under 100k miles. That has changed now to 200k miles plus, if at all.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled about 4700# up 7-9% grades in the summer @ 60mph. 488 gears/ 3.6 gas. No cooling issues at all. Trans or motor. Diesel should have no Motor or trans issues. Your towing restrictions are due to suspension and axles. It's not Motor performance related.
Jeep Gladiator Cooling options for towing? Jeepcampin

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I pulled about 4700# up 7-9% grades in the summer @ 60mph. 488 gears/ 3.6 gas. No cooling issues at all. Trans or motor. Diesel should have no Motor or trans issues. Your towing restrictions are due to suspension and axles. It's not Motor performance related.
how do you feel about the 4.88? What size tire?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
how do you feel about the 4.88? What size tire?
285/75/18 ( 35/11.5/18) I think the combination 488 & 35" tire is awesome. Great increase in all around performance. Getting 16 MPG average. As good if not better than what you would get struggling with stock 373's. I am using all 8 gears in transmission now. Was seeing mostly 5th and 6th with the 373.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I went to a heat extraction hood and I can tell you the heat blows out the sides and tops of the vents a few weeks ago about 7K in the mountains with a 3k trailer. Temp was about 85 degrees. Will need to see when it gets above 95.

Very, very nice, but your winch line is killing my OCD. :whew:

Sponsored

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Did you add the extraction hood due to the amount of blockage provided by the bumper and winch?
Exactly the reason. I had a winch cover as well and the fans came on almost right away. After some discussions with a diesel engine off road shop we started thinking of some better ways to get air flow. So far so good.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Very, very nice, but your winch line is killing my OCD. :whew:
LOL. Its been fixed since. We were hauling some dead trees from a path that day and I fixed when I got home.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hi All,

Have the overland model -diesel, with the towing package.
<snip>

Restricted airflow is a reason I see they lowered the tow rating
What puzzles me, if restricted airflow is the issue (supposedly, this is why they made the grille screen with larger honeycomb than Wrangler), why does the Overland have those silver inserts that reduce the size of the seven slots ???

OP
OP
Overland-2021

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Great content here - thank you all!

There where two reasons I started thinking about heat.
1 - I read a few off roaders going slow in high temps adding vents because the vehicle exceeded manufacture ratings - at least those tested for. I know I'll be just fine 98% of the time. I saw myself stuck in traffic on a hot summer day and winced.
2 - Longevity and reliability. I always operate my equipment below manufacturers recommendations because I know it will last longer and stay reliable (well maintained of course). I read gas JT folks are pulling trailers up steep grades at redline and say thats within specs. Don't care what anybody tells me, I know thats not good for it. Even if it is modern technology.

Seems odd to me that FCA would use limited air flow due to cosmetic design of the grill to reduce towing capacity - If the engineering is that precise then why do a bunch of after market mods that block or modify the airflow not void warrantees - they seem to like doing that. And why not provide a solution? Its just math... And our $ :)

I purchased an OBDLink and plan on watching temps closely.
If I need to, I'll go with an additional liquid cooler.

Thanks Everybody

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Great content here - thank you all!

There where two reasons I started thinking about heat.
1 - I read a few off roaders going slow in high temps adding vents because the vehicle exceeded manufacture ratings - at least those tested for. I know I'll be just fine 98% of the time. I saw myself stuck in traffic on a hot summer day and winced.
2 - Longevity and reliability. I always operate my equipment below manufacturers recommendations because I know it will last longer and stay reliable (well maintained of course). I read gas JT folks are pulling trailers up steep grades at redline and say thats within specs. Don't care what anybody tells me, I know thats not good for it. Even if it is modern technology.

Seems odd to me that FCA would use limited air flow due to cosmetic design of the grill to reduce towing capacity - If the engineering is that precise then why do a bunch of after market mods that block or modify the airflow not void warrantees - they seem to like doing that. And why not provide a solution? Its just math... And our $ :)

I purchased an OBDLink and plan on watching temps closely.
If I need to, I'll go with an additional liquid cooler.

Thanks Everybody
Check out this video. Pay attention to when they tow up a hill and the coolant temp and near the end when he talks more about it.
Sponsored